467 replies to this topic

#41 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 07:04 AM

I'd love love love to see a new ownership group gain control of both the Orioles and MASN. Managed right all around, and this becomes a "fairly big market" franchise regardless of what Baltimore City's population is.

you act like that would be an automatic occurrence to come in and manage right all the way around.

as bad as they are, Ive seen worse in my lifetime.

#42 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 07:19 AM

I don't know if it's true (legit info isn't easy to come by) but I know I've read that if Angelos sells then the Nats get their rights back and get to leave MASN. I'm sure MASN could still have value if done right, but losing the DC market would certainly hurt.

edit I just read a Washington Post article that said this rights reversion had been erroneously published before and would not automatically happen on O's sale so who knows.

#43 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 07:27 AM

you act like that would be an automatic occurrence to come in and manage right all the way around.

as bad as they are, Ive seen worse in my lifetime.

Didn't say it would be automatic or guaranteed. But change would be a welcome new path to try. And given that they've posted one of if not the worst runs of losing in modern baseball history the last few seasons, I don't know how much worse anybody has really seen, at least as far as MLB goes.

#44 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 June 2022 - 07:37 AM

I don't know if it's true (legit info isn't easy to come by) but I know I've read that if Angelos sells then the Nats get their rights back and get to leave MASN. I'm sure MASN could still have value if done right, but losing the DC market would certainly hurt.

edit I just read a Washington Post article that said this rights reversion had been erroneously published before and would not automatically happen on O's sale so who knows.

My thinking is, if Angelos sells, MLB will intercede and work out a plan to relieve DC of their MASN chains. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#45 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 07:40 AM

I don't see MLB approving such a move. They're likely going to wait to see what Oakland and Tampa--two teams with uncertain futures in their current cities--ultimately decide whether or not to relocate. 

In my baseball dream world, The Orioles move to who cares where, and MLB allows the Rays to move into Baltimore. Boom, instant contender that now has a great venue and increased revenue. Imagine a world where the Rays impact pitching assembly line has the money to keep those arms and add any necessary offense.

• Ravens2006 and JStruds like this

#46 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 June 2022 - 07:48 AM

If true, John ordering Elias to fire Brady was a godsend. And the fact that Georgia doesn't want this lawsuit doesn't quite sound like the hostile takeover that Louis is portraying. It sounds like Louis did his family duty and now wants out and wanted to get paid and John wants to own and to keep the team in Baltimore.

“This likely means X which means likely Y which means Z”

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#47 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 07:51 AM

Maybe we don't know for sure, but my gut feeling is that in whatever details were in the original agreement(s) made with MLB that paved the way for the Expos move... it would seem unlikely that Angelos (who was likely more "with it" at the time) would not have seen that the VALUE of the network is likely much greater with basically two teams locked in versus just one.  So if he was thinking "maximize value" at the time, he probably would have fought hard against any out clause for the Nationals rights.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#48 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 08:06 AM

Didn't say it would be automatic or guaranteed. But change would be a welcome new path to try. And given that they've posted one of if not the worst runs of losing in modern baseball history the last few seasons, I don't know how much worse anybody has really seen, at least as far as MLB goes.

Yes, Peter is on top, but he has plenty of other bad owners in his range.

https://calltothepen...st-owners-2022/

Worse owner in MLB,  here is a list of some pretty bad ones, and they left two off,

https://www.espn.com...-in-mlb-history

You have to consider Marge Schott has maybe the worst owner in MLB. She was extremely racial person. MLB even banned her from baseball.

Bob Short, was a very bad owner of the Senators back in the late 60s, low pocket guy trying to play with the big boys, and was a total baboon.

#49 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 08:36 AM

Baltimore had Bob Irsay. I think we know what terrible ownership looks like.

I don’t know how anyone could argue after the past 20ish years that the devil you know is better than the one you don’t. Current ownership is certainly near the bottom of the league. It could be worse sure, but odds are it could be better. Especially if the allegations in this lawsuit are remotely true.
  • Mike B likes this

#50 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 09:22 AM

In my baseball dream world, The Orioles move to who cares where, and MLB allows the Rays to move into Baltimore. Boom, instant contender that now has a great venue and increased revenue. Imagine a world where the Rays impact pitching assembly line has the money to keep those arms and add any necessary offense.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Let them move. Good riddance.

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2022 - 09:36 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing. Let them move. Good riddance.

Be careful what you wish for!  MLB and Manfred are in bed with the Nationals.and if the Orioles moved, I think it could be the end of MLB in Baltimore.

The idea that Tampa would move here feels like a fan's fantasy to me.

@mikeghg

#52 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 09:55 AM

Be careful what you wish for!  MLB and Manfred are in bed with the Nationals.and if the Orioles moved, I think it could be the end of MLB in Baltimore.

The idea that Tampa would move here feels like a fan's fantasy to me.

The alternative is another 30 years of the Angelos family. I'll take my chances. What good does it do any of us to have an imitation MLB team in Baltimore? 

#53 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 10:04 AM

The alternative is another 30 years of the Angelos family. I'll take my chances. What good does it do any of us to have an imitation MLB team in Baltimore? 

Exactly.

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 10:05 AM

The Orioles aren't moving. 0.0% chance despite the Angelos Family drama. 

• DuffMan likes this

#55 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,821 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 10:13 AM

There is obviously a non zero chance they move

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2022 - 10:15 AM

Agree to disagree then.  I don't like the chances of getting another team.

FWIW, they are not going anywhere.   That is the good news, the bad news is for the short term, they will be owned by the Angelos family.

@mikeghg

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2022 - 10:15 AM

There is obviously a non zero chance they move

IMO, it is very low chance they move

@mikeghg

#58 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,388 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2022 - 10:17 AM

Yes, Peter is on top, but he has plenty of other bad owners in his range.

https://calltothepen...st-owners-2022/

Worse owner in MLB,  here is a list of some pretty bad ones, and they left two off,

https://www.espn.com...-in-mlb-history

You have to consider Marge Schott has maybe the worst owner in MLB. She was extremely racial person. MLB even banned her from baseball.

Bob Short, was a very bad owner of the Senators back in the late 60s, low pocket guy trying to play with the big boys, and was a total baboon.

Schott was an awful human being. And yet she still had something Pete never will; a World Series.

#59 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 10:35 AM

I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that they haven't really been that interested in adding payroll, or winning.

This will continue indefinitely until they are out of the Angelo's family.

#60 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 10:39 AM

Agree to disagree then.  I don't like the chances of getting another team.

FWIW, they are not going anywhere.   That is the good news, the bad news is for the short term, they will be owned by the Angelos family.

I don't think they're going anywhere either. But a fella can dream, can't he? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=