475 replies to this topic

#181 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 12:11 AM

Going to love the pitch clock. Shot clock revolutionized basketball.

Game is all walks and strikeouts. Speed those events up.
  • russsnyder likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#182 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 12:41 AM

Just go watch highlights of a Mark Buerhle outing and tell me it isn’t much more satisfying than watching Pedro Baez scratch his nuts for 45 seconds.
  • Hooded Viper likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#183 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 February 2023 - 01:04 AM

Just go watch highlights of a Mark Buerhle outing and tell me it isn’t much more satisfying than watching Pedro Baez scratch his nuts for 45 seconds.

I ain’t buying it. Buehrle was a refreshing change because he was an isolated case. Don’t need that every night

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#184 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 02:33 AM

I guess basketball doesn’t need a shot clock. The chess match of passing the ball around in a four corners offense for three straight minutes. Just, riveting stuff.

Maybe football shouldn’t have a play clock. We can watch offenses send guys in motion for 90 seconds. QBs Shout random things that may or may not mean anything. That would be so much more fascinating than you know, executing a play.
  • BSLSteveBirrer and russsnyder like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#185 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 07:16 AM

Love the clock.

#186 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 09:58 AM

#187 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 09:59 AM

MASN: Infield prospects drawing praise at Orioles camp

https://www.masnspor...at-orioles-camp

#188 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 10:00 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles roster battles: Evaluating Baltimore’s camp competitions with spring training games underway

#189 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 10:49 AM

I absolutely love it. Players will get used to it. Games will be much better paced. Same amount of outs to finish the game.

Spot on.

The majority of these guys will make the necessary adjustments very quickly.

This is the only rule change that I agree with. I watched a couple of innings of the Braves/Red Sox game and nothing seemed rushed. Is it too much to expect these guys to be ready to hit or pitch?
  • BobPhelan likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#190 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 February 2023 - 10:49 AM

So for those who haven't been able to watch a game yet (thanks again, John) how impactful was it on the pace? Did anyone get called for a violation today?

Also, can you recall seeing any hits today where you were like, "if the shift was still around, that would've been an out."

Santander and Daz Cameron each got called for one walking up to the plate, I think that will be the biggest adjustment. Not so much in between pitches.

Kjerstad’s third hit was a hard hit one hopper through the right side, if a shift was on it could’ve been an out.

I think even the people that say they hate the pitch clock now will love it by June or just not even think about it. It is very fan friendly especially having seen it a ton in the minors last year.
  • BSLMikeLowe and russsnyder like this

#191 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:36 AM

It’s just not baseball if we can’t stare in awe as the batter adjusts his gloves after every single pitch. And those poor people in the stadium ops department who are going to have to play the walk up music at a much faster beat. The horror.

• russsnyder likes this

#192 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,720 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:37 AM

Lol at taking it to the extreme the other way like the poster did above. No problem with a pitch clock in general. Not at the numbers they are now. The bigger problem is the subjectivity it brings to the game and allowing umps discretion. Everyone was confused at that strike that ended the Atl-Bos game yesterday. Thats exactly what baseball needs. So close to having a sport where the officials have no subjectivity or discretion once roboump is installed to now adding more into the game. Awesome.

#193 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,720 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:42 AM

Santander and Daz Cameron each got called for one walking up to the plate, I think that will be the biggest adjustment. Not so much in between pitches.

Kjerstad’s third hit was a hard hit one hopper through the right side, if a shift was on it could’ve been an out.

I think even the people that say they hate the pitch clock now will love it by June or just not even think about it. It is very fan friendly especially having seen it a ton in the minors last year.

Nope. Regardless of if I think its rushing both the batter/hitter in between pitches I hate that it gives umps more power. There will be more issues like the Atl-Bos game yesterday if they are going to hard enforce it. Will be times when teams say pitcher was at fault and others where the opponent says batter is at fault. More responsibility on subjective matters for officials sucks balls

#194 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:45 AM

Of course there’s going to be kinks and confusion the first weekend. Get it worked out now. I think it’s a good thing, with the right to change my mind after watching it in games a while.

The pickoff rule is the weird one to me. That just seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

#195 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:46 AM

I think it’s pretty shortsighted to cater the sport to the whims of kids who couldn’t be bothered from looking away from their smartphone long enough to form an educated opinion, but I’ll reserve judgement until I see it in action. 

#196 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:50 AM

Of course there’s going to be kinks and confusion the first weekend. Get it worked out now. I think it’s a good thing, with the right to change my mind after watching it in games a while.

The pickoff rule is the weird one to me. That just seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

The pick off rule is ludicrous IMO.

MLB has placed limits on the amount of pick off attempts a team can make while altering the balk rule in the process.

#197 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,720 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:50 AM

These pitchers are absolutely rushing. Ive watched video of 10 or 15 different batter/pitcher matchups. Just up the times in all the situations. 15 sec is too short. Hitter gets brused back by an up and in 100 fastball and hits the dirt are we just making him get up dusted off and in the box within 7 sec. Really? Walks will also probably be up if they hard enforce this.
  • russsnyder likes this

#198 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:55 AM

Nope. Regardless of if I think its rushing both the batter/hitter in berween pitches I hate that it gives umps more power. There will be more issues like the Atl-Bos game yesterday if they are going to hard enforce it. Will be times when teams say pitcher was at fault and others where the opponent says batter is at fault. More responsibility on subjective matters for officials sucks balls

I think the fact that MLB umps have been resistant to enforce previous rules to speed up the game (keeping one foot in the box, not enforcing any type of pace of play by the pitcher,etc.) forced MLB's hand in implementing the hard clock.

#199 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:59 AM

The pitch clock was even shorter in the minors last year (14 and 19 or 18 vs 15 and 20 now). I think pitchers will get used to it. If everyone hated it in the minors I think they’d have been more resistant.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#200 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 12:01 PM

These pitchers are absolutely rushing. Ive watched video of 10 or 15 different batter/pitcher matchups. Just up the times in all the situations. 15 sec is too short. Hitter gets brused back by an up and in 100 fastball and hits the dirt are we just making him get up dusted off and in the box within 7 sec. Really? Walks will also probably be up if they hard enforce this.

I think you make a good point about the batter having seven seconds after hitting the deck. Perhaps they could tweak this by having the home plate ump signnal the clock to stop and to start when the hitter gathers themselves.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=