196 replies to this topic

#61 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 06:54 PM

Is he an option for LF and then a fallback plan for 2B if we need to bench Mateo (sliding Henderson to SS and Urias to 3B)? Even if Frazier bounces back from his awful 2022 he's not as good as Urias offensively and hard to argue for him defensively considering the Gold Glove Urias just won at 3B.

Urias is shaky at 2b. Frazier isnt going to play much of any OF though his ability to do so only helps in a pinch. I still expect them to be in the OF/DH market.

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:01 PM

Urias is shaky at 2b. Frazier isnt going to play much of any OF though his ability to do so only helps in a pinch. I still expect them to be in the OF/DH market.

If Frazier is a straight 2B I really struggle to understand this move unless they have zero confidence in Mateo. Urias is not shaky at 2B and would be more than acceptable there if playing everyday.

If they expect to trade Mateo or Urias then it makes more sense. But why sign him before you do that?

#63 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:06 PM

If Frazier is a straight 2B I really struggle to understand this move unless they have zero confidence in Mateo. Urias is not shaky at 2B and would be more than acceptable there if playing everyday.

If they expect to trade Mateo or Urias then it makes more sense. But why sign him before you do that?

I fail to understand what this has to do with Mateo.

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:08 PM

I fail to understand what this has to do with Mateo.

Henderson to SS, Urias to 3B, Frazier to 2B

Far more questions about Mateo than Urias, so he's the guy more likely to lose a job that yud need to protect against. Still think internal protection was adequate.
  • mdrunning likes this

#65 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:09 PM

Because maybe he actually has a market and you geniuses dont know anything when it comes to whats going on on the market. Lock him up while you work on a deal. This doesnt signify a trade is imminient though

#66 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:11 PM

This sounds reasonable. Even though I originally advocated putting Henderson at 3B from Day 1, I think the most important thing is having him focus on one position rather than hop-scotching him all over the infield.

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:12 PM

Far more questions about Mateo than Urias, so he's the guy more likely to lose a job that yud need to protect against. Still think internal protection was adequate.

I dont think Gunner is a SS. Elias has actually alluded to him being the 3b and likely not switching. So thats a big part of that. If Mateo falls flat Ortiz or Westburg is the 1st option. Likely Ortiz.

#68 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:13 PM

Urias is much better at third than second. I would be perfectly fine with trading Mateo to a team that misses out on a SS they want, moving Gunnar to short and keeping Urias at third. Westburg/Frazier to start the year at second.

#69 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:14 PM

Urias is much better at third than second. I would be perfectly fine with trading Mateo to a team that misses out on a SS they want, moving Gunnar to short and keeping Urias at third. Westburg/Frazier to start the year at second.

Much better is correct on Urias. Mateo isnt being moved and Henderson isnt going back to SS.

#70 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:16 PM

Because maybe he actually has a market and you geniuses dont know anything when it comes to whats going on on the market. Lock him up while you work on a deal. This doesnt signify a trade is imminient though

No, because I wouldn't wring my hands at all if we miss out on Adam Frazier. He's not a guy, especially not at this price, that we needed to lock up first before making another move.

It'll make more sense if there is another move, maybe they have it agreed upon but just can't announce for some reason. But still...if you have to think of one or two other dominos that have to fall in order to justify a move it probably wasn't super necessary.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#71 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:21 PM

Its not complicated. There is a huge void at 2b and as much as you guys think you know baseball Urias is shaky at 2b defensively. He isnt ideal in any way. Norby isnt quite ready. I have no idea the merits of Fraziers true range at 2b but having a guy who isnt shift dependant is more important now. I think we heard there may be concerns about Westburgs defense in a shiftless world

#72 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:27 PM

Guess I'm just effing stupid and don't know baseball at all. Thanks for explaining. This contract makes perfect sense and is totally explicable even without any subsequent moves. The seemingly better players we had already on the roster ahead of Frazier all actually suck, guess I didn't realize. We didn't need any good or star-level guys to supplement the roster, just a best-case-avwerage bat coming off the worst year of his career.
  • mweb08 and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#73 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:29 PM

It’s okay Mack. I made shirts, what size are you?

To know baseball, you have to KNOW Mike. You have to see into his soul. See his dreams. His brilliance. Once you have, and you’re in lockstep with the man, you then know baseball.

#74 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:29 PM

This like the Lyles version of 2B. Better than nothing, as long as you're willing to dump them if needed. Way worse than what we should be doing.

#75 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 December 2022 - 08:04 PM

If we were going to do something different at 2B than Westburg, which is basically the only choice for me, then we should have gone out and bought low on Nick Madrigal.

He's struggled badly but he's a speed-defense-hit tool guy and he's friends with Adley from their Championship team at Oregon State.

Today I wouldn't prefer Madrigal to Westburg (or Norby soon), but if we're doing something else with 2B - like using Westburg in trade or at SS or whatever, then give me Madrigal.

#76 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 08:08 PM

dwwpR96.jpg

#77 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 08:15 PM

Again Ill say its Dec 15. You guys dont know whats going on behind the Os closed doors nor do you know how the market is playing out. You  are uninformed but act like you know everything and want to criticize based on that misinformation

#78 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2022 - 08:16 PM

dwwpR96.jpg

Nothing but untapped brilliance.

Gotta love the upside with that exit velocity. I hear it gets stronger with age.

#79 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 08:20 PM

dwwpR96.jpg

Now we dont know how much the shift helped him but again speaks to his defense. In a shiftless world he seemingly is miles better than Urias defensively at 2b. The bat difference doesnt make up for it. If there is even much of a bat difference. Ill give that to Urias but its not some lock.

#80 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 08:24 PM

Now we dont know how much the shift helped him but again speaks to his defense. In a shiftless world he seemingly is miles better than Urias defensively at 2b. The bat difference doesnt make up for it. If there is even much of a bat difference. Ill give that to Urias but its not some lock.

oAXKPQb.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=