@fuzydunlop

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:06 PM

In this ever-changing world, it's nice to know that something is still a constant.

• tennOsfan likes this

#45 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,304 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:10 PM

‘He looks like a full sized Mini-Me’ - Milligan about two hours ago

Hes not wrong

#46 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:23 PM

https://twitter.com/...uhZOTvZeMQ&s=19

Gotta love this.

#47 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:26 PM

fwiw, I'll be surprised if he's not taking a discount.  

HE might not have known until his name was called, but his agent had to know what they turned in.  How could the Orioles possibly not talk to that player/agent (all of them).  Everyone has to get their number in.  At #1 it should not be a surprise.

Matt Holliday made 160M in his career.  Where an extra million might mean something to most of these kids it's going to mean nothing to Jackson (and his brother/family), there's prestige going 1-1 and he can get himself there.

For the Orioles to do something else, they likely had numbers in mind.  If a guy like Jacob Berry (I'm talking about his agent, not the player) thinks his floor is the Marlins at #6 (discussion with them), then he doesn't need to discount at 4.5-5M to go higher.  If his draft floor is 10, he may be incentivized to make a bigger deal.

Everyone gets to do whatever they want, if Jackson wants to focus on his signing bonus - cool - but it's not like it's important financially.  1-1 is something, if you value the prestige associated with it.  That's kind of a pre-draft comment, it's in now so we'll see where it goes.  If he's slot, it just limits what you can do with the rest of the draft outside of slot....which isn't necessarily a big deal.

#48 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:29 PM

That's just discussion.

He would likely have been my pick too.

#49 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:32 PM

That's just discussion.

He would likely have been my pick too.

His agent is Boras. I sincerely doubt he's taking a discount

#50 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:38 PM

The thing I like best about this kid's profile is that he makes good, consistent contact.

A rare thing nowadays.

#51 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 11:33 PM

I don't think I've ever been more relieved at a pick than I have been with this one. No joke, when Vegas moved the lines to show Brooks Lee as the heavy favorite, it almost ruined my entire Saturday.

#52 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,304 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 11:42 PM

What do you mean almost

#53 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 11:48 PM

What do you mean almost

I mean, it was still pretty good. Spent the day out with the wife and pretended everything was fine.

#54 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 July 2022 - 12:06 AM

His agent is Boras. I sincerely doubt he's taking a discount

Right, but Boras is managing his board.  He's also the agent for Jones and Rocker.  If he knows the "Diamonds" are serious at 1-2 for Jones and he's cutting a deal with the Rangers at 1-3 for Rocker, if the Orioles go another direction (like Berry) then his client (Jackson Holliday) could slide to 5th or 6th (Miami where Berry went) and that puts him in the 6-7M range.  

If Berry is holding onto 6.5M and Holliday goes 7.5M, then it's harder for the Orioles to justify the perceived difference in Talent for 1M.

This isn't FA.  There's a process to get the most for your clients and he has some insight to action at the top.  He could be getting more money for his client and getting 1-1 by cutting a deal so he doesn't go 1-5 or 1-6 then has less money and doesn't get 1-1.

When Heyman tweets something, it's probably just the Boras Corp pirating his account (does Heyman just tweet what they tell him or has he surrendered his password?) and he's trying to generate post agreement action.

Just discussion, we'll see what happens.

#55 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 12:32 AM

Right, but Boras is managing his board. He's also the agent for Jones and Rocker. If he knows the "Diamonds" are serious at 1-2 for Jones and he's cutting a deal with the Rangers at 1-3 for Rocker, if the Orioles go another direction (like Berry) then his client (Jackson Holliday) could slide to 5th or 6th (Miami where Berry went) and that puts him in the 6-7M range.

If Berry is holding onto 6.5M and Holliday goes 7.5M, then it's harder for the Orioles to justify the perceived difference in Talent for 1M.

This isn't FA. There's a process to get the most for your clients and he has some insight to action at the top. He could be getting more money for his client and getting 1-1 by cutting a deal so he doesn't go 1- or 1-6 then has less money and doesn't get 1-1.

When Heyman tweets something, it's probably just the Boras Corp pirating his account (does Heyman just tweet what they tell him or has he surrendered his password?) and he's trying to generate post agreement action.

Just discussion, we'll see what happens.

We'll see. I expect him to get between 8 and 8.5 million. That's a small discount, but not much of one. I'd still take it mind you, but it's not going to move the needle much on ovesot picks.

Speaking of such things. I wonder how outrageous the demands are from Brock Porter to go pro...

#56 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 12:49 AM

https://youtu.be/IdnBiBTD3oo

Elias's rationale on the pick. Sounds like they truly just liked him best.

#57 BradJohnson

BradJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 08:23 AM

Read some of the discussion here, and I agree he'll probably sign for a slight discount relative to slot value. That said, he was a legit candidate for first overall so that discount probably won't change how they pick later in the draft. 

I recall awhile back someone on here was complaining about the Orioles always spending around 95-100% of their budget under Elias (you can spend up to 105%). I'd be willing to bet Jackson's deal clears them that little bit of wiggle room they like to reserve for emergencies without gaining much else.

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,304 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 08:29 AM

So young looking but you look at those broad shoulders and you know there is a lot of physicality left in that body.

• BobPhelan likes this

#59 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,304 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 10:07 AM

Its HS baseball but damn were his numbers eye popping and impressive.

#60 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2022 - 10:19 AM

Kid looks like Chucky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors