Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles altering Camden Yards’ left-field dimensions amid ballpark’s historic home run binge

• Please log in to reply
953 replies to this topic

#781 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:23 PM

Would someone piss in Cerrano's cereal already. 

#782 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:37 PM

Would someone piss in Cerrano's cereal already.

Jokes on you! I only eat one meal a day! Intermittent fasting

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#783 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:37 PM

Cmon guys. Ignore button works better than being mean

(Again not being glib here)

You’re right. I’ve never done it, can you do it on mobile, and if so, how?

#784 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:38 PM

You’re right. I’ve never done it, can you do it on mobile, and if so, how?

Dunno.

@bopper33

#785 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:38 PM

Dunno.

That was a test to see if I was on ignore. Sweet.

#786 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:39 PM

That isnt torture? Good luck with it though

#787 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:42 PM

That isnt torture? Good luck with it though

Ain’t fun. But I never really had an appetite for early in the morning. Sorta get used to it. I’ve dropped 30+ without cutting back on booze at all. Wonder what quitting drinking would do for me. Prolly a lot.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

@bopper33

#788 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:44 PM

Ain’t fun. But I never really had an appetite for early in the morning. Sorta get used to it. I’ve dropped 30+ without cutting back on booze at all. Wonder what quitting drinking would do for me. Prolly a lot.

That’s awesome. I’m about to start. Using the Zero app.

#789 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:56 PM

Good for you man.

During my moving process I haven’t stepped on a scale since December. We just got into our new home so haven’t gotten to that box yet. I wonder if it’s like Schrödinger’s cat. Until I step on that scale, I’ve neither lost, nor gained weight. Maybe I’m down 20, maybe up 20. Who knows?
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#790 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 09:03 PM

Good for you man.

During my moving process I haven’t stepped on a scale since December. We just got into our new home so haven’t gotten to that box yet. I wonder if it’s like Schrödinger’s cat. Until I step on that scale, I’ve neither lost, nor gained weight. Maybe I’m down 20, maybe up 20. Who knows?

Not sure if you can tell by how your clothes fit but I can. Especially as a lawyer when I have to wear suits.

@bopper33

#791 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 23 March 2022 - 09:38 PM

Can't be two meals if you never stop eating.

200.gif

@fuzydunlop

#792 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:11 PM

Not sure if you can tell by how your clothes fit but I can. Especially as a lawyer when I have to wear suits.

Yeah, I’ve actually been able to tighten my belt to the next loop. So I’ve lost some amount.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#793 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 March 2022 - 11:28 PM

Damn. This is crazy. I’m just glad you’re not a Ravens or Terps fan so a large portion of the board goes untouched by this complete nonsense.

Complete nonsense?  It's the reasons they've given for the wall.  I didn't make them up.

#794 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 06:53 AM

Wonky is the word I've used.  If an 8th grade class drew lines on the stadium for a "new wall", this would be the last design likely picked.  You are limited to the Stadium....it's not like they could have drawn it in outer space.

We still only have 3 reasons.

1) A more neutral HR-rate.  So (what some would like you to believe is) the most analytically driven FO in MLB is focused on the numbers on the back of a pre-2010 baseball card. Yup.

2) FA pitching.  This was actually a tacit agreement (sort of) from Elias during the Q&A portion of his only organized engagement on the Wall (total of 25 min, following his 2:15 intro.)  The Wall dimensions were anointed as the reason the Orioles couldn't sign FA pitchers.  It has nothing to do with the notion that they didn't want to sign them.

3) More competitive team.  As has been pointed out, I guess the Orioles didn't actually say this, but their advocates have presented this as a (the?) reason in the absence of the actual Orioles, since coverage has been pretty thin. 

You've added your slant to what was said. 

1) They want a park that is closer to HR neutral.  For some reason, that strikes you as odd. (Also you've characterized them as the most analytical FO in the game... which might be true if this was 2002, but basically every team operates the same.)

2) The wall was not anointed as the reason they couldn't sign FA pitchers. What was said was basically, "In subsequent years, we will be looking to FA to augment what we have built. When we do that, we want the park to be HR neutral to better appeal to pitchers."  You will not find a statement from Elias anywhere that said the wall was THE reason they couldn't sign FA pitching.  And obviously Elias knows the primary determinant in any deal will be $.

