149 replies to this topic

#61 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 01:55 PM

I said total rebuild if Lamar leaves and I stand by it.  Lamar is the most unique QB in the league.  Without him it changes so much.  It would be a huge blunder for the Ravens to hire someone based on a Lamar led offense, but then have Lamar gone.  The entire system would have to be thrown in the trash and then... wait for it... rebuilt. 

Not if you find a qb with a similar skill set and that seems to be getting towards being the norm now anyway. A new coordinator is likely going to change some things even if Lamar is retained anyway.

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 02:03 PM

I said total rebuild if Lamar leaves and I stand by it.  Lamar is the most unique QB in the league.  Without him it changes so much.  It would be a huge blunder for the Ravens to hire someone based on a Lamar led offense, but then have Lamar gone.  The entire system would have to be thrown in the trash and then... wait for it... rebuilt. 

Is there anything besides finding a new QB that entails a total rebuild?

Its the NFL, nobody really rebuilds.  You search for a QB until you have one, then once you have one you're good and try to be as good as you can.  The playbook likely needs to change with a different QB from Lamar (unless you draft a rookie that you're gonna follow the same mold) but the roster doesn't really need to change aside from needing general improvements to a few position groups no matter who the QB will be.

#63 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 02:23 PM

If Lamar leaves, I would expect the Ravens to go back to a more traditional, drop-back passer offense.   There is no one available for next season who can run an offense designed for Lamar.   My point is it would be a mistake for the Ravens to hire someone with the expectations of improving Roman's system for Lamar, and then have Daniel Jones come in here.  A totally different system is needed.  Yes, you still have some good starting pieces for this new system;  but if you hire a guy to drive your Ferrari and then give him the keys to a Ford F-150, it may not work out well.  

#64 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 24 January 2023 - 03:41 PM

To SouthRider's point, this is why I mentioned last week that hiring an OC with the uncertainty at QB might be difficult. Unless you have a coach that has a system that he believes any quarterback will fit in to.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 03:41 PM

Bill O'Brien off the market. Doubt that'll break any hearts.

#66 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 04:12 PM

Bill O'Brien off the market. Doubt that'll break any hearts.

He’s probably a fine OC and it was just a Peter principle thing. Not that I’d want him.

Maybe Matt Patricia’s available.

#67 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 04:49 PM

https://twitter.com/...3F9U5AFY4S-AwtA

No way this guy, who I would love to have, picks the ravens over the Chargers offensive talent.

#68 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 04:56 PM

No way this guy, who I would love to have, picks the ravens over the Chargers offensive talent.

The Chargers are definitely the most enticing place due to the talent.

Money can always change minds. Also I could see Staley (and obviously his staff) being fired next year, Harbs isn't there yet, that matters a little bit.

• You Play to Win the Game, Hooded Viper, Mackus and 1 other like this

#69 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 24 January 2023 - 05:17 PM

The Chargers are definitely the most enticing place due to the talent.

Money can always change minds. Also I could see Staley (and obviously his staff) being fired next year, Harbs isn't there yet, that matters a little bit.

I'd say that the main reason that the Chargers are better is because they have certainty with Herbert since he's still on his rookie deal.  If Lamar is in the fold long term then the Ravens are at least as good and possibly better, depending on how much you think Harbaugh is going to help you get a future HC gig.

#70 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:43 PM

Why doesn't McVay want to keep this guy .?

#71 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:50 PM

Why doesn't McVay want to keep this guy .?

I think McVay was wishy washy on coming back himself so he gave the staff his blessing to look for other jobs.

Besides that, I don’t think coaches ever really stand in the way of people looking for promotions. In this case McVay is the play caller so it’s OC in name only really.
  • makoman likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#72 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 08:39 PM

He’s probably a fine OC and it was just a Peter principle thing. Not that I’d want him.

Maybe Matt Patricia’s available.

Bill O'Brien was New England's OC in 2011 when they went 13-3 scoring 513 points.  He might be a very good OC, just sucks very badly as a HC.  

Meanwhile the Ravens are interviewing the OC from Denver who finished dead last in points scored this season.  Hmm, I wonder who I would take.   

#73 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:08 PM

Bill O'Brien was New England's OC in 2011 when they went 13-3 scoring 513 points. He might be a very good OC, just sucks very badly as a HC.

Meanwhile the Ravens are interviewing the OC from Denver who finished dead last in points scored this season. Hmm, I wonder who I would take.

I saw that. Sounds like a potential disaster.

#74 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:16 PM

Bill O'Brien was New England's OC in 2011 when they went 13-3 scoring 513 points.  He might be a very good OC, just sucks very badly as a HC.  

Meanwhile the Ravens are interviewing the OC from Denver who finished dead last in points scored this season.  Hmm, I wonder who I would take.   

Apparently he only called plays the last two weeks, when they were much better. He was with Shanahan in Atlanta in 2016, with LaFleur in GB 2019-21, so he has a decent background.

I'm fine with them casting a wide net, but certainly hope that's not the hire. 

#75 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 01:29 AM

Jeff Zrebiec
@jeffzrebiec
·
15h
Ravens coach John Harbaugh has interviewed both QBs coach James Urban and TE coach George Godsey for his offensive coordinator opening.

@BSLMikeRandall

#76 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:42 AM

I saw that. Sounds like a potential disaster.

Yeah, that was a head scratcher for me.  Why the hell would you interview someone who oversaw the most pitiful offense in the league? Only Harbs could come up with that one. 

#77 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 03:07 PM

Panthers hiring Reich as head coach per Rapoport.

https://twitter.com/...685208181751808

#78 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 03:14 PM

Panthers hiring Reich as head coach per Rapoport.

https://twitter.com/...685208181751808

Should've seen this coming.  That's where he lives.

#79 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:20 PM

I'm getting this sinking feeling that the hire is going to be from the existing staff.  

#80 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:41 PM

I'm getting this sinking feeling that the hire is going to be from the existing staff.  

I'm sure it's what he'd prefer unfortunately.  Fingers crossed it's someone different, even if it has to be shoved on him from above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=