442 replies to this topic

#401 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:53 AM

Friday's game is on Apple TV instead of MASN.

#402 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,093 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:31 AM

DeRosa was comparing him mechanically to Robinson Cano yesterday. I think a young Cano offensive profile works too. Cano didnt hit 20 HRs til his 5th full year at 26 yrs old but the avg and XBHs on the whole were there early in his career.

How about Alex Bregman?  He had the huge homer years in '18 and '19 but only in the 20s since then.  Holliday maybe develops the better hit tool but less power.

Rutschman might not be a bad comp either.  I again think Holliday has the stronger hit tool, but Rutschman is comparable at controlling the strike zone and drawing walks.

#403 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,686 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:34 AM

How about Alex Bregman?  He had the huge homer years in '18 and '19 but only in the 20s since then.  Holliday maybe develops the better hit tool but less power.

Rutschman might not be a bad comp either.  I again think Holliday has the stronger hit tool, but Rutschman is comparable at controlling the strike zone and drawing walks.

Yeah reaching across positions Adley is prob a good offensive profile comp. At least early in his career. I do think his future offensive ceiling is higher than Adley. I could see a Cano type prime. Cano hit .301 for his career so thats a high bar but Jackson could do it. I think the pure hit tool is very good

#404 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,872 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 April 2024 - 09:18 AM

Friday's game is on Apple TV instead of MASN.

Of course it is :mad:

#405 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,969 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:42 PM

Holliday has significantly more power than a lot of people think. Easy 20+ as soon as next year.

#406 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,580 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:52 PM

Holliday has significantly more power than a lot of people think. Easy 20+ as soon as next year.

Yeah, the bat speed is going to have him at 25 by next year I think. Obviously he will continue to get stronger. The blast he had to open the season at Norfolk was indicative of real power.

#407 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,686 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 11:39 PM

Someone said Sat was the day we couldve called Jackson up and not lost the extra year of service time. Were these 2 games plus whatever he does tomoroow worth it. Sitting on an 0-8, 4Ks and some misplays going back on a few balls. Of course this is no indicitement on Holliday's future. Have already said above what I think he can be offensively. But once you waited the first 2 weeks to not wait a few more days is beyond stupid.

Also showing why you just dont throw 3 or 4 inexperienced young guys into the same MLB lineup. We saw it with Gunnar. We saw it with Cowser. Often times there is a real adjustment perod in the box for an exteded period. Choose 1 or 2 at most to break in at the same time. Not 3 or 4.

#408 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,093 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 06:40 AM

Were these 2 games plus whatever he does tomoroow worth it. 

Only if he finishes top-2 in ROY.  That's the permutation they are now expecting, which is different from what they thought when setting the Opening Day roster, hence the callup.

#409 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 09:14 AM

I hadn't heard about the role Fred Tyler played in Holliday wearing #7.

Yet as they planned for Holliday’s arrival, Orioles officials considered the possibility that Holliday might be the right player to bring No. 7 back into circulation. But giving No. 7 to Holliday was a bigger deal, even, than when they decided to give Mike Mussina’s old number, 35, to Adley Rutschman two years ago. Mussina is an all-time Orioles great, but the Ripkens are Orioles royalty.

Still, if the Orioles are right about him, Jackson Holliday is a once-in-a-generation type, too. So late Tuesday night, as Holliday was getting ready for an early-morning flight to meet the team in Boston, Orioles officials made a suggestion. And for perhaps the first time in a young professional baseball career marked by uncommon comfort on the field and in the batter’s box, Holliday seemed unsure.

“They were like, ‘You can call Cal [Ripken Jr.] if you want,’ ” Holliday said. “But I didn’t really want to bother him; it was like 11 o’clock at night.”

The next morning, at 7:45 a.m., Ripken’s phone rang. Holliday didn’t want to trouble the Hall of Famer, but longtime Orioles clubhouse attendant Fred Tyler didn’t mind. Tyler has worked for the Orioles longer than Holliday has been alive and has decades of history with the Ripkens. So with the Orioles open to the idea, Tyler called Ripken. He asked him how he would feel if someone else, after all this time, finally wore his father’s number.

