#61 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:13 PM

We'll obviously never know what offers Elias made to whom, or, more importantly, what he's permitted to do by ownership. With that said, the idea that the Orioles need to overpay for any free agent of value to should no longer be the case; particularly when it comes to pitching.

OPACY is now much more pitcher friendly, the team is loaded with young talent and appears to be ready to compete for a playoff spot. How can Baltimore not be a desirable landing spot for a free agent?

I can only speculate the Orioles either lowballed top free agents in terms of dollars and/or years or simply didn't ever enter serious negotiations with an top free agents. Sadly, the Angelos family has operated in the same manner for the last 15 years or so and they've not given me (or most of the fanbase for that matter) any reason to believe otherwise. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#62 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:30 PM

Rodon also reportedly wanted to be a Yankee.

#63 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,306 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:33 PM

Ill take a bit of Herm drama over the holliday weekend. No chance Im taking on Weber drama this weekend. You guys enjoy. Ill be back when there is real news.

• You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#64 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:35 PM

I mean, they've got perhaps the deepest pockets and will almost always invest enough to try and win. Can you blame him?

Meanwhile, in Baltimore your GM will tell you that you're OK, but really not good enough for the front office to try too hard to win. And you'll probably be flying economy with the rest of us poor folk from city to city.

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:38 PM

Not buying that one. Judge, sure. I think arguments that Verlander wouldn't come here have merit. And Senga, I think big market draw for him is believable. But not Rodon. Not Bassitt either.

Plus, Boras is his agent, he'll follow the money.

#66 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:51 PM

THey are a true playoff contender. Not on the cusp. Moving the needle in the offseason ultimately doesnt mean shit either. Now, that will be twisted into  thinking Im happy they have been quiet to this point. Not what saying. What I am saying is many of you just want to do something to do something. Who cares go sign Bassitt whatever it takes. THere is a possibility that isnt a prudent move

I don't agree with the bolded part. I think the O's are much more on the cusp than a true contender in 2023. The rest of the division is better than us and have improved more than the O's have thus far.

#67 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:01 PM

Not buying that one. Judge, sure. I think arguments that Verlander wouldn't come here have merit. And Senga, I think big market draw for him is believable. But not Rodon. Not Bassitt either.

When given the choice, I'd almost always expect a player to take NY over Baltimore.

#68 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:03 PM

Ill take a bit of Herm drama over the holliday weekend. No chance Im taking on Weber drama this weekend. You guys enjoy. Ill be back when there is real news.

Merry Christmas to you too.

#69 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:04 PM

See you in April!
  • mweb08, bmore_ken and BSLRoseKatz like this

#70 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:14 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. Rodon was said to be looking for a minimum of seven years, yet took the Yankees' six-year offer. And this was with other suitors reportedly in the mix, most notably the Cardinals, who certainly aren't the Siberia of baseball.

#71 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:18 PM

Don’t they all?
@BSLMikeRandall

#72 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:21 PM

See you in April!

Don't threaten us with a good time.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#73 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 December 2022 - 08:22 PM

So…anyone got any World Cup scores?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#74 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 09:00 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. Rodon was said to be looking for a minimum of seven years, yet took the Yankees' six-year offer. And this was with other suitors reportedly in the mix, most notably the Cardinals, who certainly aren't the Siberia of baseball.

He was also sad to be looking for 6 years before he was said to be looking for 7. He got the most he could, it came from NYY. I'm comfortable in thinking that a 6/$180@M offer would've been more than the Yankees or anyone else would go and enough to get him to come here. We'll never know, but I think it's a reasonable assumption and will judge the Orioles against that.

Same with 3/$72-75M for Bassitt.

#75 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 December 2022 - 09:44 PM

So…anyone got any World Cup scores?

TwentyThirtyFive  0 - 0  You Play to Win the Game

We got 2 weeks of stoppage time coming, then it’s on to penalty kicks!

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#76 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 06:48 AM

https://reviewingthe...iteral-insanity

#77 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,306 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 07:02 AM

Shocking that a team thinks they are giving up too much/not getting enough in a trade or trade proposal. Burnes isnt worth Gunnar, Holliday or GRod. Period. Those 3 are untouchable. We could discuss a lot of combinations with any of the other guys.

#78 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 December 2022 - 09:41 AM

Right. While I generally agree with David Gasper here, he's in "how many top 100 prospects do I get back" mode.  That's actually not likely going to be the Brewers approach until they decide not to compete.  

I hadn't seen (I don't think) AC's piece back in November, and while that's one a don't think would work, the concept is ok.  Basically the Brewers do get to reload, I'm just not sure how useful that reload is for them.

#79 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 08:07 AM

Boras used other teams to get the best contact he could from the Yankees. The other teams didn’t help him get the 7/210 contact he wanted by playing that game. The Yankees were always going to get Rodon.

Bassitt is another story.

#80 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 08:33 AM

Boras used other teams to get the best contact he could from the Yankees. The other teams didn’t help him get the 7/210 contact he wanted by playing that game. The Yankees were always going to get Rodon.

Bassitt is another story.

I'm not going to believe that explanation about Rodon without a lot of external confirmation. Not just hearing it from him, everybody says they always wanted to end up wherever it is they end up and it's rarely true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=