Photo

Poll: what is your offseason grade so far

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your grade for the Orioles offseason? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

1. A (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. B (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. C (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. D (12 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

5. F (14 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 January 2023 - 02:41 PM

Right so everyone wants to bitch and bitch and bitch about not going after vets and "improving the team" through FA but just handing Westburg the job or even Urias is the obvious answer. Its so disingenuous. I havent heard you opine too much on additions or not so this isnt really directed at you btw. Others here bitch all the time about not adding marginal or solid vets at certain positions but add an Adam Frazier and its crap all over that move. And its for no other resason  then they think its cool to crap on everything Elias does in FA

You are mixing apples and oranges when you compare guys complaining about not going after vets to improve the team and Frazier.

#102 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 02:42 PM

1. Its not even that much about Frazier. Its about the people who only want ELias to spend the money the way they want him to spend it. 

2. If you wouldnt take Correa for free you cant be a ML GM. I know its still your dream and all. Youd still take your shot. LOL. But you cant have any of the jobs if you wont take Correa for free. Its too big a flaw. Sorry.

#103 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 02:43 PM

What I presented previously is better than what the Nationals got.

High School will probably be difficult for you.  Hang in there.

I have no fiing clue what you proposed. Nobody reads your wackadoodle proposals. But no it wasnt. It wasnt better than what they got if it included taking Corbins contract as any kind of offset on Soto. Zero.

#104 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 January 2023 - 02:51 PM

1. Its not even that much about Frazier. Its about the people who only want ELias to spend the money the way they want him to spend it.

2. If you wouldnt take Correa for free you cant be a ML GM. I know its still your dream and all. Youd still take your shot. LOL. But you cant have any of the jobs if you wont take Correa for free. Its too big a flaw. Sorry.

I mean it’s exactly what a message board is for. What’s the point if not to weigh in on what we would like to see. You were weighing in on what you wanted to see prior to the Winter Meetings. None of which came to fruition. I just don’t understand the frustration, and it not being directed at the O’s.

#105 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 02:58 PM

Ill explain why this crap pisses me off so much. Back in the day on OH and it still continues on message boards you would get these fantasy proposals. Most are completely unrealistic. Then 4 months later youll have people posting in threads when Corbin is having a 95+ ERA level season through  May. You will hear  stated as fact that Corbin was offered to the Orioles and we coulda had Soto too. Or people bitching about not pursuing Soto and having it stated as fact that Corbin coulda brought the price on a Soto deal down. And its 100% the orginal trade proposers fault. If not for making such an outlandish proposal then def for stating as fact like dude did above that the Os could"ve had Soto too. People read that utter trash and in their mind 4 months later they think it was fact that the Os could've had Soto  and Corbin in a deal 

#106 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 03:03 PM

I mean it’s exactly what a message board is for. What’s the point if not to weigh in on what we would like to see. You were weighing in on what you wanted to see prior to the Winter Meetings. None of which came to fruition. I just don’t understand the frustration, and it not being directed at the O’s.

Be consistent and argue in good faith. Be factual.  I know I touch a nerve with you on a lot of sports topics anymore. You still have to stick to facts and it has to add up. Its like saying Lamar beat up on an easy schedule this year when our 4th place schedule netted us Jacksonville, Giants, and Denver. Two of those teams were playoff teams. Divisional round playoff teams. It has to add up or you get called out.

#107 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 January 2023 - 03:13 PM

Two playoff teams in large part due to games we handed them. Both teams squeaked in by a game. Giants technically by a little more than a game due to their tie. Either way, both games should’ve been won.

Bottom line you can’t handle others opinions. And opinions don’t have to be backed up by anything, people are entitled to them. Relax. And coming from me, this is saying something.

#108 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 03:33 PM

Two playoff teams in large part due to games we handed them. Both teams squeaked in by a game. Giants technically by a little more than a game due to their tie. Either way, both games should’ve been won.

Bottom line you can’t handle others opinions. And opinions don’t have to be backed up by anything, people are entitled to them. Relax. And coming from me, this is saying something.

