Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles altering Camden Yards’ left-field dimensions amid ballpark’s historic home run binge

• Please log in to reply
953 replies to this topic

#821 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 April 2022 - 08:20 PM

Trolling a troll isn't trolling, it's giving someone a taste of their own medicine. 

Nobody has refuted a single thing I've said.

Honestly, I don't care.  I didn't set out for the position I took, that's what the evidence (the things we know) take you.  I'm not invested in it either way.  You guys want to try and beat down the facts, cool. 

If you want to believe that Mike Elias isn't better than this, that's on you, not me.  We've seen what a "Mike Elias" effort looks like (Tal's Hill, DR Facility).  This wasn't it.  Nobody has asked him a question that resolves anything I've outlined.  Those questions don't even matter right now, except to you guys.

Being "excited" about it seems like about the dumbest thing.  We've been the WORST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL (not an exaggeration) since he's been here....when did "excitement" become a thing? 

There's less than 500 balls to LF in 2021 (it's a little hard to get exactly with the Savant splits)...if this impacts 40 balls, that would seem like a lot.  That's maybe a different outcome (either a non-HR or another ball that was an out finds grass, or a ball rolls further) every other or every third game.  Not sure how much excitement that adds to a 60-win team.

#822 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 April 2022 - 08:01 AM

Nobody has refuted a single thing I've said.

No one here needs to refute you, Jim Palmer did that for us. But feel free to keep on believing what you want to believe.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#823 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:49 AM

No one here needs to refute you, Jim Palmer did that for us. But feel free to keep on believing what you want to believe.

The ever winding, impenetrable maze of posts has reached the point where I have no clue what his original thought process was or is. I don't even know what I'm supposed to refute. Does anyone?
  • fishteacher and weird-O like this

#824 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 April 2022 - 05:25 PM

If you guys want to keep discussing this, that's fine with me.  You guys are way more invested in it than me.  

It was slide that made the Palmer comment, right?  I went back and looked for it here (I didn't see it, but I only re-read 12 pages then stopped).  You guys keep referencing the the Palmer thing.  

Is it possible Palmer was just referencing the Zoom call on Jan 14?....because the language that is being shared is basically the language of that Zoom call. ie....Palmer said the Mike Elias said on the Zoom call they started on it last summer.

I'm curious if anyone has actually watched the 14 JAN Zoom call.  Elias doesn't cover this stuff in his first 2:15 (still the only 2:15 not tied to a question, right?).  I'm going off my notes from weeks ago, I should probably go re-watch it.  The whole thing is about 25 minutes with Elias and Mejdal answering questions.  Steve Melewski asks the second question at 4:06. ...something along the lines of "how long have the plans been working" (something like that).  Elias gives something of a vague answer and transitions to the second part of his question.  Later, Gary Coleman at 9:36 (I think) asks something like "you really didn't answer the earlier question (re: timing)" .  Elias gives something like the "started to gain steam last summer" or something like that.  Again, pretty vague.

I didn't hear Palmer's comments, but I'd guess he was referring to Elias's response in the Zoom call around (around 10:00)

Nothing changes what wasn't done.  The design is half-baked (opinion).  The roll-out was half-assed and incompetent (fact).

It doesn't matter to me.  The wall is complete.  It will lower the HR-rate (which is irrelevant).  We don't know how it affects the Run-rate. The wall doesn't change the Home-Visitor HR ratios.  It doesn't make the Orioles more competitive.  It won't lead to FA pitching signings.  Bad teams aren't 'exciting'.

#825 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 05:31 PM

If you guys want to keep discussing this, that's fine with me. You guys are way more invested in it than me.

Fake news.

“You guys are more invested than me. Now here’s 20 pages where I’m breaking down to the second when anything of note was said by people in zoom calls and press conferences.”

This thread is 90% people engaging with your theories, and 10% actual interest in the project and speculation on the outcomes it provides. Basically, this thread is like 5 pages of you weren’t in it.
  • BaltBird 24 and fishteacher like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#826 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 06:38 PM

The fact that there's an ERA drop coming(according to some people) makes me excited. I'll keep checking the box scores.  :mrgreen:

#827 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 06:41 PM

.  The wall is complete.  It will lower the HR-rate (which is irrelevant).  We don't know how it affects the Run-rate. The wall doesn't change the Home-Visitor HR ratios.  It doesn't make the Orioles more competitive.  It won't lead to FA pitching signings.  Bad teams aren't 'exciting'.

Why do I feel so dirty when i agree with you? I need a shower  :mrgreen:

#828 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 06:58 PM

The fact that there's an ERA drop coming(according to some people) makes me excited. I'll keep checking the box scores.  :mrgreen:

Me too!(LOL) The wall is the ONLY thing keeping me conscious.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#829 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 April 2022 - 09:21 AM

If you guys want to keep discussing this, that's fine with me.  You guys are way more invested in it than me.  

