442 replies to this topic

#421 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,718 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:06 AM

He probably only starts 3 of the next 6 with them likely facing LHers (Ragans, Detmers and Anderson).

Maybe sitting and being able to breath a bit will help. Sucks we are about to hit another stretch of lefties though

#422 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:43 AM

I think his actual performance isn't the key here. I think there are two factors that really only the staff who sees him up close every day can assess.

1. What is his mental state? If he's still upbeat then you keep him up. If he's getting down then a refresh may be needed.

AND

2. What is more valuable to his development? Sending him down to get back on track or battle through it at this level?

#423 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:49 AM

I think his actual performance isn't the key here. I think there are two factors that really only the staff who sees him up close every day can assess.

1. What is his mental state? If he's still upbeat then you keep him up. If he's getting down then a refresh may be needed.

AND

2. What is more valuable to his development? Sending him down to get back on track or battle through it at this level?

He's probably in the trickiest category for prospects. Send him down and he tears the cover off the ball, but he's not hitting here yet.

I think you've got to keep him up and let him work through it. He will get there.

@JeremyMStrain

#424 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,718 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 08:36 AM

Agian, I was the biggest advocate for letting him work through things. YOu cant be striking out at 50% and hitting .100 and stay for very long. Of course those type of stats are going to negatively affect your psyche/confidence BTW. We will see what the next 7-10 days bring. I think he gets at least that long but he cant be a total zero up here. We are trying to win. Funny that was the line used by those that were crying about not making the team out of ST and why he wasnt called up earlier. We have been in a worse place at 2b since he was recalled vs before he was recaled so far. As underwhelming as Urias or Mateo are as everyday options at 2b they may be better in the short term

#425 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 06:05 PM

I'm no hitting coach but I think Jackson needs to swing at the first pitch that's anywhere near the plate. Forget being patient and working the count. Getting behind is too overwhelming for him and he's not getting the close calls. Swing early and see what happens.

#426 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 10:11 PM

Getting behind in the count and not catching up to the high heat. Those are two of Holliday's biggest problems right now.

#427 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 07:28 AM

4 walks last night for Holliday and had a 3-hit game earlier in the week, but overall a slow/weird return to AAA for him.  He's 4/20 with 2 2B and 6 BB.  Only 2 K.

#428 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 May 2024 - 07:43 AM

4 walks last night for Holliday and had a 3-hit game earlier in the week, but overall a slow/weird return to AAA for him.  He's 4/20 with 2 2B and 6 BB.  Only 2 K.

I wonder if this is a reflection on AAA pitchers being too afraid of him versus big league guys who just go after him? The 6 walks to only 2 Ks is totally weird.

#429 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 07:53 AM

In his last 5 games before he was promoted he was 4-17 with 1 2B, 9 BB, and 3 K, which isn't all that different. I doubt it means much of anything.

It is good though that he went down and immediately stopped striking out. Yes MLB pitchers are better and all samples are small, but 50% to 10% K rate is quite a difference, it would have been disappointing if he went down and continued to be in that funk.

• BobPhelan likes this

#430 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2024 - 01:01 PM

With just 20 ABs it's hard to tell much. Did he make good contact on some of those 16 outs? As long as the K #s are low, I take it as a good sign.

• BobPhelan likes this

#431 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 10 May 2024 - 12:21 PM

5 hits (including a homer), 6 walks and no strikeouts in his past 3 games.  Brings him up to 282/482/426/943 since returning to Norfolk.

#432 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 May 2024 - 02:05 PM

I suppose he just needs to get those at bats in, and eventually he'll be able to make the transition to the big leagues. Because he clearly has nothing to learn at the minor league level, and clearly isn't a MLB caliber player (yet).

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#433 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 09:18 AM

I suppose he just needs to get those at bats in, and eventually he'll be able to make the transition to the big leagues. Because he clearly has nothing to learn at the minor league level, and clearly isn't a MLB caliber player (yet).

Not necessarily, the last 28 days in the minors he has a .707 OPS.

@DaKittenz

#434 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,718 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 09:28 AM

He needs real time down in AAA. Let him get the mechanics worked out and completely reset

#435 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,970 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 May 2024 - 03:56 PM

Homer and a double today. Stayed on a low and away offspeed pitch and lifted it out which is a good sign. I’d still give Mayo a shot before Jackson again.

#436 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,718 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 04:02 PM

Homer and a double today. Stayed on a low and away offspeed pitch and lifted it out which is a good sign. I’d still give Mayo a shot before Jackson again.

Seems hes been inconsistent since going back but the numbers in a lot of ways are irrelevant. Is he making the adjustments to be better in MLB the second time around. Thats what matters
  • BobPhelan likes this

#437 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2024 - 11:43 AM

I think Mayo for Urias could happen soon. The Orioles need another right handed bat.  I think we will see Ramon get traded for someone we may never hear from, but that is baseball.

The issue will be how many AB's they give Mayo and can he produce defensively.

THey have a good problem.  When Holliday comes back who loses at bats if Mayo is on the team.  Mounty, Gunnar and Westy are all going to play all most everyday. 

@mikeghg

#438 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 May 2024 - 12:30 PM

I think Mayo for Urias could happen soon. The Orioles need another right handed bat.  I think we will see Ramon get traded for someone we may never hear from, but that is baseball.

The issue will be how many AB's they give Mayo and can he produce defensively.

THey have a good problem.  When Holliday comes back who loses at bats if Mayo is on the team.  Mounty, Gunnar and Westy are all going to play all most everyday. 

I have to agree about Urias. He can be an everyday player, but not for the O's. I'm sure he loves being on a competitive team. But most players would rather be someplace where they get to take the field on a regular basis.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#439 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 06:16 PM

IL elbow inflammation.

#440 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 17 June 2024 - 05:42 PM

I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like Holliday's meteoric rise is hitting a skid. He hasn't done particularly well at AAA since going back down, and now this. Feels possible at this rate that we might not see him with the O's again until next summer at the earliest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=