#121 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 October 2022 - 05:51 PM

I'd love to have 5 Lyles. Underwhelming individually talent wise / run prevention wise.... but dependable, and regularly gave you a chance to win. If you had '5 of them', there would be a further collective value I think.

I liked Mackus plan. Pick up the option. Try and make two rotation upgrades. If you do, trade him.

I'd hate to have 5 Lyles.

Like let's just guarantee meh at best starting pitching for the regular season and also let's ride with that in the postseason? Umm no thanks
  • makoman likes this

#122 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:27 PM

I'd hate to have 5 Lyles.

Like let's just guarantee meh at best starting pitching for the regular season and also let's ride with that in the postseason? Umm no thanks

Yeah five 80- 90 ERA+ guys arent getting you where you want to go.

#123 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:30 PM

A lot of us have PTSD - 5 Lyles, lol. I mean, yeah, 1998-2011 and 2017-2021, sure. But I thought the goal here was to win a World Series.

Although I understand the point Stoner is making. But please, please aim higher.

And with all that said, a tip of the cap to Lyles. Did a great job for us this year, and is an excellent clubhouse guy. He’s better than his numbers indicate. When he stinks he stinks, but he strung together quite a lot of high quality outings for us. I respect him a lot. And mocked the signing mercilessly when it happened, so I was wrong.

#124 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:54 PM

I love how we tout our player development in the minors but disregard it at the pro level.

Disregard a league average guy who takes the ball every 5th day on a one year deal at your own peril.

It’s not your 10 million. Good grief

@fuzydunlop

#125 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:55 PM

10 mil on the payroll is nothing. So is 30 million. Get someone who is actually good.

Get both, Mr Pedantic 😉

@fuzydunlop

#126 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:57 PM

I love how we tout our player development in the minors but disregard it at the pro level.

Disregard a league average guy who takes the ball every 5th day on a one year deal at your own peril.

Where is this happening? I’d happily take Lyles back. Just not 5 of him.

#127 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:01 PM

Where is this happening? I’d happily take Lyles back. Just not 5 of him.

Everyone who wants to turn down his option. So not me and you

@fuzydunlop

#128 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:17 PM

Everyone who wants to turn down his option. So not me and you

I guess I was more getting at the PlDev at the MLB level thing, but that part must be over my head. I def think they did an amazing job this year. Many success stories, I don’t think that’s a fluke. I suppose to Weber’s point, couldn’t you argue that if that’s the case, you lean on that system and don’t need to retain a guy like Lyles? Picking knits, but just wondered what you meant by that.

#129 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:25 PM

I mean we get a durable arm who has good stuff but hasn’t had results, has a pretty decent year, and everyone wants to jettison that for peanuts.

I’m incredulous. Seriously.

@fuzydunlop

#130 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:29 PM

Lyles has had similar years. I dont think our coaches did anything special with him this year that make you think  the 91 OPS+ year he had this year can be expected again. Let alone jumping up to 100 or higher.  Ideally we find a coupe of #2s or a #2 and a #3. If we are going to shop in the 1 year smaller dollar market we can still look to do better than Lyles. If they pick up the option Im not gonna complain its just not what I would prefer.

#131 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:31 PM

If you believe in the player development then IMO you’d prefer the upside of Kremer, Bradish, Wells, GRod, Hall. And if you want someone more established try to find someone external who’s better than Lyles.

Sure, you can do a lot worse than 2021 Lyles. My fear is that’s his ceiling. His floor is like Bud Norris, going from fine one year to released mid year the next.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#132 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:42 PM

If you believe in the player development then IMO you’d prefer the upside of Kremer, Bradish, Wells, GRod, Hall. And if you want someone more established try to find someone external who’s better than Lyles.

Sure, you can do a lot worse than 2021 Lyles. My fear is that’s his ceiling. His floor is like Bud Norris, going from fine one year to released mid year the next.

I get a bird in the hand type approach. You can lock in 160+ innings of anywhere from passable to decent innings before the offseason even begins. That said, I  think you aim for higher and  if you strike out on some of your targets you can still find something similar to Lyles down the list. 

#133 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:53 PM

I get a bird in the hand type approach. You can lock in 160+ innings of anywhere from passable to decent innings before the offseason even begins. That said, I think you aim for higher and if you strike out on some of your targets you can still find something similar to Lyles down the list.

Or just pick up the option and the dump him if you do land two better SP. You get the bird in hand and get to go after the two in the bush.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#134 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:55 PM

Giving Lyles $10M will not prevent the O's from pursuing all the other SP they care to. Best case scenario. They go sign 3 starters better than Lyles and end up trading him. Damn that would be so awful.....lol

• Mackus likes this

#135 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:12 PM

Giving Lyles $10M will not prevent the O's from pursuing all the other SP they care to. Best case scenario. They go sign 3 starters better than Lyles and end up trading him. Damn that would be so awful.....lol

I'd be happy with just two :)

#136 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:58 PM

Again, this isn't logical.

I guess you want to keep saying Lyles is league average but that doesn't make it so.

Regardless, your point about player development makes as much sense as your comment that in short was we have a ton of money so let's spend some of it on a below average pitcher.

If there's a lot of confidence in player development, you don't spend a decent chunk of change on someone that's already been exposed to said player development and has been meh at best and that has little to no reason to see positive projection.

If you have confidence in the player development at the pro level, then you can get a 90ish ERA+ outcome from a rotation spot without spending 10 million on it.

#137 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:59 PM

Get both, Mr Pedantic 😉

Get 2 good starters. Why the losing mentality?

#138 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 09:13 PM

I'd be happy with just two :)

Yeah, 2 would easily push Lyles out of the picture.

I'd be good even with just one if they went big on upgrading elsewhere.

Regardless of however many starters one wants, the sights should be set higher than Lyles. He's not good.

There's an enormous difference between what they their projected 2023 payroll is compared to their payroll in 2016 for instance. Spend that money!

#139 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 12:26 AM

If Lyles is, say, your fourth-best starter, you're in good shape. If he's your No. 1 or No. 2, you're in something else.

#140 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,676 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 03:04 PM

Camden Chat: In Jordan Lyles, the Orioles got exactly what they paid for

https://www.camdench...son-review-2022

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=