• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:37 PM

Word on the street, top pick Jackson Holliday is getting over $8M from the Orioles.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:38 PM

Mike Elias said he projects Jackson Holliday to remain a shortstop at the pro level. Says Holliday is a five-tool player

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:39 PM

@JonHeyman
Word on the street, top pick Jackson Holliday is getting over $8M from the Orioles.

Interesting

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:40 PM

The Oklahoman: Matt Holliday has lived a charmed baseball life. His oldest son, Jackson, could be next.

https://www.oklahoma...oys/9861958002/

#25 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:51 PM

So not much discount.

Sounds like what has been reported earlier. Holliday may not have any of the single best tool in the draft, but he's good at everything without a substantial weakness.

#26 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:52 PM

@masnRoch
Jackson Holliday said he found out the #orioles would draft him "as they were saying it."

They might be as good as any organization in any sport at keeping secrets.

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:35 PM

So not much discount.

Nor should he take one. He was the among the consensus five players who could go #1.

Might be a stretch, but Elias was with St. Louis for three of the seasons Matt played there; so perhaps they knew each other well enough that the Orioles had good knowledge of what they could sign Jackson for.

I'm totally content if they sign him for full-slot or very close, as it would signal he was their consensus best player in this draft.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#28 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:37 PM

Nor should he take one. He was the among the consensus five players who could go #1.

Might be a stretch, but Elias was with St. Louis for three of the seasons Matt played there; so perhaps they knew each other well enough that the Orioles had good knowledge of what they could sign Jackson for.

I'm totally content if they sign him for full-slot or very close, as it would signal he was their consensus best player in this draft.

Yup, basically.

From what Elias said, there wasn't a true consensus, but every decision maker was good with picking Holliday. No serious weaknesses and projectable as an above average MLB SS.

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:42 PM

Like that he’s a lefty. In this park now most of the bats they draft should be.

Any slight chance of signabilty issues? From Stillwater. Dad and Uncle coach at Okla. St, where this kid is committed to. I’d think not, but if they didn’t discuss drafting him, with him ahead of time, how do they know?
@BSLMikeRandall

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:42 PM

1) Orioles: Jackson Holliday, SS, Stillwater (Okla.) HS
Despite all the chatter that the Orioles might do a discount deal and select a player who would sign for a bonus below the recommended allotment, they went for talent at No. 1 overall. Holliday is the best combination of hitting ability and ceiling in this Draft, and a great fit for a strong Orioles farm system. He's a legitimate five-tool shortstop, who improved in all phases of his game this spring. MLB Network's Harold Reynolds compared him to Royals shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. on the broadcast and I like that comp. – Callis

https://www.mlb.com/...mplete-coverage

#31 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:44 PM

He's going to get a discount. There were multiple reports of him being in position to take a bit less because of the family $.

Depends on what you consider a discount. He’s getting over $8m.
@JeremyMStrain

#32 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:44 PM

Like that he’s a lefty. In this park now most of the bats they draft should be.

Any slight chance of signabilty issues? From Stillwater. Dad and Uncle coach at Okla. St, where this kid is committed to. I’d think not, but if they didn’t discuss drafting him, with him ahead of time, how do they know?

If they didn't discuss whether he'd be willing to turn pro in their evaluation process, they deserve what they get. I'm sure they'll sign him.

#33 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:46 PM

1) Orioles: Jackson Holliday, SS, Stillwater (Okla.) HS
Despite all the chatter that the Orioles might do a discount deal and select a player who would sign for a bonus below the recommended allotment, they went for talent at No. 1 overall. Holliday is the best combination of hitting ability and ceiling in this Draft, and a great fit for a strong Orioles farm system. He's a legitimate five-tool shortstop, who improved in all phases of his game this spring. MLB Network's Harold Reynolds compared him to Royals shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. on the broadcast and I like that comp. – Callis

https://www.mlb.com/...mplete-coverage

Sounds like this could be a Corey and Kyle Seager situation in a few years. His brother is thought to be as good or maybe even better than him. Regardless, I'm glad they prioritized talent. That's all I've wanted them to do.

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:47 PM

Not much underslot. Thats a bit surprising but the talent is evident. Could move to CF or stay on the dirt.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:47 PM

Depends on what you consider a discount. He’s getting over $8m.

He's definitely getting $8M.  And given that the O's didn't talk to him before the selection, he's not taking much of a discount...  agree with you and Mike Lowe above.    Was talk - even with him being seen as Top 4 by pretty much everyone - of him taking a slight discount if he went 1st.  But doesn't sound like the O's had a pre-draft deal, so maybe he gets full slot.   Fine either way.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:49 PM

So, not a college bat...   but another Middle INF, bat speed, contact....  defensive ability as well...  projectability, strong character / makeup.  Checked a lot of boxes.

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:51 PM

He's definitely getting $8M.  And given that the O's didn't talk to him before the selection, he's not taking much of a discount...  agree with you and Mike Lowe above.    Was talk - even with him being seen as Top 4 by pretty much everyone - of him taking a slight discount if he went 1st.  But doesn't sound like the O's had a pre-draft deal, so maybe he gets full slot.   Fine either way.

Even if it takes $8.5M to sign him, that's still $340K below slot that could come in handy later.

#38 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:52 PM

So, not a college bat... but another Middle INF, bat speed, contact.... defensive ability as well... projectability, strong character / makeup. Checked a lot of boxes.

Above average power as well.

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:52 PM

Sounds like this could be a Corey and Kyle Seager situation in a few years. His brother is thought to be as good or maybe even better than him. Regardless, I'm glad they prioritized talent. That's all I've wanted them to do.

If that is the case, hopefully the Orioles are in no position to select his brother.

#40 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:57 PM

If that is the case, hopefully the Orioles are in no position to select his brother.

I hope not. For context, he spent the year hitting second, while his freshman brother hit third.

Granted, batting orders are done a little differently in high school, but it's crazy that the high school player of the year was hitting second in front of his 14-year-old brother.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=