2648 replies to this topic

#361 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 09:57 PM

I see your point but I didn't have a problem with what he said.  If it hurt some feelings, so be it.  Without really saying it, I think EDC has grown weary of hearing all the criticism of how the Ravens can't draft WR's and that their schemes via the OC are antiquated and useless.  Maybe it was his way of letting off a little steam in a calm, calculated way that maybe it's time the receivers themselves accept some accountability for their shortcomings.  Bateman's reaction was infantile and came off as some stupid kid in H.S. ranting on Twitter.  

I'm not looking at it that way.  Bateman's a 23 year old guy living in a social media world.  That's a basically reactive world.  Look at our game threads.  I've said some things that were ridiculous and rightly been called out on them on some of those threads because it was heat of the moment.  Sure I agree that the smart thing to do would have been to just swallow it and maybe make a comment directly to EDC next time he saw him if you're that pissed off.  Don't air it out where it becomes breaking news.  I didn't grow up in a cell phone/social media world, but I remember what I did in college years.  All I can say is I am glad I didn't grow up in a social media world!  lol

But EDC is the adult in the room, or supposedly should be.  I'm not saying he was wrong in what he said, just that he shouldn't have said it in a media setting.  If he's tired of being asked about the WR problem, do something about it.  He was paid a lot of money so he wouldn't go to another team, he needs to fix the problem instead of just insulting the people he put together.  

#362 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 10:36 PM

I'm not looking at it that way.  Bateman's a 23 year old guy living in a social media world.  That's a basically reactive world.  Look at our game threads.  I've said some things that were ridiculous and rightly been called out on them on some of those threads because it was heat of the moment.  Sure I agree that the smart thing to do would have been to just swallow it and maybe make a comment directly to EDC next time he saw him if you're that pissed off.  Don't air it out where it becomes breaking news.  I didn't grow up in a cell phone/social media world, but I remember what I did in college years.  All I can say is I am glad I didn't grow up in a social media world!  lol

But EDC is the adult in the room, or supposedly should be.  I'm not saying he was wrong in what he said, just that he shouldn't have said it in a media setting.  If he's tired of being asked about the WR problem, do something about it.  He was paid a lot of money so he wouldn't go to another team, he needs to fix the problem instead of just insulting the people he put together.  

That's what Twitter does. There's really one place Bateman can show he is a hit as a #1 pick WR, and Twitter ain't it. People are so eager to troll on every bit of negativity. Scoring a bunch of touchdowns and winning a bunch of games and hitting the playoffs is the way to make your statement.

• Hooded Viper and mdrunning like this

#363 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 10:59 PM

You don't actually mean this do you? If one guy has to suffer a season-ender or suspension or just quits to become a farmer in the final week of camp, you'd rather it be Duvernay, right? I can't imagine anyone choosing the other option.

Availabilty is everything.

It just bugs me that hes the one who popped off when he has played in 18 of 35 games in his career. And hes only started in 9 of the 18 hes played in. Id rather Duvernay been the one to get on twitter if it had to be one of them. Hes more tenured, has better numbers, and has been available. Hes earned it more than Bateman.

#364 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 04:33 PM

Availabilty is everything.

It just bugs me that hes the one who popped off when he has played in 18 of 35 games in his career. And hes only started in 9 of the 18 hes played in. Id rather Duvernay been the one to get on twitter if it had to be one of them. Hes more tenured, has better numbers, and has been available. Hes earned it more than Bateman.

In the same time frame, Jackson has only played in 24 of 35. So should he just STFU too? Or is 18 out of 35 your arbitrary cutoff?

Also, hard to use “starts” as a metric. If he plays 99% of the snaps but not the first one, it’s not a “start”. I can’t remember the RB, someone really tenured like Emimitt Smith era maybe, didn’t play the first snap cause they came out 5-wide on the first play. Later in broadcast they said that one play ended some 100+ consecutive starts streak for the RB.

It’s not like other WRs passed him n the depth chart. Ricard and Oliver in Roman’s infinite wisdom would out snap these guys. Doesn’t make them better players.

If your boss said to the masses he wishes he’d hired better people, you’d feel some kind of way about it. Tylan Wallace could have popped off too and it wouldn’t bother me.
  • PrimeTime likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#365 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 05:13 PM

Lamar is the best and most important player on the team. Hes a former MVP. Not even close to the same. Also while Lamar has had some cryptic posts on twitter that couldve been aimed at The FO it was not like Bateman who directly went at the FO. And went in hard enough that he chose to delete the tweet.

