https://www.espn.com...all-fame-voters

#102 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:01 PM

For me, Jones and Wagner beyond in the HOF, IMO.

My hatred of the Yankees clouds my judgment on Petite. He is borderline and he was lucky to be on some great teams, hence, his ring WS rings.

#103 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:37 PM

For me, Jones and Wagner beyond in the HOF, IMO.

My hatred of the Yankees clouds my judgment on Petite. He is borderline and he was lucky to be on some great teams, hence, his ring WS rings.

Pettitte's stats aren't especially impressive. He was a pretty consistent and reliable pitcher. Looking at his post season numbers, they're pretty much in line with his regular season career stats. So it wasn't like he turned into a stud lefty when October came around. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#104 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:48 PM

I would say Lester should get in, but if he does, then Pettitte probably should too, and I was going to say he shouldn't.

I really don't care anymore about the HOF since this era of baseball is becoming increasingly watered down in terms of what accomplishments make you an automatic lock: 300 wins, 3,000 K's, 3,000 hits, 500 HR, etc. They'll be harder to attain, so I've lost some interest trying to figure out what gets in these current players down the road.

200 wins? 2,500 K's? 2,500 hits? 400 HR?

Or is it all about WAR now?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#105 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:21 AM

While I never thought I was watching a Hall of Famer when I saw him play, I've really moved to the side of getting Bobby Abreu more support...He just clinched the 5% or more plateau to stay on the ballot next year. Anyway, just saw this on Twitter: 

Players with as many career Walks & Extra-Base Hits as Bobby Abreu (1,476 BB & 921 XBH): Barry Bonds Lou Gehrig* Chipper Jones* Mickey Mantle* Stan Musial* Mel Ott* Pete Rose Babe Ruth* Mike Schmidt* Frank Thomas* Jim Thome* Ted Williams* Carl Yastrzemski* *Hall of Fame

@beginthebegin71

#106 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:28 PM

Ryan Thibodaux@NotMrTibbs
Two hours left... at 199 ballots/~50.8% known:
Ortiz - 83.4%
Bonds - 77.4%
Clemens - 76.4%

Rolen - 70.4%
Schilling - 61.3%
Helton - 56.8%
Wagner - 51.3%
Jones - 48.7%
Sheffield - 48.2%
A-Rod - 38.7%
Ramírez - 36.2%
Kent- 32.2%
Sosa - 24.1%
Abreu - 11.1%
Rollins/Vizquel - 10.6%

#107 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:29 PM

Bonds and Clemens will drop below 75% once the non-public old school ballots are reflected, but Ortiz has a shot.

#108 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:00 PM

Ortiz is in the HOF.

https://www.espn.com...mens-miss-again
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#109 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:12 PM

Joke.
  • BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and Mike in STL like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#110 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:14 PM

At least they’re consistent in their standards, lol.

#111 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:31 PM

Glad I was wrong about this, i did want to see someone from this ballot make it. 

Bonds and Clemens will get in via one of these new committees for sure, i was just hoping they'd get in before then. 

I'm totally cool with Ortiz getting in, but him getting in on his first ballot, while Bonds & Clemens didn't get in in 10 just seems wrong.  

@beginthebegin71

#112 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 January 2022 - 09:02 PM

Glad I was wrong about this, i did want to see someone from this ballot make it. 

Bonds and Clemens will get in via one of these new committees for sure, i was just hoping they'd get in before then. 

I'm totally cool with Ortiz getting in, but him getting in on his first ballot, while Bonds & Clemens didn't get in in 10 just seems wrong.  

I think Ortiz got away with taking PED’s and benefitted by the media liking him.

I also think the writers showed a lot of consideration by honoring Shilling’s wishes. :-P

• CantonJester likes this
@mikeghg

#113 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 25 January 2022 - 09:10 PM

I think Ortiz got away with taking PED’s and benefitted by the media liking him.

I also think the writers showed a lot of consideration by honoring Shilling’s wishes. :-P

His personality clearly helped him get in so soon. I'm cool with it, just seems unfair compared to Bonds & Clemens, who obviously are, lets say, "prickly". 

I can't pretend I'm not thrilled that I'm likely to not have to think about Curt Schilling anymore. Sorry not sorry. 

@beginthebegin71

#114 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 11:39 PM

Whatever. Little to no respect for this whole process. From the BBWAA to the vet committee. Its beyond flawed. Every single person that has anything to do with these decisions should be embarrassed.
  • Mike in STL, CantonJester and Old Man like this

#115 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 06:30 AM

PEDs aren't acceptable for one of the greatest outfielders and one of the greatest pitchers, but they are for a DH who couldn't even play first base.  Terrible.

• russsnyder and CantonJester like this

#116 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:45 AM

I don't think the PED stuff should exclude anybody, I'd vote for all these guys.

But, I think there is markedly less stink on Ortiz than there is on Bonds and Clemens.  If your threshold for PED tolerance is very high like mine, then all should be in.  If your threshold is very low (any) then all should be out.  But I think someone reasonable could also have a threshold somewhere in the middle and have Ortiz pass it while the others fail. 

I guess to put it another way, I can see not holding the anonymous testing trials against Ortiz (and any others on that list we don't know about) while holding positive tests leading to suspension once the system was fully implemented against guys like Manny and ARod.  I'd put the level of knowledge we have about Bonds and Clemens' usage (and Sheffiled) on par with a failed test and suspension and more severe than being caught in the anonymous part and then having that not remain anonymous.  Isn't it plausible that Ortiz' positive on that test would've been overturned on appeal and we'd never have known about it if it was part of the real testing process?  We know certain initial positive results are overturned under the current system.

#117 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:55 AM

Ive already been through this so I wont beat a dead horse but it drives me crazy the inconsistency. How does Ortiz get in 1st ballot when guys like Bagwell and Piazza didnt because of suspicion. There was more smoke with Ortiz than those two. I honestly dont even think he is 1st ballot regardless of the PED stuff. He was a freaking DH.who put up considerably less WAR and had a lower OPS+ than Edgar.

• Mackus and CantonJester like this

#118 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:01 AM

He put up less WAR and a lower OPS+ than Dick Allen who cant get in through the damn vet committee!!! This stuff legit tilts me so hard. Not sure why but it does.

#119 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:22 AM

The Ringer: The Baseball Hall of Fame Closes the Book on Its Struggle With the Steroid Era

The Ringer: The Uniquely Confounding Career of Curt Schilling

#120 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:23 AM

Complete 2022 Hall of Fame voting results

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=