Bottom line is the 4th place schedule comment was just wrong. Its not opinion. Some of the stuff you want to defend by calling it opinion. It still has to add up. Not resigning Lamar adds up. I disagree but it adds up. Some of the reasoning IMO is suspect but ultimately is a valid opinion. Not trying to derail this thread. Start something with me in the Ravens section if you want to continue football talk. I understand I brought it up btw. Thats my bad

#109 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 January 2023 - 03:37 PM

I have no fiing clue what you proposed. 

But no it wasnt. 

This is awesome.

#110 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 03:44 PM

This is awesome.

Sure pick and edit the crap you want. I dont care. I dont want to interact with you. Stop stating as fact we couldve had Soto right now. Especially if you're gonna do it while proposing that  taking on Corbin lowered his cost. The 2nd part def isnt true. The first part is extremely unlikely. Was wasnt trading him to Baltimore and if they woudve it wouldve taken ever bit the offer it took from SD. 

#111 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 January 2023 - 04:09 PM

It adds up fine, just depends on how you choose to look at it. I’m fully good here.

#112 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 04:15 PM

There were no FA options at 2b definitevly better or "high quality". I think Segura is better but you could argue against it. Frazier being LH and having more versatility is a plus too

I'd have been fine with Urias as a bridge to the AAA IF if they'd have upgraded elsewhere offensively. Frazier is fine as a utility guy, but they've made him the centerpiece of their offensive overhaul by not doing anything else, and that's the major failing on the offensive side.

I like a lot of our offensive pieces, but given that only CF and C were totally spoken for, we should have made one or two big time upgrades.

#113 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 04:20 PM

I'd have been fine with Urias as a bridge to the AAA IF if they'd have upgraded elsewhere offensively. Frazier is fine as a utility guy, but they've made him the centerpiece of their offensive overhaul by not doing anything else, and that's the major failing on the offensive side.

I like a lot of our offensive pieces, but given that only CF and C were totally spoken for, we should have made one or two big time upgrades.

As Ive said before, not adding one solid bat is as big a concern to me if not bigger than not adding an arm the caliber of Bassitt. So needless to say Frazier shouldn't be the centerpiece offensive addition. No argument there. But there just wasnt much available at 2b in particular this offseason.

#114 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 January 2023 - 04:28 PM

If you sum up all the parts individually and average them out (like how it typically was in school), I give it a D. That's mostly because the McCann trade bumps up the average, and I'm not disappointed that they added a reliable #4 starter....I'm extremely disappointed they added two #4 starters and no #1. So only one of the Gibson/Irvin additions would be a fail...if I had to choose it would probably be Gibson, just because he's older, more expensive, and if Irvin works out they have 3 more seasons of team control with him.

Now, if you simply look at the entire offseason as a whole and grade it, I give it an F.

#115 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 January 2023 - 06:37 PM

This is just not even close to accurate. Nobody on here is insisting that Elias has to spend on some exact list of players. What everybody has bitched about across the board is that the money he did spend did zero to make this a better team than they were last year. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#116 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 06:48 PM

Thats not true. They are better

#117 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 07:09 PM

Back half of the roster is slightly better now. Front half of the roster is the same.

#118 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 January 2023 - 07:20 PM

Thats not true. They are better

Ok the changes have improved the club better than zero. Barely but ok fine. That is not what we have spent pages and pages bitching about and you know it.

#119 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 07:25 PM

People have their pet favorite FAs. They draw hard lines. Some fell in love with Bassitt for example. But if it had been Eovaldi we signed instead its like that would have been crapped on. Eovaldi could easily be the better value going forward. Im using that as an example. Obv there wasnt enough money invested this offseason but to bitch about what was an upgrade in Frazier, a guy who could be a 2-2.5 WAR guy and the money spent on him doesnt ring authentic. It seems to me like its bitching to bitch

#120 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 07:29 PM

We didn't sign anyone's pet favorite FA, that's for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=