#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:14 PM

The 800 M to refurbish Camden Yards should deliver aLT extension.

@mikeghg

#22 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:20 PM

If they move to Nashville, it seems like it will because the wrong son failed to pass the bar and got control of the team as a consolation prize.

Must be nice to fail upwards to that degree.
  • Pedro Cerrano and CantonJester like this

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:46 PM

MLB hates stories like this. They'll be pushing for resolution.

Definitely. If the complaint is accurate, John and Lou were already at loggerheads when MLB approved John as the "control person" of the franchise. Any discovery/testimony in this case will probably dig into that process; and we all know professional sports leagues hate it with a white-hot passion when the public gets a peek into the inner-workings of their little billionaire boys club.

#24 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:58 PM

Thanksgiving must be fun at the Angelos table.

@mikeghg

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 09:06 PM

Any examples of one part-owner suing another? Related or not.

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 June 2022 - 09:58 PM

Any examples of one part-owner suing another? Related or not.

I recall there was some litigation within the Bowlen family (Broncos) when Pat became mostly incapacitated from Alzheimer's. Don't recall how it was resolved. In that instance you had cousins involved, as I think Pat Bowlen's siblings owned a piece of the team.

#27 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,729 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 June 2022 - 11:06 PM

Well this will make it easy for MLB to not approve the transfer.

It feels like there's some stuff that would be pretty inconsistent with other things we know. 

We do have a couple things in there that match other timelines.

The Orioles aren't moving.

#28 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 12:54 AM

If they move to Nashville, it seems like it will because the wrong son failed to pass the bar and got control of the team as a consolation prize.

Must be nice to fail upwards to that degree.

I don't see MLB approving such a move. They're likely going to wait to see what Oakland and Tampa--two teams with uncertain futures in their current cities--ultimately decide whether or not to relocate. 

#29 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 05:30 AM

Oh, and kudos to The Baltimore Banner for finding this first. Maybe their first big story. I'd say The Sun was asleep at the wheel, but I honestly doubt they have any reporters left who would be assigned to be looking out for this sort of thing. Their newsroom is probably a ghost town these days.

Well, The Sun has been getting their free advertising at the ballpark for years now apparently... why would you want to break a story like this first and risk having that come down even sooner? ;)

#30 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 05:36 AM

This goes a long way to explaining, why the payroll is so low, and they arent really doing all that they can do, to rebuild.

#31 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 05:49 AM

If true, John ordering Elias to fire Brady was a godsend.  And the fact that Georgia doesn't want this lawsuit doesn't quite sound like the hostile takeover that Louis is portraying. It sounds like Louis did his family duty and now wants out and wanted to get paid and John wants to own and to keep the team in Baltimore.

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 06:26 AM

Balt Sun: https://www.baltimor...m2sy-story.html

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 06:32 AM

When will the Angelos family circus finally leave town for good? I am so ready to be free of this family.
  • Mackus likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 06:34 AM

They almost make you wanna root for the asbestos...
  • You Play to Win the Game, Mike in STL and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#35 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 June 2022 - 06:34 AM

If true, John ordering Elias to fire Brady was a godsend. And the fact that Georgia doesn't want this lawsuit doesn't quite sound like the hostile takeover that Louis is portraying. It sounds like Louis did his family duty and now wants out and wanted to get paid and John wants to own and to keep the team in Baltimore.

How much to never see you post again?

@fuzydunlop

#36 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 06:37 AM

"...Selling the team while Peter Angelos is alive would result in steep capital gains taxes, but a sale after his death could save the family hundreds of millions of dollars..."

That's really what the payroll reduction is, and has always been, all about. Slash outstanding financial commitments to as little as possible while still trudging through 162 completely meaningless games and taking your easy, guaranteed, no-effort-needed profits... biding time for Peter's passing. Then you're free to do whatever you want and maximize your take-home windfall. I've said it before, but don't expect how the major league product is operated to change much at all until something significant changes on the ownership side.
  • CantonJester likes this

#37 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 06:53 AM

The "move" insinuation, I suspect it's Lou more trying to create some extra heat on John publicly. But regardless, as long as this legal crap is going on, there's zero real reason to be optimistic Elias and company will have the ability to do much of anything in terms of adding truly difference making talent from the outside.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 06:53 AM

I want to preemptively dismiss any "well if they sell you don't know how the new owners will be" arguments. It'd be damn near impossible to get worse.
  • BobPhelan and CantonJester like this

#39 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 07:00 AM

Well this’ll be fun

I think it'll be interesting for sure. O's valued at $1.375B in March, according to Forbes.

@MikeFastNFL

#40 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 07:02 AM

I want to preemptively dismiss any "well if they sell you don't know how the new owners will be" arguments. It'd be damn near impossible to get worse.

I'd love love love to see a new ownership group gain control of both the Orioles and MASN. Managed right all around, and this becomes a "fairly big market" franchise regardless of what Baltimore City's population is.
  • CantonJester likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=