Jackson Holliday’s No. 7 Orioles jersey happened with a call to Cal Ripken Jr. - The Washington Post

• BSLSteveBirrer and SonicAttack like this

#410 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:25 AM

Holliday is looking like the lack of success and the piling up of K's is wearing on him. The good news is that the team is playing well. I feel like he really needs a multi hit game soon to boost his confidence.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#411 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,686 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:10 PM

Looking for rational responses. No long term outlooks here as Jasckson will be fine. At what point do we send him back down if he doesnt start showing signs of life? I was a big advocate of once you call him up you give him a lot of time but its clear he's severly overmatched right now. Another week? Two weeks?

#412 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,686 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:13 PM

Like I knew struggling was a possibility but a 14:1 K/BB rate with only one hit in 26 PA is crazy. Particularylt eh strikeout to walk ratio which was exceptional in the minors. Im shocked hes not making more contact

#413 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,711 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:24 PM

If he's still striking out over 50% of the time, rarely walking, and batting under .100 in 2-3 weeks.... it may be time to reassess.

#414 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:31 PM

Grayson got 10 starts, almost 2 months. Cowser got 43 days, but that was maybe/likely also influenced by keeping rookie status, that won't be an issue this early in the year because you hope he's back later in the year. Cowser also wasn't playing every day and only got 77 PAs, Holliday already has 26 in one week. 

I'd say they aren't even thinking about it yet, but Grayson shows they'd be willing to send a big time prospect down, I'd say less than his 2 months. He at last had a mix of decent/good and terrible starts, it's harder to keep if he's only terrible. Maybe like a month/100 PAs if he's still severely scuffling. If he turns around a bit, even up to like Mateo last summer, they will give him more of a leash and probably keep him up.

#415 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,969 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:02 PM

Grayson got 10 starts, almost 2 months. Cowser got 43 days, but that was maybe/likely also influenced by keeping rookie status, that won't be an issue this early in the year because you hope he's back later in the year. Cowser also wasn't playing every day and only got 77 PAs, Holliday already has 26 in one week.

I'd say they aren't even thinking about it yet, but Grayson shows they'd be willing to send a big time prospect down, I'd say less than his 2 months. He at last had a mix of decent/good and terrible starts, it's harder to keep if he's only terrible. Maybe like a month/100 PAs if he's still severely scuffling. If he turns around a bit, even up to like Mateo last summer, they will give him more of a leash and probably keep him up.

I’d say 5-6 weeks. Then maybe you swap him with Mayo at that point. I do expect him to get comfortable before that time tho.

#416 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,093 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:17 PM

10 more days if it stays this bad. Any improvement, even just to pitcher level, and then it's 3 more weeks. Mid-May he needs to be at least at "bad regular" level.
  • You Play to Win the Game and russsnyder like this

#417 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:21 PM

10 more days if it stays this bad. Any improvement, even just to pitcher level, and then it's 3 more weeks. Mid-May he needs to be at least at "bad regular" level.

I agree.

He's really pressing, you can see it in his face.

He's trying to get three hits in one AB right now.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#418 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 April 2024 - 09:25 PM

If there's still somehow no improvement in a week, I'd send him down to work on stuff and regain his confidence. Then hey, there's that extra year of service (probably).

Heck, I'd even consider it after the KC series if it remains this bad. It would be one thing if he was making relatively consistent contact and somewhat often good contact, but that's not what's happening. Overmatched is the right term imo and I'd rather get him right without sacrificing the team and while potentially gaining an extra year of service than just waiting for him to figure it out.

#419 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,789 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 April 2024 - 09:46 PM

He probably only starts 3 of the next 6 with them likely facing LHers (Ragans, Detmers and Anderson).

#420 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,686 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:04 AM

Hes got to show some improvement in the next week to 10 days. You cant be overmatched the way he is being overmatched and survive up here long. I certainly thought he might struggle but how badly he is struggling is surprising

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=