149 replies to this topic

#81 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:17 PM

I'm getting this sinking feeling that the hire is going to be from the existing staff.  

God I hope not. 

#82 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 06:58 PM

God I hope not. 

Don't rain on John's dream.  :wink:

#83 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 09:45 PM

I'll be very disappointed if Urban or Godsey get the job.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#84 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 09:58 PM

I'll be very disappointed if Urban or Godsey get the job.

They only silver lining if Godsey gets it is that he’s only been with the team this one season, and isn’t a Harbaugh disciple. Maybe he could put a different spin on things. Urban would probably just run back the Roman playbook out of comfort.

But yeah, a few external candidates seem much more exciting.
@BSLMikeRandall

#85 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 10:13 AM

Nathaniel Hackett to the Jets.
@BSLMikeRandall

#86 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 11:42 AM

They only silver lining if Godsey gets it is that he’s only been with the team this one season, and isn’t a Harbaugh disciple. Maybe he could put a different spin on things. Urban would probably just run back the Roman playbook out of comfort.

But yeah, a few external candidates seem much more exciting.

There's nothing wrong with Roman's playbook imo. It's just how he used it.

#87 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,105 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 12:05 PM

There's nothing wrong with Roman's playbook imo. It just how he used it.

If that's the case, and I largely agree, wouldn't that allow for an internal candidate who could leverage a lot of the same plays but do a smarter job of gameflow and general approach to not be inherently a bad hire?

#88 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 12:06 PM

There's nothing wrong with Roman's playbook imo. It just how he used it.

That’s part of it. He would pull out stuff like QB sneak from the 2 instead of anything else.

The other part is the passing routes on play designs where guys end up in the same spot. That would not change if someone keeps many of the plays the offense is used to running.
@BSLMikeRandall

#89 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 12:26 PM

If that's the case, and I largely agree, wouldn't that allow for an internal candidate who could leverage a lot of the same plays but do a smarter job of gameflow and general approach to not be inherently a bad hire?

I would be all for that. Actually I would be all for anyone who didn't call three pass plays inside the 5 when you have Dobbins and Gus available. I'm not an OC, but some things simply aren't rocket science. 

#90 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 January 2023 - 01:15 PM

There's nothing wrong with Roman's playbook imo. It's just how he used it.

I think a lot of his passing concepts were doomed.  Too often he'd have guys with bad spacing, bad timing on rubs, poorly coordinated breaks, etc.  You look a good pass teams and you just don't see that.  I think personnel had something to do with that (our receiver room was probably the worst in the league even factoring in our all-pro TE) but I can't help but wonder if some of it was just bad play design.

#91 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 01:49 PM

A lot of folks with NFL backgrounds have mocked Roman's passing schemes in recent years, so it's not just Harbaugh's dreaded "guy at the bar" griping.  :)  I've posted some pics of two receivers running side by side and turning the same way, to basically allow ONE dropping LB to cover them both... or that ridiculous trick play with Proche throwing the ball, where the other receiver routes on the same play helped bring extra coverage TO the intended target (which was then picked off in the endzone).

But yeah, my guess is that there's plenty of stuff in "Roman's playbook" that is perfectly legit.  The bigger issue is what he pulls out of the playbook in the course of a game, the sections he chooses to ignore, and the personnel he oddly calls on in big situations (especially redzone).  

When guys like Edwards and Dobbins are averaging 7 to 9 yards per carry midway through the 3rd quarter, then barely touch the ball AT ALL the rest of the game (a close game) that's mind boggling.  When those guys aren't on the field in first and goal sets, while you're throwing to FBs and running up the gut with TEs, that's mind boggling.  When you choose to call on your not-very-decisive and really-not-good QB to sneak from nearly two yards out, instead of pounding your FB lead with a Gus Bus right on his tail... and your play results in a 99 yard fumble TD return the other way, to basically end your season, that's mind boggling.

Keep the playbook with some tweaks.  Manage the game and personnel packages a lot better.

#92 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 02:26 PM

I would be all for that. Actually I would be all for anyone who didn't call three pass plays inside the 5 when you have Dobbins and Gus available. I'm not an OC, but some things simply aren't rocket science.

This should be a question they ask in the interview.
@BSLMikeRandall

#93 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:17 PM

The issues with Roman's play designs are pretty nuanced.  I don't think it's necessarily fair to say, "oh, he ran 4 guys in a curl route, ha ha what a loser" or "there's 3 guys bunched up on this play,  ha ha this guy doesn't know how to design routes."  (Well, his route designs are bad, but thats beside the point.)  One example that was pointed out was an all-curls route, which is basically 4 or  5 guys that run 10 yards and all curl in, typically from trips.  Someone criticized this play design, but Kyle Shanahan runs the exact same route, and he does so successfully.  But when the Ravens run it, the spacing is off by maybe 1 or 2 yards, so you have receivers that are a little too close to each other.  Or the receivers curl in the same direction, allowing the underneath defender to more effectively cover both of them.  Or the Ravens run it when they're against press man, which is ineffective because it's a zone beater, specifically against quarters zone.  I feel like these details are subtle, but they can have a big impact on the success rate of a play, and Roman is terrible at getting these details right.

• Mike in STL and bmore_ken like this

#94 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:53 PM

The issues with Roman's play designs are pretty nuanced. I don't think it's necessarily fair to say, "oh, he ran 4 guys in a curl route, ha ha what a loser" or "there's 3 guys bunched up on this play, ha ha this guy doesn't know how to design routes." (Well, his route designs are bad, but thats beside the point.) One example that was pointed out was an all-curls route, which is basically 4 or 5 guys that run 10 yards and all curl in, typically from trips. Someone criticized this play design, but Kyle Shanahan runs the exact same route, and he does so successfully. But when the Ravens run it, the spacing is off by maybe 1 or 2 yards, so you have receivers that are a little too close to each other. Or the receivers curl in the same direction, allowing the underneath defender to more effectively cover both of them. Or the Ravens run it when they're against press man, which is ineffective because it's a zone beater, specifically against quarters zone. I feel like these details are subtle, but they can have a big impact on the success rate of a play, and Roman is terrible at getting these details right.

And especially that last part, is why you need to have your QB at the line with 15 seconds left to read that and call a hot route. Not with 2, screaming for the ball to be snapped, and the play is very well defended.
@BSLMikeRandall

#95 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 09:58 AM

Who is going to want to come here not knowing if you are going to create an offense for Lamar Jackson or Tyler Huntley.

If that's the case look for a promtion from within.

#96 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 10:00 AM

Who is going to want to come here not knowing if you are going to create an offense for Lamar Jackson or Tyler Huntley.

If that's the case look for a promtion from within.

If Lamar is traded, there is a zero percent chance they build around Huntley.

#97 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 11:37 AM

Nobody wants to "create an offense" for Tyler Huntley... :)
  • bmore_ken likes this

#98 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,721 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 12:01 PM

If Lamar is traded, there is a zero percent chance they build around Huntley.

Hahha. Who is your new boytoy of the week. Its Brock Purdy now thats right. Slidemaster the players player. Love em and leave em.

#99 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 02:07 PM

Hahha. Who is your new boytoy of the week. Its Brock Purdy now thats right. Slidemaster the players player. Love em and leave em.

I don't say this often, but you must be legitimately stupid. It's the only explanation I can come up with for how incapable you are of understanding basic english, and the most simple of thought processes.

#100 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,721 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 02:23 PM

I don't say this often, but you must be legitimately stupid. It's the only explanation I can come up with for how incapable you are of understanding basic english, and the most simple of thought processes.

Sure dude. You dont love on tons of other QBs around the league while shitting on Lamar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=