#366 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 07:00 AM

Lamar is the best and most important player on the team. Hes a former MVP. Not even close to the same. Also while Lamar has had some cryptic posts on twitter that couldve been aimed at The FO it was not like Bateman who directly went at the FO. And went in hard enough that he chose to delete the tweet.

And apologize .

#367 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 12:07 PM

How much water does that even currently hold? That was three years ago, which is almost the average life expectancy of an NFL career. I don't know how long someone can hang their hat on something that is continuously getting further and further away in the rearview mirror. 

There might be someone on here who was a former homecoming king or prom queen. Doesn't mean a hill of beans at this point.

• PrimeTime likes this

#368 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 12:29 PM

Hes the most valuable player on the team. Hes the most important player on the team. Those guy have more of a right to speak out or speak up on team issues. Again, in the case of Lamar he never tweeted something at his FO thst he had to take down and apologize for.

#369 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 March 2023 - 12:38 PM

Hes the most valuable player on the team. Hes the most important player on the team. Those guy have more of a right to speak out or speak up on team issues. Again, in the case of Lamar he never tweeted something at his FO thst he had to take down and apologize for.

Not exactly but instead, Jackson has used his social media like a spurned teenage girl, posting enigmatic BS since the end of the season.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#370 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 March 2023 - 02:36 PM

The Raven hired Terp Alum, Dennard Wilson to coach the DB's next year.  He worked for the Eagles, coaching DB's the last 2 years.

https://www.baltimor...ive-backs-coach

@mikeghg

#371 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 09:53 AM

Michael Pierce took a pay cut saving $2.7M. Not too far from being under the cap for the new year, prob just 2-3M needed now.

https://mobile.twitt...192576285753348
  • Mackus and Mike B like this

#372 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 10:44 AM

Michael Pierce took a pay cut saving $2.7M. Not too far from being under the cap for the new year, prob just 2-3M needed now.

Awesome.  That means Pierce will play for the minimum. I would assume they've now guaranteed that minimum salary, but that's a solid benefit for the cap that I hadn't even considered and doesn't add any future risk at all (assuming it means they didn't guarantee any future money either).  

#373 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 10:51 AM

Awesome.  That means Pierce will play for the minimum. I would assume they've now guaranteed that minimum salary, but that's a solid benefit for the cap that I hadn't even considered and doesn't add any future risk at all (assuming it means they didn't guarantee any future money either).  

He can earn back the difference in incentives. Certainly a better move than an outright cut.

• Mackus likes this

#374 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 10:52 AM

He can earn back the difference in incentives. Certainly a better move than an outright cut.

Makes sense.  And it'll all be NLTBE since he barely played at all last year, so if he does reach the incentives, it'll come off of 2024 cap.  Still, agree, very clever move.  Glad Pierce was game to do it.

• mdrunning likes this

#375 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 March 2023 - 12:12 PM

This is good news.  I thought he was  playing well, before he got hurt.  He is a good run stuffer.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#376 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 12:24 PM

This is good news. I thought playing well, before he got hurt. He is a good run stuffer.

Yeah he seems to always be pretty good if healthy and in shape. So making his contract mostly incentives is a good thing.

#377 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 12:33 PM

Interesting, Brian McF thinks they used void years for Pierce, which I think would be a first.

Also, he says the Clark trade does not happen until after the league year starts, so his cap space created does not help them get under right now before the year starts. So they still need ~6.5M 

https://twitter.com/...244472006426664

https://twitter.com/...194968137945088

#378 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 02:49 PM

Who are the other likely cuts if they have to go that route vs restructure.

#379 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 03:17 PM

Gus has also redone his contract to be cheaper. Details not yet known, was going to be 4.4M base and 5.6M cap hit.

https://twitter.com/...1465730048?s=20

• Mackus likes this

#380 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,287 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 04:11 PM

Gus has also redone his contract to be cheaper. Details not yet known, was going to be 4.4M base and 5.6M cap hit.

https://twitter.com/...1465730048?s=20

I hope Gus is still with the team.  One of the more underappreciated backs in the NFL.

• Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=