5723 replies to this topic

#961 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 09:15 AM

I have a feeling Lamar's price is going to be like the stock market this year.  Today he's had an MVP performance and his price is way up.  If he throws two picks and the Ravens lose in New England, people will be screaming to let him walk.  

That would be 6 TD vs 3picks. Actual fans of the game aren't screaming at that point. Those people screaming let him walk in that situation are the same people  screaming let him walk now at 6 TDS and 1 pick..

#962 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 09:21 AM

Relax a min. He was the MVP through Week 6 last year

He also threw 16 TDs despite missing 4 and half games.

#963 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 19 September 2022 - 11:45 AM

Price of the brick...

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#964 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 06:58 AM

I never said it was great playcalling, so please try not to mischaracterize my argument.

I've said that pointing to 59 passes or whatever is a lazy argument, and it is.  That was absolutely due to being in a huge deficit in the second half.  The run/pass split in the first half if very fair game, but its simply beneath you and everyone else here to just say "59 passes" or "9 RB runs" or whatever the numbers are as if that tells the entire story.

I've also said (previously moreso than this thread) that if you go back and look at the play-by-play, even in that time prior to the Jackson fumble in the early second half, there aren't a ton of opportunities where you could wisely argue that they should have run instead of pass.  Go find them, show me all the passing plays that you think we should have run instead.  There are some, a handful or so.  You can argue they should run on 2nd-and-10 some times, or that they never ever should throw on 1st down, for example.  But there are not many.

Here is the link.  Count the plays for me.  How many runs would you have called?

https://www.espn.com...ameId/401131041

There's a clip circulating where Justice Hill takes an off-tackle run to the sideline instead of cutting up along the numbers, inside his blockers. That isn't on Greg Roman or John Harbaugh. Believe it or not, a player doesn't always execute what the coach instructs them to do.

@MikeFastNFL

#965 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,483 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 September 2022 - 08:50 AM

I’m over my fear of giving one position that much of the cap. Sign him. They'd be absolutely awful without Lamar.
  • Mike in STL, bmore_ken and makoman like this

#966 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:54 AM

I’m over my fear of giving one position that much of the cap. Sign him. They'd be absolutely awful without Lamar.

I've been saying that for over a year now. 

#967 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:54 AM

As far as the offense goes financially, I'd be content if they focused on keeping Lamar and putting the 5 best OL the can gather in front of him. If that means RBs, WRs, and TEs change frequently and skill position players don't get second contracts here, so be it. It's a cap limited sport, can't have everything. Lamar and OL.

#968 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:55 AM

As far as the offense goes financially, I'd be content if they focused on keeping Lamar and putting the 5 best OL the can gather in front of him. If that means RBs, WRs, and TEs change frequently and skill position players don't get second contracts here, so be it. It's a cap limited sport, can't have everything. Lamar and OL.

Amen brother. Sign me up for that plan.

#969 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 12:01 PM

That would require them to be able to properly draft OL. Have you seen the results outside of Linderbaum? Awful.

#970 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 12:32 PM

That would require them to be able to properly draft OL. Have you seen the results outside of Linderbaum? Awful.

I thought the picks of Stanley and Brown were above average and they've drafted several over the years that were solid. It can be done but you need a lot of quality depth at those positions because of the ridiculous attrition rate in the sport now. That's where the challenge is for any team and the Ravens have not done a very good job in that department lately.
  • Mackus likes this

#971 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 01:16 PM

I've still got hope that Cleveland can produce. Powers isn't great, but he's not horrible, either. Tyre Phillips seems to be the one terrible example.

#972 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 01:18 PM

I've still got hope that Cleveland can produce. Powers isn't great, but he's not horrible, either. Tyre Phillips seems to be the one terrible example.

I feel like the only thing stopping Cleveland, is opportunity. Powers is a good pass blocker. He is absolutely horrid as a run blocker.

#973 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,828 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 01:19 PM

DeCosta has been the director of college scouting or higher starting in 2003.  Shortly after they drafted Ben Grubbs and Marshal Yanda in the same draft, he got a promotion to Director of Player Personnel and then quickly after that to Assistant GM.

