Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles altering Camden Yards’ left-field dimensions amid ballpark’s historic home run binge

• Please log in to reply
953 replies to this topic

#761 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 03:31 PM

Locking the Correa thread just pushes everyone back to the wall thread!  :)

Which is where we all belong! Its all we have, brother!!

#762 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 05:26 PM

Balt Sun: Orioles pitchers love the changes to Camden Yards’ left-field wall. Their hitters welcome the challenge.

#763 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 06:11 PM

Balt Sun: Orioles pitchers love the changes to Camden Yards’ left-field wall. Their hitters welcome the challenge.

They're really going to love it when they throw that first fly ball that the leftfielder back peddles on and settles under it for an out. The same ball that would have landed in the first couple of rows for yet another cheap homerun.

#764 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:40 PM

Things look a lot further along in this picture.

(1) Maury Brown on Twitter: "Orioles have made OPACY… different. https://t.co/JSKv2GQfu2" / Twitter

#765 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:50 PM

Things look a lot further along in this picture.

(1) Maury Brown on Twitter: "Orioles have made OPACY… different. https://t.co/JSKv2GQfu2" / Twitter

Very nice and thanks for posting the photo. I also like the quirky angles the new dimensions create.

#766 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:39 PM

Are those glass "windows" at the end of each stairwell?  Interesting.  

#767 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:42 PM

Very nice and thanks for posting the photo. I also like the quirky angles the new dimensions create.

Me too. It's different and interesting. Perhaps we can even gain a small advantage because our fielders will learn how to play those angles best. I reserve the right to change my opinion after The Stewart Corner takes its first victim.

#768 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:52 PM

I have a feeling the 90 deg corner might get angled off next offseason.  Feels like one of those design features like the brick wall along the edge of the OF stands that Mancini or someone slid into a few times that seems interesting on paper and in the mind of a designed but gets changed quickly after a few bad experiences in gameplay.

#769 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:36 AM

It just looks awkward. I don't know why they did it. Then again, I don't know why they do a lot of things.

@MikeFastNFL

#770 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:44 AM

Ahem.

I've decided that I'm going to refer to the 90 degree angle wall by the bullpen as Devereaux Corner.

Me too. It's different and interesting. Perhaps we can even gain a small advantage because our fielders will learn how to play those angles best. I reserve the right to change my opinion after The Stewart Corner takes its first victim.

#771 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:46 AM

It just looks awkward. I don't know why they did it. Then again, I don't know why they do a lot of things.

They did it because the stadium dimensions were like a softball field. Pitchers really had no chance, especially as bad as the Orioles staff has been over the years. You just can't have a chip shot right field and then come back with a 360ft. leftfield. I don't know who's brilliant idea that was but it was a joke. At least this TRIES to give the outfield balance and hopefully, will give the clueless pitchers on this team some semblance of fairness.

#772 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:59 AM

Quirky seems to fit the new wall.  I think it is going to take some getting used to.

@mikeghg

#773 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 01:45 PM

They did it because the stadium dimensions were like a softball field. Pitchers really had no chance, especially as bad as the Orioles staff has been over the years. You just can't have a chip shot right field and then come back with a 360ft. leftfield. I don't know who's brilliant idea that was but it was a joke. At least this TRIES to give the outfield balance and hopefully, will give the clueless pitchers on this team some semblance of fairness.

They moved the plate back in the early 2000's to make the field a little less hitter friendly, but then moved it back to its original location a year or two later. They said they moved it back to its original location because it affected the fans sight and batters eye. The offense took a nose dive the year it was moved back and the pitching didn't improve much.

#774 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 March 2022 - 07:44 PM

Wonky is the word I've used.  If an 8th grade class drew lines on the stadium for a "new wall", this would be the last design likely picked.  You are limited to the Stadium....it's not like they could have drawn it in outer space.

We still only have 3 reasons.

1) A more neutral HR-rate.  So (what some would like you to believe is) the most analytically driven FO in MLB is focused on the numbers on the back of a pre-2010 baseball card. Yup.

2) FA pitching.  This was actually a tacit agreement (sort of) from Elias during the Q&A portion of his only organized engagement on the Wall (total of 25 min, following his 2:15 intro.)  The Wall dimensions were anointed as the reason the Orioles couldn't sign FA pitchers.  It has nothing to do with the notion that they didn't want to sign them.

3) More competitive team.  As has been pointed out, I guess the Orioles didn't actually say this, but their advocates have presented this as a (the?) reason in the absence of the actual Orioles, since coverage has been pretty thin. 

#775 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2022 - 07:53 PM

Damn. This is crazy. I’m just glad you’re not a Ravens or Terps fan so a large portion of the board goes untouched by this complete nonsense.

#776 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 07:55 PM

Most analytical driven front office in MLB? I've never heard that claim before.

#777 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 07:58 PM

Damn. This is crazy. I’m just glad you’re not a Ravens or Terps fan so a large portion of the board goes untouched by this complete nonsense.

I wish he'd found his way to rooting for one of his hometown teams instead of the Os. Probably just circumstance but I find it interesting that neither he or Trea live, or as far as I know have ever lived, in the area.

#778 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:10 PM

I wish he'd found his way to rooting for one of his hometown teams instead of the Os. Probably just circumstance but I find it interesting that neither he or Trea live, or as far as I know have ever lived, in the area.

Do you think they are spawn of the businesses who had to pay out asbestos damages, trying to make diehard fans of Angelos’s team miserable?

#779 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:17 PM

Do you think they are spawn of the businesses who had to pay out asbestos damages, trying to make diehard fans of Angelos’s team miserable?

As if we aren't miserable enough under this ownership. Seems especially cruel

#780 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:19 PM

Cmon guys. Ignore button works better than being mean

(Again not being glib here)

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note