3) Right.. the Orioles did not say the wall would make them more competitive.  And frankly, neither have the proponents of the wall. It's been discussed ad nauseum that just because the park might become HR neutral, that doesn't mean that there necessarily will be a corresponding drop in runs allowed.  The closest you've probably seen to believing the wall could make them more competitive, is the idea that your pitchers might be less afraid, and help them as much mentally as physically. 

#795 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 07:02 AM

1) They want a park that is closer to HR neutral. For some reason, that strikes you as odd. (Also you've characterized them as the most analytical FO in the game... which might be true if this was 2002, but basically every team operates the same.)

2) The wall was not anointed as the reason they couldn't sign FA pitchers. What was said was basically, "In subsequent years, we will be looking to FA to augment what we have built. When we do that, we want the park to be HR neutral to better appeal to pitchers." You will not find a statement from Elias anywhere that said the wall was THE reason they couldn't sign FA pitching. And obviously Elias knows the primary determinant in any deal will be $.

3) Right.. the Orioles did not say the wall would make them more competitive. And frankly, neither have the proponents of the wall. It's been discussed ad nauseum that just because the park might become HR neutral, that doesn't mean that there necessarily will be a corresponding drop in runs allowed. The closest you've probably seen to believing the wall could make them more competitive, is the idea that your pitchers might be less afraid, and help them as much mentally as physically.

Tons of misinformation in that post. Thanks for clearing it up.

#796 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:40 AM

1) They want a park that is closer to HR neutral.  For some reason, that strikes you as odd. (Also you've characterized them as the most analytical FO in the game... which might be true if this was 2002, but basically every team operates the same.)

2) The wall was not anointed as the reason they couldn't sign FA pitchers. What was said was basically, "In subsequent years, we will be looking to FA to augment what we have built. When we do that, we want the park to be HR neutral to better appeal to pitchers."  You will not find a statement from Elias anywhere that said the wall was THE reason they couldn't sign FA pitching.  And obviously Elias knows the primary determinant in any deal will be $.

3) Right.. the Orioles did not say the wall would make them more competitive.  And frankly, neither have the proponents of the wall. It's been discussed ad nauseum that just because the park might become HR neutral, that doesn't mean that there necessarily will be a corresponding drop in runs allowed.  The closest you've probably seen to believing the wall could make them more competitive, is the idea that your pitchers might be less afraid, and help them as much mentally as physically. 

All good points.

I think the main thing the wall should accomplish is some peace of mind for the pitchers.  I have heard numerous interviews about how young pitcher were intimidated by pitching in Fenway Park.  It has been said that many left handed pitchers, threw like the wall was right behind shortstop.  I think the old wall at CY, must have done the same to our pitchers.  A routine fly ball winding up 3 rows deep, had to contribute to all the nibbling that we have seen through the years.  If the extra 20-30 feet allows them to relax and attack, the results should be better.

• jamesdean likes this
@mikeghg

#797 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 March 2022 - 10:44 AM

MLB.com breakdown: https://www.mlb.com/...-affect-hitters

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

she/her

#798 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 10:57 AM

Im assuming that vid at the top was from the presser Elias and Sig did awhile back. 10 sec in we hear that he's both excited and its a baseball ops decision. So why do we still have to deal with dude doing his thing.

#799 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 11:01 AM

Im assuming that vid at the top was from the presser Elias and Sig did awhile back. 10 sec in we hear that he's both excited and its a baseball op decision. So why do we have to deal with dude doing his thing.

Well, at least we haven't had any recent references to his brother. That always comes off sounding really strange to me.

#800 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 March 2022 - 08:40 PM

Im assuming that vid at the top was from the presser Elias and Sig did awhile back. 10 sec in we hear that he's both excited and its a baseball ops decision. So why do we still have to deal with dude doing his thing.

Of course he said that...what else was he going to say?  "Sorry guys, I have to sit here and defend this nonsense even though there's a bunch of things I'd rather be doing."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=