Offensive Linemen drafted by his role:

Directory of College Scouting

Tony Pashos (5), Brian Rimpf (7), Adam Terry (2), Jason Brown (4), Chris Chester (2), Ben Grubbs (1), Marshal Yanda (3), Oniel Cousins (3), David Hale (4)

Director of Player Personnel

Michael Oher (1), Ramon Harewood (6), Jah Reid (3)

Assistant GM

Kelechi Osemele (2), Gino Gradkowski (4), Ricky Wagner (5), Ryan Jensen (6), John Urschel (5), Robert Myers (5), Ronnie Stanley (1), Alex Lewis (4), Nico Siragusa (4), Jermaine Eleumenor (5), Orlando Brown Jr (3), Greg Senat (6), Bradley Bozeman (6)

GM

Ben Powers (4), Tyre Phillips (3), Ben Brederson (4), Ben Cleveland (3), Tyler Lindebaum (1), Daniel Faalele (4), 

• You Play to Win the Game, Biggsy, Mike in STL and 1 other like this

#974 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 01:25 PM

I don’t know how far back counts, but since 2012 they’ve drafted (round)

K.O. (2nd)

Gradkowski (4th)

Wagner (5th)

Jensen (6th)

Urschel (5th)

Myers (5th)

Stanley (1st)

Lewis (4th)

Siragusa (4th)

Eluemunor (5th)

Brown (3rd)

Senat (6th)
Bozeman (6th)

Powers (4th)

Phillips (3rd)

Bredeson (4th)

Cleveland (3rd)

Linderbaum (1st)

Faalele (4th)

Plus notable undrafted:

Hurst

Mekari

Skura

To me, KO, Wagner, Jensen, Stanley, Brown, Bozeman were great picks. Hurst and Mekari were very good for UDFAs. Too early to tell for the last 3. Of the others, some have been ok, some forgettable.

So out of 16 picks (other than the last 3) you've got 6 very good picks. Doesn't seem great, but then consider that 12 of the 16 were 4th round or later. 4th round picks and later just don't hit that often, so I think the track record is decent. They are 3 for 4 in 3rd rounders and up, with Cleveland and Linderbaum still TBD. Plus throw in the UDFAs. Anyway, I wouldn't mind if they start using some higher picks on the line. 

• Mackus likes this

#975 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 05:17 PM

Since EDC has been the GM, his OL picks have been bad. I know everyone wants to give him credit for everything that happened when Ozzie was here, but that logic essentially means Ozzie had no role or usefulness. There is no chance Ozzie didn't have a good deal to do with who they selected, and since he's left, the results have been well below average.
  • hallas likes this

#976 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 05:35 PM

EDC was heavily involved, especially near the end of Ozzie’s tenure. Ozzie had the final say I’m sure, just as Ozzie is still involved but EDC has final say. But especially in 2018, an all world draft, Ozzie knew he was stepping down for EDC…I can’t believe EDC wouldn’t have had significant input on the team he was about to inherit. I’m happy to give EDC a lot of credit for 2018. Maybe I’m wrong, but no one knows.
  • Mackus likes this

#977 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 08:40 PM

Since EDC has been the GM, his OL picks have been bad. I know everyone wants to give him credit for everything that happened when Ozzie was here, but that logic essentially means Ozzie had no role or usefulness. There is no chance Ozzie didn't have a good deal to do with who they selected, and since he's left, the results have been well below average.

No one is saying that at all. Nice try though.
@BSLMikeRandall

#978 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 10:17 PM

No one is saying that at all. Nice try though.

Look, you can't have it both ways. If you want to give EDC credit for all the picks while Ozzie was here, and claim they should be on his resume just as much as his picks post Ozzie, than the obvious implication is that Ozzie wasn't that important. I don't believe that to be the case, and have noticed a decline in quality personnel taken in the middle rounds (particularly OL) since Ozzie left.

#979 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 10:17 PM

Makoman just proved this post to be BS

#980 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 10:19 PM

Makoman just proved this post to be BS

Uh...no he didn't.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users