2648 replies to this topic

#381 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 04:16 PM

Clark's trade impact on cap space is far less important to me then removing his complete inability to make plays in coverage from this defense is... :)
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#382 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 05:53 PM

Who are the other likely cuts if they have to go that route vs restructure.

According to Brian over at RSR, other candidates who could find themselves cap casualties include (not counting Chuck Clark, Michael Pierce and Gus):

Devin Duveray ($4.3 million cap savings)

Calais Campbell ($7 million)

Patrick Mekari ($2 million)

Morgan Moses ($2.54 million)

Kevin Zeitler ($6.5 million)

Pat Ricard ($1.75 million)

Additionally, Ronnie Stanley ($23.6 cap number), Marlon Humphrey ($19.99 million), Mark Andrews ($13.65) and Roquan Smith ($9 million) would be the most likely candidates for restructuring should that also be on the Ravens' agenda for 2023.

#383 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 05:58 PM

I'd look to extend Duvernay and Campbell.

And restructure all the other candidates as needed. Wouldn't cut Ricard, Mekari and others until later in the off-season if it becomes necessary.

#384 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 06:01 PM

I'd look to extend Duvernay and Campbell.

And restructure all the other candidates as needed. Wouldn't cut Ricard, Mekari and others until later in the off-season if it becomes necessary.

I agree with you regarding Campbell. I guess his future depends on whether or not the Ravens decide the entire $7 million in savings is needed.

#385 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 10 March 2023 - 06:47 PM

I hope Gus is still with the team. One of the more underappreciated backs in the NFL.

So Edwards and Pierce helped the team by taking cuts/restructuring for not much money comparatively, but some feel the concept of Lamar accepting a "home team discount" of maybe "only" $40M per year vs $50M doesn't make sense. Just once, I'd love to see one of the great ones forget greed and ego and understand that by being just a little less Uber wealthy they might help their team immensely.

And then I woke from my dream.
  • Mashed Potatoes and CantonJester like this

#386 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 06:56 PM

So Edwards and Pierce helped the team by taking cuts/restructuring for not much money comparatively, but some feel the concept of Lamar accepting a "home team discount" of maybe "only" $40M per year vs $50M doesn't make sense. Just once, I'd love to see one of the great ones forget greed and ego and understand that by being just a little less Uber wealthy they might help their team immensely.

Once Watson got his money, there was no turning back for Lamar.  He knows he's the better quarterback and deserves at least as much fully guaranteed.  If Watson's contract never happened, I would imagine Lamar would have been fine with a Mahomes type deal. Or even close to a Murray contract.  The Browns brought out a new level of greed at the position and I just hope every owner has come to their senses since.  We'll soon find out. 

#387 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 06:56 PM

I agree with you regarding Campbell. I guess his future depends on whether or not the Ravens decide the entire $7 million in savings is needed.

Campbell has been solid but he's expendable. Time for the young guys to step it up. 

#388 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 07:01 PM

Others only take paycuts because even the cut salary is still more than they'd likely make as free agents. It's not goodness of their heart, it's a practical business decision.
  • makoman likes this

#389 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 07:06 PM

Brady did this for years.
  • CantonJester likes this

#390 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 10 March 2023 - 07:18 PM

Brady did this for years.

True, "just once" was a very poor choice of words on my part. And, his wife's gazillions plus his endorsements certainly helped him in making those decisions.

#391 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 07:45 PM

Others only take paycuts because even the cut salary is still more than they'd likely make as free agents. It's not goodness of their heart, it's a practical business decision.

I love Gus, but he's had 87 carries in two years and is about to be a 28 yo RB. Pierce played 11 games the past 3 years and will be 31 this fall. These types of guys don't get a whole lot more than the minimum. They'd much rather get like 2M with incentives, or whatever it is, stay in a place where you're comfortable, you know you'll get PT...

#392 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 07:58 PM

I love Gus, but he's had 87 carries in two years and is about to be a 28 yo RB. Pierce played 11 games the past 3 years and will be 31 this fall. These types of guys don't get a whole lot more than the minimum. They'd much rather get like 2M with incentives, or whatever it is, stay in a place where you're comfortable, you know you'll get PT...

