#161 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 November 2022 - 10:17 AM

I don’t know, personally I was hoping we were past the days of acquiring reclamation projects. Dude has an OPS+ of 74 his last 1,200 PA’s. Hard pass. It’s supposed to be lift off, not more of the same.
  • Mackus, BSLSteveBirrer and weird-O like this

#162 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 10:45 AM

I don’t know, personally I was hoping we were past the days of acquiring reclamation projects. Dude has an OPS+ of 74 his last 1,200 PA’s. Hard pass. It’s supposed to be lift off, not more of the same.

If he's the fourth or fifth best addition, that's fine. But can't be a primary part of the plan.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#163 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 November 2022 - 11:34 AM

If he's the fourth or fifth best addition, that's fine. But can't be a primary part of the plan.

Fair enough.

#164 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 11:49 AM

Agreed

#165 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 12:50 PM

Dude is 27 and a former MVP. The defense raises his floor. You guys are looking at it wrong. He will prob only sign a short deal anyway. Could be a major steal. If he is brought in to be a platoon with Hays in addition to one other solid bat thats good. 

• CantonJester likes this

#166 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 01:09 PM

Dude is 27 and a former MVP. The defense raises his floor. You guys are looking at it wrong. He will prob only sign a short deal anyway. Could be a major steal. If he is brought in to be a platoon with Hays in addition to one other solid bat thats good.

Sure, if he's the 4th or 5th best guy added to the roster, as a platoon partner with Hays would be, that's fine.

If bringing him in reduces or, even worse, supercedes the offer for any better players, then that'd be bad.

#167 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 01:49 PM

I think it really depends on his price. He's definitely an upgrade as a fourth outfielder, however, I think he'll want more than what Mullins is projected to make. (Four million plus) I doubt the Orioles will or should pay him more than Mullins. Further, I don't think his market price will go that low. I think the only chance he signs with the Orioles is his market value plummets.
  • bmore_ken likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#168 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 02:56 PM

I think it really depends on his price. He's definitely an upgrade as a fourth outfielder, however, I think he'll want more than what Mullins is projected to make. (Four million plus) I doubt the Orioles will or should pay him more than Mullins. Further, I don't think his market price will go that low. I think the only cjance he signs with the Orioles is his market value plummets.

His price relative to Mullins should be irrelevant. His cost is important and a part of the decision as to sign him or not, but it doesn't matter whether that is more or less than Mullins. There is no Ripken rule anymore. Rutschman makes the minimum. Plenty of lesser players on the roster will make far more.

#169 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 03:09 PM

Bellinger isnt just a guy to acquire as a platoon or 4th OFer. You bring him in as a reg. We know the Os are looking for corner OF/1b/DH types and LH ones at that. So do you risk it for the biscuit and go after Bellinger over say a Brantley or Conforto. No problem with those that say but I would argue he offers the most upside of those 3. 

#170 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 03:14 PM

Also a few other interesting names non tendered. Jorge Alfaro is a decent bat and possibly a backup C option. Dom SMith had two good years in '19 and '20. Another guy who fits that LH 1b/OF/DH mold. Like Bellinger also only 28. Edwin Rios isnt a guy Id be penciling into the lineup but if you can get him real cheap he never got much of a chance in LA and has produced a bit. More of a guy if you strike out on other names.

#171 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 03:36 PM

All of these names are fine as supplementary pieces, but they need to get someone who moves the needle.

#172 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 03:39 PM

His price relative to Mullins should be irrelevant. His cost is important and a part of the decision as to sign him or not, but it doesn't matter whether that is more or less than Mullins. There is no Ripken rule anymore. Rutschman makes the minimum. Plenty of lesser players on the roster will make far more.

I disagree it's irrelevant.

You can't pay the fourth or fifth outfielder more than your starting centerfielder.

It would be a bad business move at this point in time. Besides, I think the Orioles have enough pieces to trade for a more consistent bat anyway.

#173 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 03:47 PM

I disagree it's irrelevant.

You can't pay the fourth or fifth outfielder more than your starting centerfielder.

It would be a bad business move at tjis point in time.

Chirinos made more than Adley this year. Whoever they sign to be backup next year probably will make more too, if they are a vet.

No one who is in their first year of arb is going to care if a FA who is worse makes more, it's just the way the system is.

#174 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 03:56 PM

All of these names are fine as supplementary pieces, but they need to get someone who moves the needle.

My guess is most people who define a guy as move the needle is literally talking about one of the top 7 FAs. Judge, Bogaerts, Turner, Correa, Verlander, Rodon, or De Grom.  I guess maybe Swanson could fit that bill too. They arent going to get one of those guys. Heck, they seem to not even be in the SS market so that takes out half of the field anyway. 

#175 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 November 2022 - 05:13 PM

Also a few other interesting names non tendered. Jorge Alfaro is a decent bat and possibly a backup C option. Dom SMith had two good years in '19 and '20. Another guy who fits that LH 1b/OF/DH mold. Like Bellinger also only 28. Edwin Rios isnt a guy Id be penciling into the lineup but if you can get him real cheap he never got much of a chance in LA and has produced a bit. More of a guy if you strike out on other names.

Danny Mendick and Nick Neidert were two other non-tenders who piqued my interest.

#176 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 November 2022 - 05:14 PM

Bellinger is the type of target that the rebuilding O's should have been all over. They should have taken some chances on more guys back then and some of them would have likely hit (I listed a bunch of low risk guys a while back that did go onto have big years or even several years). 

Now however is a much more questionable time to be doing that imo. It really comes down to if the O's see something in him that they have confidence in fixing. Since that is unknowable, I don't have much of a take other than what I already said besides that I am good with more competition for the OF/1B/DH positions. 

#177 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 November 2022 - 05:20 PM

I'd rather just play Stowers in the role Bellinger would take. Some team will pay him $10 million.

• russsnyder likes this

#178 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 05:24 PM

I'd rather just play Stowers in the role Bellinger would take. Some team will pay him $10 million.

I'm thinking this may be his price range as well.

IMO, it's too much to pay for a bounce back type player. Especially one who has struggled mightily in recent years.

#179 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 05:27 PM

Chirinos made more than Adley this year. Whoever they sign to be backup next year probably will make more too, if they are a vet.

No one who is in their first year of arb is going to care if a FA who is worse makes more, it's just the way the system is.

I fully understand that a vet makes more than a rookie. (I don't see the relevance as well.)

I also never said that Mullins would or should care.

I think it's bad business to overpay a guy like Bellinger.

#180 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 05:29 PM

Yeah someone will probably give him more than we should. Stowers will likely have a higher OPS next year, though being a good CF has value. If they put Mullins in a deal for a TOR starter Bellinger might be a reasonable bridge to Cowser, though I agree with the others that I'd prefer he be like the 5th best guy we sign. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=