475 replies to this topic

#201 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 February 2023 - 12:09 PM

I think you make a good point about the batter having seven seconds after hitting the deck. Perhaps they could tweak this by having the home plate ump signnal the clock to stop and to start when the hitter gathers themselves.

Or it’ll be one of those unwritten rules where the catcher holds the ball a little longer, maybe hands it to the ump to look at, to give the batter a few extra seconds before tossing it back to the pitcher to start the clock.

This isn’t any different than the pace of the game was several decades ago. I don’t know how or why all the slow-playing became the norm, but it didn’t enhance the game at all. I think the players will adjust. And it might even be a small plus for the Orioles during that adjustment since they have so many guys who were in the minors recently.

• russsnyder likes this

#202 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 12:17 PM

Or it’ll be one of those unwritten rules where the catcher holds the ball a little longer, maybe hands it to the ump to look at, to give the batter a few extra seconds before tossing it back to the pitcher to start the clock.

This isn’t any different than the pace of the game was several decades ago. I don’t know how or why all the slow-playing became the norm, but it didn’t enhance the game at all. I think the players will adjust. And it might even be a small plus for the Orioles during that adjustment since they have so many guys who were in the minors recently.

That's an excellent suggestion.

I agree thatthe slow pace of play hasn't done anything to enhance the game. I can't think of anything more difficult than playing defense in one of those four hour nine inning marathons while pitchers are dawdling on the mound between pitches and walk up music is being played during a hitter's fourth ab in the sixth inning.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#203 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,717 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 01:14 PM

The pace needed to increase. Said that in my first post. This is taking it to the extreme. I would hope they will be adjustable with the clock and there will be lenency shown once things begin. I hate strongly enforcing this where teams will say the batter wasnt ready and the opponemet will say the pitcher did something to make the batter not ready. And now you got the umps making subjective calls. What happens if a bug flies into the mouth or eye as a pitcher is on the clock and has to wind up. Lets hope that shit dont happen in a crucial count. Its all stupid

#204 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 03:59 PM

The in-between innings score on MLB.TV is making miss playing Skyrim. 

Ungh, Hoo-ah Huh!

#205 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 04:03 PM

Yeah put me down as one who likes the clock!!

#206 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 05:53 PM

Lol at taking it to the extreme the other way like the poster did above. No problem with a pitch clock in general. Not at the numbers they are now. The bigger problem is the subjectivity it brings to the game and allowing umps discretion. Everyone was confused at that strike that ended the Atl-Bos game yesterday. Thats exactly what baseball needs. So close to having a sport where the officials have no subjectivity or discretion once roboump is installed to now adding more into the game. Awesome.

A clock hitting zero is objective.
Deciding if a pitch caught enough of the edge of an imaginary box and calling it a ball or strike is subjective.
@BSLMikeRandall

#207 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,970 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 February 2023 - 06:14 PM

The pitch clock was even shorter in the minors last year (14 and 19 or 18 vs 15 and 20 now). I think pitchers will get used to it. If everyone hated it in the minors I think they’d have been more resistant.

This. And they adjusted pretty quickly and I never heard any complaints after that.
  • makoman likes this

#208 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,717 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 06:21 PM

Sure its gonna be that black and white. No grey areas at all.

#209 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 06:30 PM

This. And they adjusted pretty quickly and I never heard any complaints after that.

Yeah the article I read said there were like 1.7 violations per game in week 2 and 0.4 in week 24, something like that.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#210 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 February 2023 - 06:39 PM

I might change my mind once I start seeing it in action with regularity, but I'm on board with the clock. Like has been said, the trial in the minors worked well so I'd think it should work well in the majors as well.

#211 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 February 2023 - 07:03 PM

I’m gonna need to see proof that more people are tuning in because of the clock before I support it.

I’m a baseball junkie so obviously my opinion is biased but I never felt the need to speed the game up this dramatically.
  • PrimeTime likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#212 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,970 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 February 2023 - 07:27 PM

I don’t care if brings in zero new viewers (ok, maybe one. Would be nice if it helped keep my sons attention…) it’s just nice to have haha.
  • mweb08 likes this

#213 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 February 2023 - 08:26 PM

Agreed Bob. I'm not especially concerned about the impact this will have on the popularity of the game, though I think it will be positive, I simply think it will make the game more enjoyable personally. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#214 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 09:49 PM

It’s also like day three of ST. The adjustment will come. Had a game on the radio for a few minutes driving around today and the PBP guy added things like “5 on the pitch clock” “He’s gonna have to hurry,” to the broadcast. It’s a little annoying, and once they figure out they don’t have to do that, and these guys. Internal clocks adjust, it’ll be like watching baseball as normal, except at a better pace.

The best way to speed the game up is get more balls in play. Somewhere in this century we got away from that. More balls in play means more action and quicker outs. Since we can’t figure out how to do that, this is the next best thing.
@BSLMikeRandall

#215 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 February 2023 - 07:48 AM

A clock hitting zero is objective.
Deciding if a pitch caught enough of the edge of an imaginary box and calling it a ball or strike is subjective.

A clock hitting zero is objective? Sure seems like it should be but how often in the NFL does the play clock go to 0 before the snap and the offense isn't called for a delay of game? The Super Bowl was pathetic in that regard!

#216 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:34 AM

A clock hitting zero is objective? Sure seems like it should be but how often in the NFL does the play clock go to 0 before the snap and the offense isn't called for a delay of game? The Super Bowl was pathetic in that regard!

The NFL's idiotic and shoddy system of enforcing their own play clock probably shouldn't be used as a comparison to what MLB is trying to do. :) Seriously, it's a ridiculous process by which they rely on the excuse of the ref needing to see zeroes and then look down to see the snap hasn't occurred yet, which by nature builds in an inconsistent, variable "grace period". It's dumb. We're not in the 30s anymore. A buzzer should go off on one or two referees hip when the clock hits zero. And it should be reviewable by the booth so coaches don't have to waste a TO.

I haven't paid enough attention to the details of how MLB is enforcing their clocks now, but I hope it isn't on the umpires to watch clocks, or keep clocks in their head, but is otherwise automatically signaled to them. If they're not using additional technology or resources to aid in it, then I expect it will be as big a joke as the NFL system.

#217 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:05 AM

MASN: This, that and the other

https://www.masnspor...-the-other-1-25

#218 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 February 2023 - 10:13 AM

Fp19-d2-Xs-AAVMT2.png

• You Play to Win the Game and 1970 like this

#219 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 10:17 AM

The rule is stupid, but its not actually a penalty when the clock hits zero.  Its a penalty when the umpire sees the clock hit zero, then looks to the center, and sees if the ball is in the process of being snapped.  If it isn't being snapped after all that, then its a penalty.

Dumbest implementation possible of what should be a simple rule.  

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#220 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 10:19 AM

Regarding the pickoff rule...

Is it a balk, or just the runner being picked off gets awarded the next base if the third try is unsuccesful?

If its a first-and-third situation, does the runner on 3rd score if the runner on 1st can avoid 3 pickoff attempts?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=