It was slide that made the Palmer comment, right?  I went back and looked for it here (I didn't see it, but I only re-read 12 pages then stopped).  You guys keep referencing the the Palmer thing.  

Is it possible Palmer was just referencing the Zoom call on Jan 14?....because the language that is being shared is basically the language of that Zoom call. ie....Palmer said the Mike Elias said on the Zoom call they started on it last summer.

I'm curious if anyone has actually watched the 14 JAN Zoom call.  Elias doesn't cover this stuff in his first 2:15 (still the only 2:15 not tied to a question, right?).  I'm going off my notes from weeks ago, I should probably go re-watch it.  The whole thing is about 25 minutes with Elias and Mejdal answering questions.  Steve Melewski asks the second question at 4:06. ...something along the lines of "how long have the plans been working" (something like that).  Elias gives something of a vague answer and transitions to the second part of his question.  Later, Gary Coleman at 9:36 (I think) asks something like "you really didn't answer the earlier question (re: timing)" .  Elias gives something like the "started to gain steam last summer" or something like that.  Again, pretty vague.

I didn't hear Palmer's comments, but I'd guess he was referring to Elias's response in the Zoom call around (around 10:00)

Nothing changes what wasn't done.  The design is half-baked (opinion).  The roll-out was half-assed and incompetent (fact).

It doesn't matter to me.  The wall is complete.  It will lower the HR-rate (which is irrelevant).  We don't know how it affects the Run-rate. The wall doesn't change the Home-Visitor HR ratios.  It doesn't make the Orioles more competitive.  It won't lead to FA pitching signings.  Bad teams aren't 'exciting'.

The answer to your Palmer question is easily found. Do your own research.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#830 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 09:50 AM

Didn't they have one of the worst ERAs ever last year?  Seems like a drop is due.  :lol:

• fishteacher and bmore_ken like this

#831 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 02:14 PM

Didn't they have one of the worst ERAs ever last year? Seems like a drop is due. :lol:

Could anybody fathom how it could possibly go up???
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#832 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,562 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 02:18 PM

Could anybody fathom how it could possibly go up???

Harvey says hold my CDS.
  • fishteacher and bmore_ken like this

#833 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:21 PM

They only gave up two today....the wall is even working on the road!

#834 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,562 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:35 PM

At this rate, they shouldn't give up a single HR this year.

#835 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:58 PM

Only 2 runs allowed today. It's already working. :)

@BSLMikeRandall

#836 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,879 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 08 April 2022 - 07:27 PM

When one of our players gets injured running into that corner of the wall or hitting it from the side diving, we will see how great of an idea it was.  Maybe it was our way of lowering our attendance possibilities just a little bit so we can sell out more games!   :mrgreen:

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#837 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2022 - 09:30 PM

When one of our players gets injured running into that corner of the wall or hitting it from the side diving, we will see how great of an idea it was.  Maybe it was our way of lowering our attendance possibilities just a little bit so we can sell out more games!   :mrgreen:

A tarp from Home Depot would have been so much cheaper.

Hey, maybe I solved the mystery….the tarp was the Orioles initial proposal to MLB they knew would get turned down. Removing the seats altogether was the last-minute, sloppily-planned revision.

• bmore_ken likes this

#838 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 April 2022 - 01:52 PM

I say construction started the week before the Orioles announced it through a newspaper on a Friday after 5pm and nobody had a concept drawing.

I'd like to go back and correct something I've said a number of times.  This was not released on a Friday. 11 JAN was a Tuesday.  14 JAN was a Friday.  I apparently was looking at FEB on my phone, so that's my bad.  15 JAN (was a Saturday) is still the day after the 14th, so nothing has changed in that respect.

I have made maybe 2 or 4 comments referencing the announcement on a Friday after 5.  That is wrong.  I retract those comments/references.  I'm not going to go back and delete them, so they are there, but that is wrong and consider it cleaned up (if I run across them, I'll line them out but leave them there).  Doesn't really change anything else.  Still, say correct things.

#839 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 April 2022 - 01:59 PM

Kevin Lynch (SouthBaltimore.com) provided these pictures in this 'photo-tour' article a couple days ago.

• Mike B likes this

#840 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 02:31 PM

Kevin Lynch (SouthBaltimore.com) provided these pictures in this 'photo-tour' article a couple days ago.

You get a good reference point of the wall's height with the people next to it. The padding looks a little flimsy but the new angles are going to create some interesting moments before the players get used to the nuances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=