2551 replies to this topic

#141 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:56 AM

I suspect that if its true that we are in on De Grom and Verlander, the top 2 guys who likely will be signing shorter deals ,that Elias knows he will have to beat other teams offers by a decent amount. It still ultimately comes down to getting them to buy into pitching for the Os even if we were to have the offer.

#142 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 November 2022 - 11:00 AM

So with Verlander for instance, if they have to add an extra few million a year above the next highest offer, so what, what else are they doing with the money? Adding an extra year would be the hold up.

#143 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 11:16 AM

So with Verlander for instance, if they have to add an extra few million a year above the next highest offer, so what, what else are they doing with the money? Adding an extra year would be the hold up.

Its just hard to say what would be the deciding factor for Verlander at this point in his career. If its 4 or 5mil more a year for 2 years then absolutely go get it done. I hope he seriously considers us and we truly are seriously considering him. If those two things are true then we have a chance

#144 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 12:04 PM

I don't think deGrom or Verlander is coming to the O's aside from the money issue, I think they're not a team that has a guaranteed enough path to the WS for either of them to risk one of their last few years on.

#145 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 November 2022 - 01:15 PM

I don't think deGrom or Verlander is coming to the O's aside from the money issue, I think they're not a team that has a guaranteed enough path to the WS for either of them to risk one of their last few years on.

I tend to agree with that but there is another perspective Verlander could take. He's been to the WS and has the ring. Perhaps you sell him on the idea of taking a young and up coming team over the hump. That would be quite the addition to his legacy!

#146 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 November 2022 - 01:48 PM

I tend to agree with that but there is another perspective Verlander could take. He's been to the WS and has the ring. Perhaps you sell him on the idea of taking a young and up coming team over the hump. That would be quite the addition to his legacy!

He kinda already did that at Houston, albeit he only joined midseason in 2017. Not much left for him to really accomplish that he hasn't already done at this point

#147 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:01 PM

Re: Verlander....  

If Houston wants him back.... you have to beat: 

1) The familiarity as he's been there since '17 and won a lot individually and as a team.

2) No state tax in Texas. 

Presumably you'd have to offer more than just a higher AAV..  imo, you'd have to offer another year or two beyond what Houston offers. 

Given that he's 40 in Feb...  will Houston hold out on not offering him anything beyond 3 years? 
Do you want to offer a 4th year there?

(I see FanGraphs is projecting 2 years $80M.)

Rodon is about to turn 30 next month. FanGraphs is projecting 5 years $120M. 

I think I'd feel better about 5 $150M for Rodon vs. 4 years for Verlander. 

• PrimeTime and weird-O like this

#148 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:14 PM

1) The familiarity as he's been there since '17 and won a lot individually and as a team.

Presumably you'd have to offer more than just a higher AAV.. imo, you'd have to offer another year or two beyond what Houston offers.

Given that he's 40 in Feb... will Houston hold out on not offering him anything beyond 3 years?

There's no guarantee he even wants to pitch 4 more years.

#149 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 04:04 PM

Presumably you'd have to offer more than just a higher AAV.. imo, you'd have to offer another year or two beyond what Houston offers.

Given that he's 40 in Feb... will Houston hold out on not offering him anything beyond 3 years?

I've been a huge Verlander proponent precisely because his contract should be short, so no to a 4 year deal for him.

If the Astros are offering the 2/80, I would stick with the 2 years and be willing to substantially raise the salary if need be. 2/100.

Should still be plenty of money leftover too for a couple other players. Maybe even Rodon.

#150 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 04:17 PM

I've been a huge Verlander proponent precisely because his contract should be short, so no to a 4 year deal for him.

If the Astros are offering the 2/80, I would stick with the 2 years and be willing to substantially raise the salary if need be. 2/100.

Should still be plenty of money leftover too for a couple other players. Maybe even Rodon.

If you are jumping that much in AAV, that could possibly be enough to make him leave his comfort zone.   I'd definitely choose that over additional years. 

Obviously it's not apples to apples $10M more annually when you've factored in the tax difference though.

#151 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 04:56 PM

If you are jumping that much in AAV, that could possibly be enough to make him leave his comfort zone. I'd definitely choose that over additional years.

Obviously it's not apples to apples $10M more annually when you've factored in the tax difference though.

This may not apply to Verlander, but ego is likely a factor with contracts for many, meaning the contract figures are what they brag about regardless of the tax situation. I would also guess that the union discourages players forgoing larger deals due to tax savings because that doesn't help the player market.
  • weird-O likes this

#152 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 05:20 PM

If Verlander signs with the O's, I'm buying season tickets the next day. I think my money is safe though.
  • Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#153 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 November 2022 - 09:22 AM

If Verlander signs with the O's, I'm buying season tickets the next day. I think my money is safe though.

Yea, I don't think you will need to cut back on your Christmas budget, to buy those season tickets.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#154 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 November 2022 - 10:33 AM

This may not apply to Verlander, but ego is likely a factor with contracts for many, meaning the contract figures are what they brag about regardless of the tax situation. I would also guess that the union discourages players forgoing larger deals due to tax savings because that doesn't help the player market.

I'm not sure how big of a factor taxes are to pro athletes. The taxes in Toronto are astronomical, and It hasn't kept players from signing with them. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#155 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 10:41 AM

I'm not sure how big of a factor taxes are to pro athletes. The taxes in Toronto are astronomical, and It hasn't kept players from signing with them. 

Its a factor, but its a relatively small one.  Athletes get taxed by-game based on where the game is played.  So comparing Verlander in Texas as opposed to Maryland, half of the games he'd have a 0% state income tax in Texas compared to 5.75% in MD.  The other half of the games (road games) would prorate depending on where they are played.  Houston plays at the Rangers (0%) every year but also plays at the Angels and A's (12.3%).

It'd be pretty easy to calculate the state tax implications each year for each team (based on schedule), so I'm sure agents present that to teams in higher-tax states.  For Verlander, it'd cost him an extra $2.5-3M or so a year in taxes if he signs with the O's than if he signed with Houston, depending on the exact salary.  Step up the offer by 3% annually and its about even.

• You Play to Win the Game and weird-O like this

#156 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 07:18 PM

Bellinger a FA. Os should kick the tires here. LH bat. Only 27. Still plays good OF D. Maybe they can work on the swing

#157 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 07:33 PM

Bellinger a FA. Os should kick the tires here. LH bat. Only 27. Still plays good OF D. Maybe they can work on the swing

I'll admit I don't watch the NL very much and completely forgot he was an MVP, 8.6 bWAR player just 3 years ago. I'm fine with kicking the tires but I'd hope the scouts can give some info as to why he might get back there and isn't just the bad hitter he's been for a few years.

#158 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 09:20 AM

The guy has fallen off a cliff offensively and he made 17 million last year. If I'm the Orioles, I'd have some interest. I have a feeling someone is going to throw some more money at him than the Orioles.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#159 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 09:30 AM

Pretty sure I remember hearing Bellinger reworked his swing after '19 or '20. Have also felt his swing was long and could be exposed. That has certainly been the case of the last few years. Obviously the Dodgers coaches were trying to make him better too but maybe a new voice and approach is what he needs. 

#160 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 10:17 AM

Pretty sure I remember hearing Bellinger reworked his swing after '19 or '20. Have also felt his swing was long and could be exposed. That has certainly been the case of the last few years. Obviously the Dodgers coaches were trying to make him better too but maybe a new voice and approach is what he needs.

He's also had some injuries. Mostly leg injuries. This has probably impacted his hitting as well. Sounds like he could benefit from a change of scenery.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=