@bopper33

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 12:44 PM

I don't think the returns for Mancini, Santander, and Lyles will be particularly interesting.  I could see a back-end top-20 prospect for Mancini and Santander.  Maybe someone who is inside the top-30 for Lyles but probably a younger international guy who has yet to crack those lists yet.

I'd pass on a Mancini trade unless the returns are better than I'm expecting.  I'm ok with pulling the trigger on a Santander deal even at the lower values since we want to see Stowers get some long run.  Lyles I'd probably keep.

Lopez is the really interesting possibility.  Its makes pretty good sense to cash out relievers having career years and the offers for him should be significant.  I love what he's doing here and I'd have trust in him to continue being good (though not this dominant) next year, but I think I'd move him if a strong offer is on the table.

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 July 2022 - 01:41 PM

If the Os remain in contention it makes it harder to trade away anyone. In theory it shouldn't and ELias seems to want to stick the plan but you cant tell me the human element wont make it tougher for him to trade away Trey or Lopez. Especially those two. Santander, Odor I dont think would cause a huge stink

If they trade Santander, I would want a major league ready player back.  He has been a large part of this revival.  Odor, he has had some clutch moments and seems to be a favorite with his team mates, but deal him if there is  similar value back, then bring up Vavra, Henderson, Westburg or all three..

@mikeghg

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 02:23 PM

If they trade Santander, I would want a major league ready player back.  He has been a large part of this revival.  Odor, he has had some clutch moments and seems to be a favorite with his team mates, but deal him if there is  similar value back, then bring up Vavra, Henderson, Westburg or all three..

A prospect comparable to Vavra feels a little high but generally reasonable to me for Santander.

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 July 2022 - 04:06 PM

A prospect comparable to Vavra feels a little high but generally reasonable to me for Santander.

Yea I guess.  It is time to stop the "pipeline trades and add to the ML roster.  I would have liked to see them try to extend Trey in a 2 or 3 year deal..  I am not sure why there wasn't even an effort made.

@mikeghg

#26 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 05:31 PM

Yea I guess.  It is time to stop the "pipeline trades and add to the ML roster.  I would have liked to see them try to extend Trey in a 2 or 3 year deal..  I am not sure why there wasn't even an effort made.

Honestly, we have a lot of ML-ready talent.  We need to also remain cognizant of back-filling the pipeline for sustained success.  I'm OK with that plan instead of mediocre ML-ready talent.

• BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 05:34 PM

Trading Santander would be as much about creating a spot for Stowers as it would be about the prospect(s) coming back in the trade. I like the idea of selling high while he's having a good season and has remaining control to maximize return.
  • DuffMan likes this

#28 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 12 July 2022 - 06:22 PM

So, apparently we got Head today!  So there's that!  ;-)

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#29 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 July 2022 - 11:11 AM

I've been listening to the radio and reading online (including here) about the deadline and Mancini's potential value, and it seems that he would only net a decent prospect.  I must say that I now hope he stays through the end of this year.  I have no interest in resigning him (at least beyond one year), but believe he has more value to this current team than what appears to be his value at the deadline.  The O's should seek to extend Lyles if they can't fetch a great return. The funny thing is, he's exactly what we're looking for, in a solid veteran that is great with the younger pitchers. Lopez could go either way, but I'll be okay with whatever Elias chooses. Santander is the likeliest guy to be dealt. So, IMHO at this juncture, with no likely great returns for our guys and having our fanbase excited for the first time in years, it may wind up being a fairly quiet trade deadline.

EDIT: updated as Mackus corrected me by saying Lyles is 31 (32 in October).

• Steve55 likes this

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 09:09 PM

Lyles is 31 and the team has an $11M option in on him for '23.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#31 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 July 2022 - 09:44 PM

Rumors on Twitter of Mancini to the Mets. 🤷🏼‍♂️

#32 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 09:51 PM

Rumors on Twitter of Mancini to the Mets. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Where would he play? Outfield? DH? Is Alonso still playing 1st?

#33 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 July 2022 - 09:53 PM

Where would he play? Outfield? DH? Is Alonso still playing 1st?

No idea. It’s an off day so I’m willing to keep an eye on what are most likely trolls.

#34 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:36 AM

Lyles is 31 and the team has an $11M option in on him for '23.

My bad... had heard on the radio he was 28, but you're right.  Thanks for the correction.

#35 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:37 AM

Seems like Mancini to the Red Sox makes a lot of sense, since they basically have a void at 1B, although I'm not sure why the O's would want to do that.

#36 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:43 AM

The O's are really in a decent position coming into the deadline. They don't have to trade anybody. If they let guys walk once they reach FA its not that big a deal. Mancini and Santander aren't going to get much in return. But this also puts them in the drivers seat. If teams need some help the O's can hold out for a better return.

Yeah the Red Sux would be a good fit for Trey but just the thought of that makes me ill.

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:50 AM

No idea. It’s an off day so I’m willing to keep an eye on what are most likely trolls.

Just dumb speculation. Internet has been all over Mancini to Mets, Twins or RSox since Spring Training.

@JeremyMStrain

#38 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 10:02 AM

Seems like Mancini to the Red Sox makes a lot of sense, since they basically have a void at 1B, although I'm not sure why the O's would want to do that.

Mancini to the Red Sox would break my heart.

#39 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 July 2022 - 01:00 PM

Removing the emotional aspect of trading Trey to Boston, it's a dicey trade scenario. When Boston traded Andrew Miller to Baltimore, they weren't in the playoff picture, so I didn't hurt them to trade with a division rival. In this case, the O's would be helping a rival that is currently blocking them from holding a WC position. So unless Boston would be giving up one of their contributing players (that they would presumably have a positional surplus of) trading Trey would be directly detrimental to their own playoff aspirations. And it would essentially be the waving of a playoff white flag.

• JStruds likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 01:25 PM

Removing the emotional aspect of trading Trey to Boston, it's a dicey trade scenario. When Boston traded Andrew Miller to Baltimore, they weren't in the playoff picture, so I didn't hurt them to trade with a division rival. In this case, the O's would be helping a rival that is currently blocking them from holding a WC position. So unless Boston would be giving up one of their contributing players (that they would presumably have a positional surplus of) trading Trey would be directly detrimental to their own playoff aspirations. And it would essentially be the waving of a playoff white flag.

If you trade Trey (or Lopez or Santander or Lyles) you're pretty much white flagging the playoff race.  That doesn't mean the team can't stay in it, but its saying that you aren't trying to win it at the above-the-field level.

I'm not against such a move, I think the playoff odds are wildly low.  Trading away midseason bothers me dramatically less than not making a bear minimum effort from the outset.  And even though that's what they did, here we are, so even if they trade away guys and the players/coaches don't get any assistance from management, they still could continue to confound and play well enough to stick around.

• Greg Pappas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=