2551 replies to this topic

#121 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 06:00 PM

Irrational that Elias wouldnt acknowledge that the team in the Playoff hunt, wasnt worth trying to add a player or two and dumped a player of two at trade deadline that did not help the team finish the season.

Added a player or two, would have rebuild the roster, regardless of the 2022 season outcome.

So now, we are supposed to be excited because he has said, we will have liftoff now.

Leave his cousin alone lol

#122 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,979 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 06:00 PM

Pederson accepted his QO from SF. Another LH bat I was interested in.

Martin Perez accepted his from the Rangers. Wasnt as high on Perez but a name priliminarily linked with the Os

#123 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 November 2022 - 06:28 PM

As expected Grayson Rodriguez, Joey Ortiz, Seth Johnson, Drew Rom, and Noah Denoyer added to the 40 man. Puts us at 39.

• BSLSteveBirrer and makoman like this

#124 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2022 - 12:31 PM

Every notable (notable is subjective but notable for me...at least) FA LH/SH left across the last two years

Screen-Shot-2022-11-16-at-12-15-51-PM.pn

she/her

#125 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,979 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 12:41 PM

Boras says Conforto likely signs a 1 yr deal. LH bat can play OF and DH. OPACY still friendly to lefties. Prob my #1 LH target at this point. Still wouldnt mind Bell or Brantley either.

#126 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 08:33 PM

Being reported by Jim Bowden that the O's are speaking to the agents of every free agent ace out there, and are a dark horse for Rodon.

https://www.mlb.com/...d_article-share

#127 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:30 AM

Being reported by Jim Bowden that the O's are speaking to the agents of every free agent ace out there, and are a dark horse for Rodon.

https://www.mlb.com/...d_article-share

I don't have a subscription to the Athletic, so maybe he wrote about this. But I wonder why the O's are a dark horse? They have the payroll flexibility. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the market still sees them as pretenders, until they prove otherwise.

• Mike B likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#128 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:35 AM

I don't have a subscription to the Athletic, so maybe he wrote about this. But I wonder why the O's are a dark horse? They have the payroll flexibility. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the market still sees them as pretenders, until they prove otherwise.

I think that's exactly what it is - the perception and reputation that follows them.
  • weird-O likes this

#129 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:41 AM

For my own sanity, I’m not riding the daily wave this off-season. This is kind of like when the Ravens play an inferior team and the game is ugly and you resign yourself to just wanting to W - doesn’t matter how.

I don’t care about being a “dark horse” for a top FA. I don’t care about making an early splash. I don’t care about coming close on several guys. I don’t care about having wonderful ideas for trades only for them to fall through despite their “best efforts”.

Only thing that matters is clear evidence of “take off”. We’ll know here soon. But I’m not riding that wave. Scoops like that from Bowden yesterday already annoy the crap out of me.
  • Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#130 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,979 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:44 AM

Its an active market. Real competition. Especially for those top 3 guys. 3 guys and probably 10 teams min in on each. Its not necessarily about the Os being cheap or not making a competitive offer. That could end up being true but if they are talking to all 3 of them then I have reason to believe they are serious about making a competitive offer. Otherwise they could already be focusing on the next tier

#131 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,979 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:51 AM

For my own sanity, I’m not riding the daily wave this off-season. This is kind of like when the Ravens play an inferior team and the game is ugly and you resign yourself to just wanting to W - doesn’t matter how.

I don’t care about being a “dark horse” for a top FA. I don’t care about making an early splash. I don’t care about coming close on several guys. I don’t care about having wonderful ideas for trades only for them to fall through despite their “best efforts”.

Only thing that matters is clear evidence of “take off”. We’ll know here soon. But I’m not riding that wave. Scoops like that from Bowden yesterday already annoy the crap out of me.

I understand not wanting to get on the roller coaster. The team will be considerably better positioned heading into '23 then the way they were when they ended '22. I believe that. I dont know how they will get there and what the pieces will be but I believe it.

#132 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:53 AM

Its an active market. Real competition. Especially for those top 3 guys. 3 guys and probably 10 teams min in on each. Its not necessarily about the Os being cheap or not making a competitive offer. That could end up being true but if they are talking to all 3 of them then I have reason to believe they are serious about making a competitive offer. Otherwise they could already be focusing on the next tier

I'm all positive vibes about them being in contact with the top shelf guys. But realistically speaking, I'm guessing they'll need to top the best offer in a note worthy manner. Matching the best offer from a team that's certain to be in the playoffs, won't get it done.  