Absolutely. Gus in particular prob shoulve been cut.

#393 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 02:39 AM

Once Watson got his money, there was no turning back for Lamar.  He knows he's the better quarterback and deserves at least as much fully guaranteed.  If Watson's contract never happened, I would imagine Lamar would have been fine with a Mahomes type deal. Or even close to a Murray contract.  The Browns brought out a new level of greed at the position and I just hope every owner has come to their senses since.  We'll soon find out. 

Historically, a record-setting deal doesn't always portend greater riches for those who come afterward. In December of 2000, Alex Rodriguez signed the richest contract in professional sports history--10 years and $252 million with Texas. Not only did it set new salary standards--it beat the old one by a lot. It doubled the value of the previous record-holder--a six-year, $126 million contract signed by Kevin Garnett with the T-Wolves.

Strangely enough, however, the free-agent riches didn't rain down even harder on other players. Two months later, Derek Jeter and the Yankees finalized an 11-year, $189 million contract. In fact, it wasn't until 15 years later, when Giancarlo Stanton inked his 13-year, $325 million contract with Miami, that A-Rod's deal was finally eclipsed in terms of total value. 

I'm sure Lamar and the NFLPA would love for the Watson contract to be a bellwether for future free agent deals; for the other 31 NFL owners, it's a genie that needs to be put back in the bottle.

#394 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 08:20 AM

Historically, a record-setting deal doesn't always portend greater riches for those who come afterward. In December of 2000, Alex Rodriguez signed the richest contract in professional sports history--10 years and $252 million with Texas. Not only did it set new salary standards--it beat the old one by a lot. It doubled the value of the previous record-holder--a six-year, $126 million contract signed by Kevin Garnett with the T-Wolves.

Strangely enough, however, the free-agent riches didn't rain down even harder on other players. Two months later, Derek Jeter and the Yankees finalized an 11-year, $189 million contract. In fact, it wasn't until 15 years later, when Giancarlo Stanton inked his 13-year, $325 million contract with Miami, that A-Rod's deal was finally eclipsed in terms of total value. 

I'm sure Lamar and the NFLPA would love for the Watson contract to be a bellwether for future free agent deals; for the other 31 NFL owners, it's a genie that needs to be put back in the bottle.

Alex Rodriguez was the best player and youngest FA in the league though. Watson was a top level QB before his troubles, but he then say out a year, and he was never better than Lamar is.  The leverage he had to refuse trades and force his way to a certain place is the unique scenario with him that is the only thing that other NFL teams can point to in saying that his deal was an outlier.

#395 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 11:23 AM

Alex Rodriguez was the best player and youngest FA in the league though. Watson was a top level QB before his troubles, but he then say out a year, and he was never better than Lamar is. The leverage he had to refuse trades and force his way to a certain place is the unique scenario with him that is the only thing that other NFL teams can point to in saying that his deal was an outlier.

That, and the fact that he was being trade to one of the worst franchises in professional sports and did NOT want to go there.

#396 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 09:12 AM

Ravens.com: Analyzing the Roster Before Free Agency Starts

https://www.baltimor...-2023-offseason

#397 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:23 PM

Josh Oliver to the Vikings, 3/$21M, 10.75 guaranteed. 7M/year is always good enough for a comp pick so depends if they sign anyone, pretty surprising. Seems high but what do I know? 

https://twitter.com/...354752677543937

#398 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:27 PM

Josh Oliver to the Vikings, 3/$21M, 10.75 guaranteed. 7M/year is always good enough for a comp pick so depends if they sign anyone, pretty surprising. Seems high but what do I know? 

Very good blocking tight end but yeah, $7 million a year for Josh Oliver?  He'd never get that from the Ravens so good for him but it's a head scratcher. 

#399 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:27 PM

Making room for Kolar.

@BSLMikeRandall

#400 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,814 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:28 PM

Expensive deal for a guy with 14 receptions last year. Half of his yardage came in one game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=