DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:27 AM

Nope, I think the max is 14 come 9/1.  

I think it is stupid to limit a teams amount of pitchers.  Let each team manage its roster

Frustrating, but I prefer it to the days prior to the rule tweak when there was no room in the pen for all the guys that were brought up for September.

#62 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:37 AM

What role does a 3rd catcher have just because Adley is DH and McCann is catching? Adley can always go catch if something happened to McCann. What am I missing?

It's an insurance policy.  Keeps you from losing the DH if McCann leaves the game, and protects you from catastrophe if Adley also had to leave the game.  I guess it's kind of a luxury, but a third catcher would have a role on the team.

#63 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:38 AM

Frustrating, but I prefer it to the days prior to the rule tweak when there was no room in the pen for all the guys that were brought up for September.

I remember fond memories of checking the lineups every night in September of 2002 to see if our savior Ed Rogers was starting. I think he got called up September 1st and started one game that September behind Mike Bordick.

#64 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,272 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 August 2023 - 12:04 PM

Bottom line: What is more likely to occur? Having to lose a DH for a part of a game or needing a bat to come off the bench?  I way more want somebody on the roster that can help us win not an emergency 3rd string catcher who isn't going to see the light of day.

• dude likes this

#65 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 12:06 PM

I'd much rather prefer a real player rather than a seldom used, emergency third catcher.

#66 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:07 PM

If McCann gets his OPS over .700, Steve has to buy his jersey.

#67 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 02:18 PM

McCann had a PB, a wild pitch (really was caught ole’ing a pitch in the dirt), and the bat flew out of his hands the first swing he took after getting hit on bottom area of his hand/wrist by a pitch. He was ultimately replaced for a PH in the bottom of the 10th. 

Something to keep an eye on. 

#68 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 02:20 PM

Hopefully it was just that blood blister causing the issues and not a broken hamate or anything.

#69 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 02:36 PM

Hopefully it was just that blood blister causing the issues and not a broken hamate or anything.

Agreed. It was only because Brandon Belt crushed Baumann’s first pitch into the seats in LCF that it really didn’t matter as much that McCann let a pitch go by that scored a third run that inning. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=