#21 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 December 2022 - 02:27 PM

This is my initial thought on acquiring a top of the rotation pitcher for 2 years

tumblr_m96ryn75bK1qd9agqo3_500.gif

If I was given the budget for 1 huge FA I would've paid for Correa and then used the fact that he's blocking the SS prospects to make a move like this. We obviously didn't, but I think trading from the position player prospect depth to get pitching is pretty reasonable in a vacuum. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 02:29 PM

Its facts Elias has made more quotes this offseason. Im not going to acknowledge that your interpretation of those quotes are fact.

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 December 2022 - 02:34 PM

Its facts Elias has made more quotes this offseason. Im not going to acknowlwedge that your interpretation of those quotes are fact.

Yeah, you’d rather irrationally believe internet rumors (when anyone Elias actually signs has zero rumors surrounding them and the O’s before hand) - than take Elias’s quotes at face value. He’s told you exactly what his plans are this off-season these past few weeks, but you want to come after me and others for being pissed about it? I’m just pissed at what he’s done, which is exactly what he told us he’d do, and you want to think I’m the crazy one for reacting to actual facts and events that have unfolded. It’s insulting. “Elias haters” - what is being supportive of Elias’s off-season a special cult now? Cool kids club?

#24 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 December 2022 - 02:35 PM

If I was given the budget for 1 huge FA I would've paid for Correa and then used the fact that he's blocking the SS prospects to make a move like this. We obviously didn't, but I think trading from the position player prospect depth to get pitching is pretty reasonable in a vacuum. 

That makes some sense although I would go with Verlander over Correa as I'm not loving a 12 year contract.

The budget should have allowed for more than 1 huge free agent though. They could have potentially signed Verlander, Correa, and Bassitt and still have been tens of millions below where they were payroll wise the last time they tried to win. 

#25 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 02:39 PM

This trade might hurt their overall farm system ranking, so there's not a chance in hell it will happen.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, you’d rather irrationally believe internet rumors (when anyone Elias actually signs has zero rumors surrounding them and the O’s before hand) - than take Elias’s quotes at face value. He’s told you exactly what his plans are this off-season these past few weeks, but you want to come after me and others for being pissed about it? I’m just pissed at what he’s done, which is exactly what he told us he’d do, and you want to think I’m the crazy one for reacting to actual facts and events that have unfolded. It’s insulting. “Elias haters” - what is being supportive of Elias’s off-season a special cult now? Cool kids club?

You gotta stick with facts. I irrationally believe rumors?? Like what. Well known baseball guys have said we checked in on the top tier guys, were in on Rodon, and made multi year offers to other guys. I have no idea if those are all true but its not irrational to think it could be true since these guys all have reputations and are vetted guys writing or reporting for legit outlets.

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 December 2022 - 02:56 PM

Checking in isn’t anything. What the hell does that even mean? Why would they get credit for that? It isn’t in good faith at all. And again, fact alert, no one he’s ever acquired was rumored to us in any way in the past, keep glossing over that all you want, but it’s just factual. Which leads me to believe this check in nonsense is just to keep naive fans on the hook, and help agents who want to inflate the interest in their players. Zero credit is given for checking in. Just such an “out there” take IMO, it isn’t even logical.

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 03:40 PM

I'd prefer Gallen, and I think the suggested offer for Burnes is a bit much. 

I think you could obtain a front end starter with a package of: 

Cowser
Mayo

Hall

Kjerstad or Norby

Rom or Ortiz or Prieto

#29 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,365 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 December 2022 - 03:45 PM

I think its a bit too pricey especially including Bradish. While I am not as high on him as others he has at least shown some potential. Seems like a lot to give up for Burnes unless you had an upfront extension agreed to.

• SonicAttack likes this

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 03:52 PM

Checking in isn’t anything. What the hell does that even mean? Why would they get credit for that? It isn’t in good faith at all. And again, fact alert, no one he’s ever acquired was rumored to us in any way in the past, keep glossing over that all you want, but it’s just factual. Which leads me to believe this check in nonsense is just to keep naive fans on the hook, and help agents who want to inflate the interest in their players. Zero credit is given for checking in. Just such an “out there” take IMO, it isn’t even logical.

Two sides. ANy news we heard about the Os likely wasnt coming from inside the Warehouse but again that is speculation. I dont know that there was no rumors about anybody we've signed in the past. Not that we've signed many people at all but I genuinely cant say if there was any of the guys inked to us befpre we signed. I already told you one other time that I had not heard us linked to the 4 guys we have signed or traded for this offseason. But Ill be blunt, I dont believe the news of us offering a few guys multi year deals was some plan to keep us on the hook. No names were mentioned. The speculation would be it was guys like Syndergaard, Wacha, etc so what kind of credit do you think the Os are trying to build with a fanbase by making up offering low 2nd tier or 3rd tier guys

#31 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 03:59 PM

Imagine being an employee and being happy that your boss "checked in" on giving you a raise.
  • Mike in STL, PrimeTime and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 04:00 PM

Just being naive. Out of respect, moving on. We won’t be changing each others minds.

