2648 replies to this topic

#621 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 05:40 PM

Georgia ran more than they passed the past few years so I think he knows how to run if needed. People say he's very good at adapting so I hope he will do whatever the situation calls for and take what the defense gives him.

From some of his quotes he seems like that kind of guy. Not married to doing things one way. 

• bmore_ken likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#622 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 09:18 AM

The thing I'm apprehensive about is that with all this emphasis on how improved the passing game is, Monken will stray away from the running game(including Lamar) a little too much. This is still a run first team and it's important that they continue to embrace that identity. If they become overly, pass happy, I think there's going to be problems, not to mention the likelihood of another Jackson injury.

People shouldn't get too hung up on the run/pass splits. As far as I'm concerned, a properly run screen to Bateman, OBJ or Flowers is every bit as good as a run to JK or Gus. But it will go down as a pass attempt. Lamar will have games this season with 35+ pass attempts. But If 15 of those are short, low risk, high percentage throws, they're every bit as good as a run play.

I just want to see variations. Roman was a genius when it came to attacking single high, or cover 3. His over route concepts destroyed the seams in those schemes. But he was absolutely horrendous at attacking 2 deep coverages. Whether it was man coverage with 2 deep, or a straight cover-2 zone, he struggled horribly with consistently beating it.

The teams we struggled against offensively, deployed 2 deep coverages almost exclusively. Excited to see an OC that can attack all coverages, and potentially deviate from a gameplan, in game, when the initial game plan isn't working.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#623 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 May 2023 - 02:20 PM

The Ravens signed veteran QB Josh Johnson.  It is probably just a camp body, but the new NFL rule that allows a team to dress a 3rd QB, without having him counting as a game day roster spot, probably helps Johnson.

@mikeghg

#624 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 May 2023 - 03:05 PM

No Lamar at today's OTA.

Very disappointing to me.  

• DuffMan likes this
@mikeghg

#625 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 03:07 PM

For anyone looking for some good Ravens reading on an O's off day, Ted Nguyen recently did a nice piece on Todd Monken's schemes and how they might show up in Baltimore: How new Ravens OC Todd Monken’s scheme will unlock a more complete Lamar Jackson - The Athletic

He really has such a varied background in the offenses he's run over his career. It's kind of amazing when you consider just how many OCs today are rigid with a particular system they've always known and been comfortable with.

• Mike B likes this

#626 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 03:34 PM

No Lamar at today's OTA.

I'm not worried about him not being there. As long as he reports to the mandatories, I'm good with that. He's been in the league 5 years. 

#627 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 May 2023 - 04:10 PM

No Lamar at today's OTA.

It would've been cool for Lamar to be there but Ray, Ed, Sizzle, etc rarely, if ever, reported to voluntary OTAs, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. But I can certainly understand the sentiment.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#628 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 05:09 PM

It would've been cool for Lamar to be there but Ray, Ed, Sizzle, etc rarely, if ever, reported to voluntary OTAs, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. But I can certainly understand the sentiment.

I care more because they’re installing a new offense, wouldn’t care much if it was same old same old. I saw on twitter team officials expect him to show up later in the week, we’ll see.

#629 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 22 May 2023 - 06:15 PM

I don't think it's a big deal, but after all the angst during his "negotiations", from a PR standpoint it would have been a good move on his part, even if all he did was watch and learn.

#630 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 07:08 PM

Apparently he will be here this week, just not sure which day.

#631 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 May 2023 - 08:27 PM

I think it is different coming off getting the huge deal and the Ravens installing a new offense.  JMO,  but it is a bad optic.

If he shows up tomorrow then it is not a big deal, I guess.

• DuffMan likes this
@mikeghg

#632 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,990 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 10:27 PM

I'm sure it's such a grueling thought for him to show up to OTAs after signing a massive contract extension.

Even if Ray, Suggs, Reed routinely skipped OTAs... their importance is not near what Lamar's is to the success of the team.

#633 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,638 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 11:44 PM

Someone can correct me if Im wrong but I dont think Joe showed up to all OTAs every year. A guy based out of Jersey who went through plenty of new OCs after signing his big deal. Not judging either guy but some want to criticize Lamar for things they never considered criticizing others for doing
  • bmore_ken likes this

#634 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 11:55 PM

Someone can correct me if Im wrong but I dont think Joe showed up to all OTAs every year. A guy based out of Jersey who went through plenty of new OCs after signing his big deal. Not judging either guy but some want to criticize Lamar for things they never considered criticizing others for doing

Flacco won a Super Bowl in his 5th year. 

It's really apples and oranges. That said, I agree this isn't anything to rake Lamar over the coals about. It's far more important he be 100% healthy later this summer than it is to show up at a voluntary workout. 

#635 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 06:25 AM

Aaron Rodgers showed up for his OTA's because he wanted to acclimate himself to new players and environment.  For him, it was important to get a head start. Apparently, Lamar doesn't feel the same way about his new offense.  How you feel about that is up to you. 

#636 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 06:53 AM

I'd prefer if he were there for the whole thing.

#637 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:21 AM

Flacco won a Super Bowl in his 5th year. 

It's really apples and oranges. That said, I agree this isn't anything to rake Lamar over the coals about. It's far more important he be 100% healthy later this summer than it is to show up at a voluntary workout. 

Flacco also had very average stats that year and the team barely made the playoffs. We all know what he did once the playoffs started. All praise is due for that although he also had a couple of HOFs on defense, but let's not pretend he was some superstar QB that year.

#638 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:23 AM

Aaron Rodgers showed up for his OTA's because he wanted to acclimate himself to new players and environment.  For him, it was important to get a head start. Apparently, Lamar doesn't feel the same way about his new offense.  How you feel about that is up to you. 

I'd prefer he show up, but no big deal if he doesn't. I mean I don't play football, but if my boss said there was a voluntary strategy meeting this Saturday I'm probably not showing up.  :mrgreen:

#639 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:25 AM

Do you need OTAs when you have “The Entire Gym” at your disposal?
  • You Play to Win the Game, Mashed Potatoes, BaltBird 24 and 3 others like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#640 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,661 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:43 AM

I think his showing up does matter.  He just got the big payday, be a leader and show up.  That said, if he comes in today or tomorrow, and gets to work with Monken, then I think he will get up to speed quick.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=