• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#81 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 December 2021 - 05:08 PM

That's interesting. I'd prefer not to rely on secret evidence, if it's important enough to change your vote it should be important enough to write an article about, as a journalist. Like McGwire's andro bottle. Then the guy has an opportunity to get his side of the story out there (I only tried it once! It was B12! or it's perfectly legal and allowed and here's why...) and everyone can then decide what they want to believe.

Of course if you (as the writer) never publicized it I suppose you could just not vote for the guy and not give out your reasons. The HOFer who deserves to be unanimous is so rare that any voter can pretty plausibly decline to vote for anybody without too much questioning about it.

Nope.  That's not a credible reason to withhold a vote, IMO.  It's public knowledge or it isn't.  Specifically to the example you give, that writer has no idea what's in the vials or if any of the contents ever made it into any player.  Could be insulin.  Could be B12.  Could be morphine.  Could be legal, could be illegal.  That's not information credible enough to be worthy of excluding someone from the HoF, IMO.

I appreciate the thoughtful replies. It was just something that popped into my head. The story I referenced was eventually written about, but the player wasn't called out by name. I like the pragmatic, benefit of the doubt reply about what could have been in the viles. In this case, the viles were PEDs.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:51 AM

FanGraphs: 

JAWS and the 2022 Hall of Fame Ballot: Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Curt Schilling, and Sammy Sosa

JAWS and the 2022 Hall of Fame Ballot: Jimmy Rollins

JAWS and the 2022 Hall of Fame Ballot: Omar Vizquel

JAWS and the 2022 Hall of Fame Ballot: Bobby Abreu

#83 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 10:14 AM

CBS Sports: Four reasons why Alex Rodriguez's Hall of Fame case is so complicated

https://www.cbssport...so-complicated/

#84 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 December 2021 - 11:17 AM

The steroid thing is not an issue for me personally, but I get that it is for some, and while I don't agree, I respect it. 

What I don't get, and likely never will, is how anyone can vote for Bonds, Clemens, and Papi, but not A Rod, which the most recent voter (Jay Cohen of the AP) just did. Doesn't make sense. It can't be the first ballot thing, as Ortiz is a first ballot guy too, Now I don't think of Ortiz as the same as I do Bonds, Clemens, and A Rod, but again, i realize some do. 

I know it's opinion, and that's fine, but it just doesn't make sense to me at all. David Ortiz' family doesn't think he was a better player than Alex Rodriguez, so what can possibly be holding this guy back from voting for A Rod, since clearly steroids aren't the issue. 

Circling back to this from last week, another voter who did the same thing explained that the reason he left A Rod (and Manny Ramirez) off was that they were suspended AFTER MLB implemented steroid rules. I still don't agree, and wouldn't do my ballot that way if I had one, but it at least makes sense to me now. 

@beginthebegin71

#85 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 01:13 PM

For me its you set a precedent with Clemens and Bonds and even a guy like Piazza who never was linked. If they have to wait multiple years then so does ARod.

#86 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 December 2021 - 01:16 PM

For me its you set a precedent with Clemens and Bonds and even a guy like Piazza who never was linked. If they have to wait multiple years then so does ARod.

Fair enough, that makes sense. 

@beginthebegin71

#87 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 01:34 PM

Fair enough, that makes sense.

Didnt both ARod and Manny pop multiole times as well. That bothers me too

#88 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 December 2021 - 02:25 PM

Didnt both ARod and Manny pop multiole times as well. That bothers me too

Manny did, i think A rod was just once, but later on he admitted past use. Not positive though. 

@beginthebegin71

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 11:20 AM

JAWS and the 2022 Hall of Fame Ballot: Jeff Kent and Manny Ramirez

JAWS and the 2022 Hall of Fame Ballot: Mark Teixeira

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 02:35 PM

CBS Sports: Breaking down David Ortiz's Hall of Fame case; will he make it in on his first ballot?

https://www.cbssport...s-first-ballot/

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:40 PM

CBS Sports: Baseball Hall of Fame ballot: How Todd Helton is deservedly making his way toward Cooperstown

https://www.cbssport...rd-cooperstown/

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:52 AM

FanGraphs: Jay Jaffe’s 2022 Hall of Fame Ballot

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 02:00 PM

CBS Sports: Baseball Hall of Fame ballot: Does Jeff Kent deserve a stronger Hall of Fame look?

https://www.cbssport...l-of-fame-look/

#94 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 January 2022 - 02:59 PM

Bonds

Clemens

ARod

Schilling

Manny

Rolen

Sheffield

Andruw 

Ortiz

Wagner

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 02:19 PM

Ballot #154 is from Dan Shaughnessy. For the second consecutive year, he submits a Kent-only ballot. He is the only voter from the Boston Globe to not vote for David Ortiz.

#96 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 04:03 PM

CBS Sports: Baseball Hall of Fame 2022: Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa make Matt Snyder's hypothetical ballot; A-Rod left out

https://www.cbssport...a-rod-left-out/

#97 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:42 PM

In what world does Sosa get in and ARod does not.  And I do not like either of them.

@mikeghg

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 08:35 AM

CBS Sports: Baseball Hall of Fame voting: David Ortiz will be close call; Bonds, Schilling, A-Rod likely to fall short

https://www.cbssport...-to-fall-short/

#99 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:28 AM

I'm still going to stick with no one getting in from this group this season. Papi will be painfully close, but I predict he falls just short, 73.5/74%.

@beginthebegin71

#100 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 07:20 AM

In what world does Ortiz get in but far better players like Bonds, Clemens and Arod do not.  Ortiz is at least as steroid tainted as Bonds and Clemens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=