Naive about what. This being a grand plan to fool Os fans. THinking we were close or had the best offer on Syndergaard or Wacha. COme on man. If it was De Grom or Verlander and the names were mentioned then maybe. THe guy who put out we offered COrrea a deal that may have been complete BS. Likely was. But the team aint gonna feed that to some nobody. Its nonsense. That part of it is complete nonsense. 

Feel how you wanna feel about Elias and the job he has done as GM but some of this stuff you are spouting is just nonsense. We can go our seperate ways here and move on. Thats probably best but keep your frustration based in facts and rational thinking

#33 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 04:03 PM

Here's a fact: the O's are on the cusp of being a true playoff contender and have done nothing to move the needle despite having less payroll, more prospects, and more flexibility than nearly any franchise.
  • mweb08 and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 04:04 PM

The shit that genuinely pisses me off is twisting shit. Like Im saying  "checking in" is some big accomplishment. Never said that or implied it. I brought up the checking in thing as proof of things legit MLB writers have put out there to defend myself from being called irrational for believing rumors. 

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 December 2022 - 04:06 PM

You can feel how you wanna feel, but I’ll say it’s nonsense and insult you along the way. Cool. This, despite the fact that I’ve been spot on about everything since last trade deadline, if not emotionally charged, which I wish weren’t the case.

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 December 2022 - 04:07 PM

The shit that genuinely pisses me off is twisting shit. Like Im saying "checking in" is some big accomplishment. Never said that or implied it. I brought up the checking in thing as proof of things legit MLB writers have put out there to defend myself from being called irrational for believing rumors.

You’ve said it in the context of defending against fan criticism on BSL. What am I supposed to think?

#37 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 04:08 PM

Here's a fact: the O's are on the cusp of being a true playoff contender and have done nothing to move the needle despite having less payroll, more prospects, and more flexibility than nearly any franchise.

THey are a true playoff contender. Not on the cusp. Moving the needle in the offseason ultimately doesnt mean shit either. Now, that will be twisted into  thinking Im happy they have been quiet to this point. Not what saying. What I am saying is many of you just want to do something to do something. Who cares go sign Bassitt whatever it takes. THere is a possibility that isnt a prudent move

#38 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 04:11 PM

You can feel how you wanna feel, but I’ll say it’s nonsense and insult you along the way. Cool. This, despite the fact that I’ve been spot on about everything since last trade deadline, if not emotionally charged, which I wish weren’t the case.

Youre too thin skinned here. You are taking shit I say personally and Im not even coming at you. THats been the source of all this back and forth between us of late. YOu are taking what I say too personally. 

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,019 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 04:13 PM

How would Bassitt not be a prudent move? No long term commitment and well within payroll limits for the duration of the contract.

I'll hear that Rodon or maybe even Senga carries too much risk for their 5+ year deals. But not Bassitt for 3. Very weak for the O's to not have beaten Toronto's offer for him by quite a bit annually. Verlander was the ideal target given the short contract, it Bassitt is a poor man's version of that. Should've aggressively pursued both but certainly should've done enough to land one of them.

And he absolutely improves the chances of making the playoffs in 2023. That doesn't mean they would make it with him or won't without him or that he'd have a good year, just that those are the reasonable expectations.
  • mweb08 likes this

#40 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 04:15 PM

THey are a true playoff contender. Not on the cusp. Moving the needle in the offseason ultimately doesnt mean shit either. Now, that will be twisted into me thinking Im happy they have been quiet to this point. Not what saying. What I am saying is many of you just want to do something to do something. Who cares go sign Bassitt whatever it takes. THere is a possibility that isnt a prudent move

If you want to assume that the pitching will be as good if not better this year than last year, then sure, they're a playoff contender. Don't fool yourself into thinking that they are as good as the other teams in the East after this off season though. Every other team in the division besides maybe Boston has gotten better.

For someone who gets as upset as you do because your words are being apparently "twisted," you do an awful lot of twisting yourself. Literally nobody has said they want to do something just to do something. Literally everybody has said they want to make upgrades to the roster. You make the best moves you can in the off-season, with the information available to you. There are no guarantees that any move is a good one, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. At some point this team has to grow up and do what is needed to get over the hump.
  • mweb08 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=