#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2023 - 06:36 PM

Yeah he’s a 33 as a catcher coming off an injury that slowed him way down. I love the optimism and hope you’re right but all of this definitely remains to be seen. It’s far from a sure thing. Even lower end, as a backup catcher, I’m fine with it. One of the better moves. But I would temper the enthusiasm. Just as good a chance he sucks at the plate again as he contributes there.

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:06 PM

Hard pass on an extension right now. See no unique upside to that. If he's good and happy to be here, extend him when it's time. No need to sit up for unnecessary risk.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#23 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:22 PM

Yeah I’m a fan of the trade but in no way would I entertain extending him further. Give a year and a half for a solid backup to develop in the minors (Handley, Ardoin, Retzbach, Pavolony, Basallo). If you’re super happy with him and nobody else has stepped up, sure give him another year or two.

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:32 PM

Extension?? What are we doing here. Come on man.

#25 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:34 PM

+1 to happy with him but no need to extend. Handley could be better for 2024, who knows how either of them will do this year.

#26 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 08:21 PM

I'm in favor of extending him for the jokes you could make about the Orioles extending a catcher, just not that one 

she/her

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:37 PM

I'm in favor of extending him for the jokes you could make about the Orioles extending a catcher, just not that one

Make it stop.

#28 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:02 PM

... but no need to extend. Handley could be better for 2024, who knows how either of them will do this year.

Tell me what you mean by "better".

#29 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:16 PM

Tell me what you mean by "better".

I’ll mostly retract that as I had in my head that McCann was older than he was when I said that, and I don’t think it’s likely anyway.

#30 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:37 PM

I’ll mostly retract that as I had in my head that McCann was older than he was when I said that, and I don’t think it’s likely anyway.

I feel like people want to try and compare some aspect of WAR (dWAR, oWAR, age regression, etc) and while I hope he produces significantly both offensively and defensively....

...I think how he impacts Adley and the other pitchers is an order of magnitude more important than comparing his individual stats with projections on some player in the system.

...so when I say I want to extend him, I'm thinking about 

1) Adley short-term

2) Adley long-term(#2)

3) Starting pitching

4) "The Patriots"

5) Community

Performance is more than Talent. 

P = (is a f of) L (A+T+C)

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2023 - 01:03 PM

Meh. Adley is better than in him in every way already. What makes McCann uniquely qualified to teach him intangibles, which I also think he already has plenty of? I see the value of this type of stuff, but not with Adley. Players like Adley raise the bar.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2023 - 01:21 PM

Meh. Adley is better than in him in every way already. What makes McCann uniquely qualified to teach him intangibles, which I also think he already has plenty of? I see the value of this type of stuff, but not with Adley. Players like Adley raise the bar.

I thought the same thing, but McCann is saying the right thing.

@mikeghg

#33 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 January 2023 - 03:10 PM

Adley is better than in him in every way already. What makes McCann uniquely qualified to teach him intangibles, which I also think he already has plenty of? I see the value of this type of stuff, but not with Adley. Players like Adley raise the bar.

Just so we're clear, you are saying a kid that is 24 with less than 100 games at catcher has nothing left to learn about the Major Leagues??

Are you sure?

#34 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 January 2023 - 03:27 PM

1) Adley short-term

...and the consequence of experience and everything that you can learn, some of which he learned last year...is only part of 1)

Catching, especially during the summer, is brutal.  If the Orioles have a "Chirinos" type backup, then there is pressure on Hyde to catch him [Adley] more, because if you don't have a good backup, then you aren't doing everything you can to win. 

You want to be in the Playoffs so you want your catcher's legs to be fresh in the Playoffs....but you have to make the Playoffs....so you want to play him more down the stretch too....but the games in May count as much as the games in September, so you want him catching then too.  Even if Adley hits the IL, 'that' rest isn't compensating for X games in a row later.

You want his bat in the Game every day so he won't even necessarily get the rest a normal starting catcher will...one of the reasons I'd guess Atlanta kept last years starter to pair with Murphy....they'll support each other through the DH, stay fresh.

McCann, if he can mash  lefties like he has in his career, is not a weakness when he's back there.  The pitchers will be cool, Adley will be at DH so you get the best of all worlds when you don't feel the pressure to put your 'best lineup' out there every single day.  When there's a lefty on the mound, McCann IS part of your 'best lineup'.

So you're good every month, because the games count every month and you aren't wearing Adley down for the stretch run, you never give up your lineup and you are stronger for the Playoffs. 

The other part of this is experience.  It's not father-son, it's like having a big brother that's already in the world graduated from college giving you some perspective about your days in HS.

The Orioles needed to find the best player to fill this role. McCann was my preference for this, again, for a bunch of reasons beyond parts 1A and 1B.  

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2023 - 03:50 PM

Just so we're clear, you are saying a kid that is 24 with less than 100 games at catcher has nothing left to learn about the Major Leagues??

Are you sure?

Not that Brian McCann can teach him. Or better put, the things McCann could teach a player of Adley's level, could be taught by any veteran catcher probably. 

#36 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:30 PM

Not that James McCann can teach him. Or better put, the things McCann could teach a player of Adley's level, could be taught by any veteran catcher probably. 

OK, but you seem to think that Adley's Talent has some special result in his experience.  This isn't maturity.  Everyone suggests Adley is mature beyond his years,...but MLB is a closed set of players and if you are sticking around for 5 or 8 or 10 years, it's because you're both Talented and making adjustments among the groups of players that want to compete for your job and your paycheck.

Everything that Adley can learn has the potential to move him through a rough spot.  One of the reasons I figured McCann could be made available is the Mets could want a more culturally aligned mentor for Alvarez.  I think that's more important for a kid like Alvarez who adjusting to a lot of really new things in language, culture, finances, etc....so maybe more important to find the right guy there, ...

I don't think I've argued that there isn't a better mentor for Adley, I agree there's probably a number of guys who could provide those types of things...but I like McCann more and more when we find out some more things.

I have said I don't think the Orioles could get a better backup catcher.  There's a lot of pieces there.

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:32 PM

OK, but you seem to think that Adley's Talent has some special result in his experience.  This isn't maturity.  Everyone suggests Adley is mature beyond his years,...but MLB is a closed set of players and if you are sticking around for 5 or 8 or 10 years, it's because you're both Talented and making adjustments among the groups of players that want to compete for your job and your paycheck.

Everything that Adley can learn has the potential to move him through a rough spot.  One of the reasons I figured McCann could be made available is the Mets could want a more culturally aligned mentor for Alvarez.  I think that's more important for a kid like Alvarez who adjusting to a lot of really new things in language, culture, finances, etc....so maybe more important to find the right guy there, ...

I don't think I've argued that there isn't a better mentor for Adley, I agree there's probably a number of guys who could provide those types of things...but I like McCann more and more when we find out some more things.

Fair enough. 

#38 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2023 - 06:50 PM

Luis De La Cruz is the Player to be named to complete the McCann trade.

Last 2 years in DSL.  LHed hitting 1B/CO.  Essentially nothing.

• BobPhelan, Mike B and BaltBird 24 like this

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 03:08 PM

James McCann could come off IL tomorrow. Catching tonight in Aberdeen #orioles

#40 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2023 - 03:29 PM

How many innings would he go? Since they will probably need the backup C tomorrow, would think they'd want to keep him fresh if they are going bring him up tomorrow. Of course given how they are just completely wasting a roster spot right now with Stowers, I guess it wouldn't be surprising to see them keep Bemboom and McCann around.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=