• bmore_ken likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#133 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,979 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:38 AM

I'm all positive vibes about them being in contact with the top shelf guys. But realistically speaking, I'm guessing they'll need to top the best offer in a note worthy manner. Matching the best offer from a team that's certain to be in the playoffs, won't get it done.  

Thats where a tough decision comes in. At some point you cant overpay and you have to trust the process. I dont know where that point is for the Os. I do hope that moving back the LF wall helps at least in some small part. 

#134 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:14 AM

My thoughts exactly.  

I am not going to be disappointed if we do not land one of the high priced shortstops.

I will be disappointed if we come away with nothing.  Manage the budget wisely and improve the team.

@mikeghg

#135 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:17 AM

They can and even should overpay for short-term guys. Longterm is more difficult.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#136 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:22 AM

Thats where a tough decision comes in. At some point you cant overpay and you have to trust the process. I dont know where that point is for the Os. I do hope that moving back the LF wall helps at least in some small part. 

If I was a left handed pitcher especially one that is prone to giving up fly balls, I would have Camden Yard high up on my prefered ball parks.

That wall is death on right handed hitters.

@mikeghg

#137 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,979 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:26 AM

If I was a left handed pitcher especially one that is prone to giving up fly balls, I would have Camden Yard high up on my prefered ball parks.

That wall is death on right handed hitters.

Tyler Anderson was a LH GB pitcher.. Why I really liked him. Would have happily paid him what he got from the Angels and given up the draft pick. There are a few more lefties out there though

#138 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:26 AM

Yea, I think some definitely wonder if last year was a fluke.

I do subscribe to the Athletic, so here you go.

Nov. 16: Orioles could be dark horse for free-agent ace

Don’t count out the Orioles in the race for the best starters on the free-agent market.

“The Orioles are swimming in the ‘deep end’ and touching base with the agents for almost all of the free-agent pitchers,” The Athletic’s Jim Bowden (subscription required) writes.

Justin Verlander, Jacob deGrom and Carlos Rodón represent the top tier of available starting pitchers, followed by a group that includes Kodai Senga, Chris Bassitt, Jameson Taillon, Taijuan Walker, Nathan Eovaldi, Andrew Heaney and José Quintana. 

deGrom, Rodón, Bassitt and Eovaldi all have Draft compensation tied to them after declining qualifying offers, but as a revenue-sharing recipient in 2022, the O’s would only need to forfeit their third-highest pick in the 2023 MLB Draft to sign one of them.

Sparked by former No. 1 overall Draft pick Adley Rutschman and a strong bullpen, Baltimore made a surprising leap into contention last season, going 83-79 after losing 108 or more games in each of the previous three full seasons.

Highly regarded prospect Gunnar Henderson also had a promising late-season debut, and more talent is on the way, giving the O’s a strong foundation.

FanGraphs currently projects a 2023 payroll of roughly $41 million for Baltimore, so the club has room in the budget for a big signing or two.

General manager Mike Elias indicated Tuesday that the Orioles are looking to be active in free agency.

"We are working the phones right now,” Elias said MLB Network”s “High Heat.” “Free agency has started and I think we’ve got some targets out there that we’d like to bring in that have a lot of years under their belt.”

• weird-O likes this
@mikeghg

#139 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,979 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:30 AM

They can and even should overpay for short-term guys. Longterm is more difficult.

Sure if we are talking strictly from a value perspective but other teams are more wiling to overpay in the short term too. So you have to overpay on value and possibly overpay for being the Os. Im not saying that shouldnt be an option but at some point you cant do it.

#140 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:49 AM

Sure if we are talking strictly from a value perspective but other teams are more wiling to overpay in the short term too. So you have to overpay on value and possibly overpay for being the Os. Im not saying that shouldnt be an option but at some point you cant do it.

That point is only reached if it prevents them from getting other more desirable stuff done. If the opportunity cost is simply more money for ownership, then nah, that ain't it.

The advantage of having the payroll so comically low right now is that they should have more payroll flexibility than anyone. They don't have to fret about overpaying for someone on a 1-3 year contract nearly as much as most other teams. If they don't act on that then the advantage will be for naught.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=