429 replies to this topic

#381 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 11:04 PM

Just an absolutely idiotic business decision.

#382 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 11:24 PM

Maybe Westburg is hurt. Not waiting another five days is very Un-Elias like. That makes me think there's an injury.

#383 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 April 2024 - 08:41 AM

I called it.

https://x.com/theori...VUJft8skf32X07Q
  • Mike B likes this

#384 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 09:08 AM

I called it.

COngrats. Truly.  But just a dumb business decision. Especially after waiting 2 weeks. Makes zero sense. The draft pick is what like 35th. Cool, I guess. Just not worth the risk of waiting literally days to possibly gain a whole year.  Literal days at this point.  Mindblowingly dumb. All that said, Im super excited to see Holliday. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#385 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 09:11 AM

Urias and Westburg struggling helped push the issue along with Holliday getting off to a hot start. Even more reason for me to dislike Urias.

#386 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 April 2024 - 10:14 AM

Urias and Westburg struggling helped push the issue along with Holliday getting off to a hot start. Even more reason for me to dislike Urias.

Yeah but Kemp is the one that got dumped. Why on earth did they sign him for $1M?

Could have kept Wong.

Didn't gain really anything by sending him down for 2 weeks.

Totally lost as to how this makes any rational sense. I get the ROY and pick arguments. But at this point why not wait 3 freaking days and maybe get a whole year. Comp draft pick means so little compared to a potential full year on the back end.

• SonicAttack likes this

#387 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 10:31 AM

I called it.

Impressive.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#388 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 10:41 AM

I think it's pretty clear they initially intended to keep Holliday down until they could gain a year of service time. All of their actions indicate that including signing Kemp.

But things change.

They probably saw how tragic their bottom of the order was, and they felt a little urgency after losing a few games they shouldn't have. And most of all, I think they feel very confident that JH is going to place top 2 in ROY no matter when they bring him up (within reason). Might as well try to recoup the draft pick.

Elias isn't an idiot. He has a reason.

#389 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 10:49 AM

I think it's pretty clear they initially intended to keep Holliday down until they could gain a year of service time. All of their actions indicate that including signing Kemp.

But things change.

They probably saw how tragic their bottom of the order was, and they felt a little urgency after losing a few games they shouldn't have. And most of all, I think they feel very confident that JH is going to place top 2 in ROY no matter when they bring him up (within reason). Might as well try to recoup the draft pick.

Elias isn't an idiot. He has a reason.

I know he's a Boras baby.

But that doesn't mean he didn't agree to an unreported contract extension, rendering team control moot. It certainly would explain the curious decision-making beyond the O's lack of hitting the first two weeks of the season. 

#390 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 April 2024 - 10:55 AM

I called it.

Good Call.  Elias has a reason for everything he does and he seemingly wanted JH to get another week or so or playing second base, before doing it at the major league level.  Exciting times.  I think, Elias sees the extra draft pick almost as important as the extra year.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#391 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 April 2024 - 11:12 AM

Looking at the big picture, I am going to enjoy watching this team mature.  I grew up at a time where the Orioles had guys named Robinson(s), Powell, and then later Ripken, Murray, Singleton surrounded by a core of great pitchers and a corp of good players, who were always augmented by top prospects coming from the farm system.  This team very easily could have their own trio of stars, a top staff of pitching and many good players here now and on the way.

I think the next 5-10 years could provide every bit of fun that the great Oriole teams of the past did.  Enjoy the ride people.

Tear it up Jackson!

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#392 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 11:48 AM

Looks like there's a Holliday t-shirt giveaway at Friday's game.

#393 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 April 2024 - 01:50 PM

Please tell me his walkup music is Holliday Road

• BobPhelan and SonicAttack like this

#394 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 01:53 PM

ruff-ruff, ruff!

ruff-ruff, ruff!

• glenn__davis likes this

#395 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 April 2024 - 04:45 PM

Holliday Celebrate 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#396 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 April 2024 - 04:55 PM

#397 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 05:09 PM

#398 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:04 AM

I wonder what a good comp for Holliday would be. I guess maybe Seager with less power. I dont think he will have the 30 HR power of Seager. At least not in his early 20s. Getting to 20 HRs would surprise me over the next few years. But you look at the total OPS he put up at a young age in the minors and its right there in line with and even better than guys like Guerrero, Trout, Harper, etc. Interesting profile.

#399 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:13 AM

The one small complaint about his milb numbers is his groundball rate. Its a part of why I wonder about the power/slg early in his career. I dont worry that much about the pure hit tool and eye/on base skills

#400 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:19 AM

DeRosa was comparing him mechanically to Robinson Cano yesterday. I think a young Cano offensive profile works too. Cano didnt hit 20 HRs til his 5th full year at 26 yrs old but the avg and XBHs on the whole were there early in his career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=