Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles altering Camden Yards’ left-field dimensions amid ballpark’s historic home run binge

• Please log in to reply
953 replies to this topic

#881 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:54 AM

Trey joins in on the bitching. IM sure no RH hitter is going to be happy about it. Deal with it. The ballpark was 100% too homer friendly. If they need to reign it back in they can do that at some point in the future. You haven't even played 2 months of baseball. The balls are going to start flying so we will see how things look at the end of the year.

• jamesdean likes this

#882 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:56 PM

And in other news. 14.5 games out on May 19th. The wall is working. :roll:

#883 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:21 PM

Trey joins in on the bitching. IM sure no RH hitter is going to be happy about it. Deal with it. The ballpark was 100% too homer friendly. If they need to reign it back in they can do that at some point in the future. You haven't even played 2 months of baseball. The balls are going to start flying so we will see how things look at the end of the year.

I was more irritated by what Mancini said as opposed to Judge. So, in other words Trey, I guess you enjoyed watching your wretched pitching staff give up homeruns by the truck load enroute to 100+ losses every year. Sounds like a loser mentality to me.
  • CantonJester likes this

#884 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:22 PM

And in other news. 14.5 games out on May 19th. The wall is working. :roll:

Keep an eye on that ERA!!

#885 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:26 PM

I was more irritated by what Mancini said as opposed to Judge. So, in other words Trey, I guess you enjoyed watching your wretched pitching staff give up homeruns by the truck load enroute to 100+ losses every year. Sounds like a loser mentality to me.

As someone who is set to hit unrestricted free agency after the season, I understand his perspective. I really couldn't care less about the whining from visiting players, since they play such a small percentage of their games there. But for the RH O's hitters, especially those nearing arbitration/free agency, it could end up costing them money.

• Chris B and bmore_ken like this

#886 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 09:01 PM

While the major league product is still not a priority of this front office, years from now when maybe it is, I hope they will have acquired a lineup full of lefties. That’s how you make this a true home field advantage.

I wanted an extension for Mancini last year. At this point he should be as good as gone, and has nothing to do with any comment he made about the park. Simply a lineup construction move. Mountcastle, Hays, might as well trade them too while you can get much higher prospects given his years of control left.
@BSLMikeRandall

#887 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 06:02 AM

While the major league product is still not a priority of this front office, years from now when maybe it is, I hope they will have acquired a lineup full of lefties. That’s how you make this a true home field advantage.

I wanted an extension for Mancini last year. At this point he should be as good as gone, and has nothing to do with any comment he made about the park. Simply a lineup construction move. Mountcastle, Hays, might as well trade them too while you can get much higher prospects given his years of control left.

Because of the wall? No.

The wall might cost them homers, but overall production / value will remain.
  • CantonJester likes this

#888 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 02:17 PM

In the last five years, Yankee Stadium gave up more homeruns than any place not named Camden Yards. That's mainly my what we were talking about.

Given the fact the Yankees have hit 57% of all HR hit at YSIII since 2017 (through last night anyway), I'd say lineup construction has as much to do with YS HR totals as does park dimensions. 

bb-ref - 628 of 1110 HR hit. 

YSIII HR allowed, ranked (according to baseball-reference.com):

2022 - 8th

2021 - 6th

2020 - 1st

2019 - 5th

2018 - 1st

2017 - 3rd

#889 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 May 2022 - 02:31 PM

As someone who is set to hit unrestricted free agency after the season, I understand his perspective. I really couldn't care less about the whining from visiting players, since they play such a small percentage of their games there. But for the RH O's hitters, especially those nearing arbitration/free agency, it could end up costing them money.

I doubt it will affect the offers he gets as a FA. Like Coors Field, and Great American Ballpark, GMs know the degree to which a player's numbers are affected by their home field. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#890 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 02:34 PM

Considering the fact teams evaluate heat maps / spray charts of not only launch angles and how hard balls get hit, but also where they land, the new LF dimensions aren't going to cost Trey Mancini any money. 

• weird-O likes this

#891 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 11:07 PM

Keep an eye on that ERA!!

My eye is on the loss column.

#892 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 08:59 AM

Numbers starting to level out after a crazy low beginning to the year in terms of scoring at home.

160 total runs in 21 home games = 7.62 runs/game

150 total runs in 19 road games = 7.89 runs/game

97 park factor for runs

Still below the longer-term park factor before the change.  Will be interesting to see what, if any, difference is made over a longer stretch.

• bmore_ken likes this

#893 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 10:14 AM

So far, their ERA is 2.89 at home. It won't stay that low for 81 games but its hard not think the wall has already made a difference.

#894 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 10:37 AM

Ruiz has been tracking things a little bit. On Thursday he tweeted:

After Anthony Santander's walk-off homer, the latest on Camden Yards' left-field wall:

-Orioles' home runs: five

-Visitor home runs: one

-Orioles' lost homers: eight (two doubles, five flyouts, one sac fly)

-Visitor lost homers: eight (one single, three doubles, four flyouts)

And on May 9th he tweeted, in response to a question about more singles in front of the LF:

Obviously lots of other factors and a huge gap in sample size, but on balls hit toward left field at Camden Yards with a projected distance between 200 and 300 feet:

2019-21: Hitters went 328-for-668 (.491, with none of the years above .505)

2022: Hitters are 27-for-43 (.628)

• Mackus likes this

#895 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 May 2022 - 02:34 PM

Sat in row 2 behind the LF wall last night (thanks Seth), I like it better from a fan experience perspective. It is more cozy. Great atmosphere when everyone is into it, as they were last night.

#896 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 02:37 PM

After Anthony Santander's walk-off homer, the latest on Camden Yards' left-field wall:

And on May 9th he tweeted, in response to a question about more singles in front of the LF:

Obviously lots of other factors and a huge gap in sample size, but on balls hit toward left field at Camden Yards with a projected distance between 200 and 300 feet:

The wall makes how the game is played here more interesting. The crybaby hitters that want little league HRs can shut their mouths.
  • BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and jamesdean like this

#897 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:21 PM

So this is exactly what I described a couple dozen pages back in this thread. 

We'll see what the overall consequences are over time.  The oddly low run environment early this year will cause some early anomaly and that's fine, but it's still going to take years to even get a reasonable take on consequences.

We do know one thing, both teams are playing with the same wall.

One thing seems for sure, while some tried to promote this as an enticement for FA pitching, given the somewhat public negative narratives coming from RHed hitters, you've likely scared away any of them you might have been interested in.  I think that's actually zero consequence because I don't think they were going after anyway, but it will be easier to act interested and have them find a smaller pasture.

#898 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:33 PM

Negative narratives from rh hitters will scare off FA pitchers?

#899 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:57 PM

Sat in row 2 behind the LF wall last night (thanks Seth), I like it better from a fan experience perspective. It is more cozy. Great atmosphere when everyone is into it, as they were last night.

I also sat in row 2 behind the wall last night and I felt the legroom was very cramped and that's not something Kelly and I complain about much as people with shorter legs. I don't recall this ever being an issue at OPACY before. Maybe my section was worse than others? We were in section 76.

#900 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 May 2022 - 12:25 AM

Negative narratives from rh hitters will scare off FA pitchers?

No.  They aren't signing significant FA pitchers.  They may sign the types they have signed (Ubaldo, Chen, Cobb, Lyles), but they signed them regardless of the LF wall.

This will not be the place for RHed hitters to sign.  Not even the big names, but any names.

I doubt they are signing ANY significant FAs, so wall or no wall, that will still be the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=