#41 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 April 2023 - 05:05 PM

No way McCann catches tonight, runs to Baltimore, and catches tomorrow.

#42 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,682 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 August 2023 - 03:23 PM

Good article from Bill Ladson HERE from mlb.com

Still a big fan of the move.  Energy versus Mets felt a little different and would be great if he can find that more often.

Feels like some impact off the field, but still need some performance on it.  Defense has been good.

fwiw, I can make John Angelos an extra 2M next year (really 6M).  I'm only gonna need 250k.

#43 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 August 2023 - 04:41 PM

For a backup catcher he’s fine

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#44 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,682 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 August 2023 - 08:57 PM

Since the ASB, McCann has played in 12 games and has a hit in 11 of them.  Raised his OPS over .100 after today.

Orioles are 9-3 in those 12 games. 

They are also 31-17 in his 48 games although 3-2 in games where he was a late inning add so maybe more like 28-15.

That's probably more about Orioles versus LHed pitching because that's generally when he's been in, but the fact is they've kept pace in Games he's played with Adley at DH or (more rarely) off. Critical with the wear on catchers and a long season to keep Adley fresh come Playoffs.

Catches a good game, taken a beating back there on multiple occasions, and looks and feels the part with what's been a great run this year.

Would like to convince him every team we play is the Mets.

• BSLSteveBirrer and russsnyder like this

#45 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 04:55 AM

Since the ASB, McCann has played in 12 games and has a hit in 11 of them. Raised his OPS over .100 after today.

Orioles are 9-3 in those 12 games.
They are also 31-17 in his 48 games although 3-2 in games where he was a late inning add so maybe more like 28-15.

That's probably more about Orioles versus LHed pitching because that's generally when he's been in, but the fact is they've kept pace in Games he's played with Adley at DH or (more rarely) off. Critical with the wear on catchers and a long season to keep Adley fresh come Playoffs.

Catches a good game, taken a beating back there on multiple occasions, and looks and feels the part with what's been a great run this year.

Would like to convince him every team we play is the Mets.

Good post

He's been very solid as of late.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 August 2023 - 10:03 AM

McCann is a good  backup catcher. He is good defensively and with more playing time, his bat has ticked up.  I expect that he will catch a lot down the stretch against lefties, and allow Adley to DH.  I also think the extra position player the Orioles call up will be another catcher.

• russsnyder likes this
@mikeghg

#47 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 02:41 PM

McCann is a good backup catcher. He is good defensively and with more playing time, his bat has ticked up. I expect that he will catch a lot down the stretch against lefties, and allow Adley to DH. I also think the extra position player the Orioles call up will be another catcher.

Probably a good call.

Especially with Adley doing a fair amount of DHing.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#48 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 02:47 PM

Meh. They still dont need a 3rd C. But its possible I guess. Do we know if they are allowed to add a 15th pitcher in Sept. Im assuming they cant

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 02:51 PM

Nope. 14 pitchers max.

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 02:53 PM

They're still allowed to option/recall guys. So could add 3rd catcher for first two weeks to give Adley a break and then send the C out and get Kjerstad or Ortiz or whoever. Or Kjerstad first then Adley a break after we clinch on like Sept 19th.
  • You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 August 2023 - 03:41 PM

Meh. They still dont need a 3rd C. But its possible I guess. Do we know if they are allowed to add a 15th pitcher in Sept. Im assuming they cant

Nope, I think the max is 14 come 9/1.  

I think it is stupid to limit a teams amount of pitchers.  Let each team manage its roster

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@mikeghg

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 August 2023 - 03:44 PM

Mack is calling his shot, I love it. You talking division? Or just a playoff berth?
  • DuffMan likes this

#53 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 August 2023 - 06:53 PM

I see no reason to bring up a third catcher.
  • DuffMan and makoman like this

#54 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 07:01 PM

Agree. McCann shouldn’t be tired and should be able to keep Adley fresh. The chance of losing the DH is just so minimal to spend the roster spot.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 August 2023 - 09:30 PM

Neither do I, but I think that is what they do.

@mikeghg

#56 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 August 2023 - 10:18 AM

Why would they bring up a 3rd catcher? What is the value to winning doing that compared to another field player?

#57 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 August 2023 - 10:42 AM

Why would they bring up a 3rd catcher? What is the value to winning doing that compared to another field player?

None that I can tell. Just start McCann more down the stretch behind the plate.

#58 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 10:44 AM

You'd like to bring up someone who would have a role.  There actually is a role for a 3rd catcher, since Adley is the DH every time McCann catches, although that role would basically be as an insurance policy.  There would also be a role for McKenna or Cowser, given the health of Mullins and Hicks.  Ortiz is probably the probably the best player in Norfolk, but I'm not sure there's really a much of a role for him on the team. 

There's also Kjerstad and Stowers, although McKenna and Cowser might have more of a role on the team because of their defense.

#59 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:09 AM

What role does a 3rd catcher have just because Adley is DH and McCann is catching? Adley can always go catch if something happened to McCann. What am I missing?

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:15 AM

What role does a 3rd catcher have just because Adley is DH and McCann is catching? Adley can always go catch if something happened to McCann. What am I missing?

Many people, include those constructing the Orioles roster in recent memory, have often been very panicked over the idea of losing the DH for half a game.  

I would not select a third catcher.  Give me Kjerstad or someone else to provide some more pop off the bench.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=