#161 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 04:08 PM

Sad for Felix.

O's need to add a high leverage reliever this Winter.
Plenty of resources available to obtain. No reason to only go in-house.

Draft
Develop
Replenish
Rinse
Repeat

Have they not developed enough arms the last four years?
Is it time to trade Adley to replenish?
@BSLMikeRandall

#162 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 04:15 PM

Draft
Develop
Replenish
Rinse
Repeat

Have they not developed enough arms the last four years?
Is it time to trade Adley to replenish?

Mike, you really want to talk baseball given your consistent thoughts since Elias took over?

By design they haven't drafted many arms. 

They do have a system that's deep, and part of depth can be utilized to acquire. 

Or they can trade Hays and Santander for pieces. 

Not time yet to trade Adley,  I hope they do that after '25.
Do expect he'll be extended. 

#163 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 04:57 PM

Mike, you really want to talk baseball given your consistent thoughts since Elias took over?

By design they haven't drafted many arms.

They do have a system that's deep, and part of depth can be utilized to acquire.

Or they can trade Hays and Santander for pieces.

Not time yet to trade Adley, I hope they do that after '25.
Do expect he'll be extended.

Yes, I really do. Is that okay with you?

Sorry not sorry for my thoughts on things like losing on purpose. Giving up and telling the world they aren’t good enough when in a playoff race. Assuming people like us only look at the back of baseball cards.

I’m pleasantly surprised by the results this year. Credit where credit is due.

Do think that more trades for guys like Fuji and Cano will result in more Fujis and less Canos.

Winning isn’t easy. You seem to think that the DDRRR method is all you need. But now what we have isn’t enough. Shocking.
@BSLMikeRandall

#164 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 05:05 PM

Yes, I really do. Is that okay with you?

Sorry not sorry for my thoughts on things like losing on purpose. Giving up and telling the world they aren’t good enough when in a playoff race. Assuming people like us only look at the back of baseball cards.

I’m pleasantly surprised by the results this year. Credit where credit is due.

Do think that more trades for guys like Fuji and Cano will result in more Fujis and less Canos.

Winning isn’t easy. You seem to think that the DDRRR method is all you need. But now what we have isn’t enough. Shocking.

As I answered you yesterday... winning is not easy. 

And if you aren't spending as you could, you are operating with one hand tied. 

But if you are going to operate that way, it requires some moves people might not like. 

They can win with what they have, but they should have obtained a high leverage pen arm at this deadline before Felix was lost.
They didn't, that was a mistake, even if they win it all. 
Him being gone next year will be an issue.  I hope they address it. 

#165 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 05:32 PM

If they target one position in FA where they shop at the top or near the top of the market it has to be RP. I mean sure Id love them to be in on say Nola. That just is a total pipedream. Being in on Hader isnt quite as big a pipedream. Even if not in on say Hader they have to find a vet closer and likely 1 other BP arm through FA or trade. Guys you plan to plug immediately into high lev roles.

#166 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 05:36 PM

As I answered you yesterday... winning is not easy.

And if you aren't spending as you could, you are operating with one hand tied.

But if you are going to operate that way, it requires some moves people might not like.

They can win with what they have, but they should have obtained a high leverage pen arm at this deadline before Felix was lost.
They didn't, that was a mistake, even if they win it all.
Him being gone next year will be an issue. I hope they address it.

I agree with all of that. Except ownership should be taken to task for how they operate instead of given the passes you give them.

I’m under the impression that you think draft and development leads to replenishment and that’s good enough. Because that’s the way they are choosing to operate and that’s the pass you give them as business owners. If I’m missing something, misunderstanding, I apologize.
@BSLMikeRandall

#167 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 07:00 PM

Bautista named the unanimous AL Reliever of the Year.

Had he not blown out his elbow and finished the season strong, my guess is he would've garnered a bunch of CYA votes. 

• Mike B likes this

#168 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 10:34 AM

Orioles closer Félix Bautista’s follow-up surgery ‘not a routine thing,’ a doctor says

#169 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 10:57 AM

Was it his doctor who said this?

#170 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 11:10 AM

Was it his doctor who said this?

No. 

Dr. Matthew Best, a Johns Hopkins Hospital orthopedic surgeon and director of research for sports medicine, described the pair of symptoms Bautista experienced as ailments that each affect fewer than one in five Tommy John surgery recipients.

“Sometimes people can develop scar tissue in the area of the reconstructed ligament and if that’s around the ulnar nerve, or if there is an issue with the ulnar nerve at that time, then the transposition can be performed and the debridement can be performed at that time,” Best said. “It’s not a routine thing but it can happen in certain circumstances.”

• Mackus likes this

#171 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 11:12 AM

Meh, he said it feels better and every report says the timeline hasn’t changed so I don’t really care if it was routine.

ETA not intending to bash Chris for bringing it up, he’s just citing something after all. Just saying it doesn’t matter as long as it doesn’t change the timeline and chance of recovery.

#172 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 11:22 AM

Im assuming dominant Feliz is no more. Im sure hes gonna give it his best shot but he kinda was walking a fine line as it was. Dependant on the elite velo and just enough control. I have to think one, if not both, of the velo and control take hit.

#173 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 11:36 AM

I don’t see a need to assume anything at this point unless you are being pessimistic as a coping mechanism like slide. People come back the same or occasionally better from TJ all the time. People also don’t or are worse. Won’t know anything till it happens.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#174 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 February 2024 - 11:42 AM

Optimistic or pessimistic really doesn't matter at this point. What the team needs to be is realistic which to me means planning to find or develop a strong closer and not plan on having Felix back.

Then if he does return and is effective great! But you can't wait to see how he returns then go from there. You need a more proactive approach.

#175 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 11:47 AM

Optimistic or pessimistic really doesn't matter at this point. What the team needs to be is realistic which to me means planning to find or develop a strong closer and not plan on having Felix back.

Then if he does return and is effective great! But you can't wait to see how he returns then go from there. You need a more proactive approach.

Agree. Which is why I would've loved Hader. Right player right price. Missed opportunity.

#176 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 February 2024 - 12:02 PM

Its often times a major mistake you see in the business world and sports is no different. There are circumstances where a wait and see approach is a fine way to go. But it most cases proactive beats reactive.

#177 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 12:22 PM

I don’t see a need to assume anything at this point unless you are being pessimistic as a coping mechanism like slide. People come back the same or occasionally better from TJ all the time. People also don’t or are worse. Won’t know anything till it happens.

Very confident in my take. Assuming hes not going to be dominant should be common. Doesnt mean he still cant be an effective above avg RP.

#178 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 05:07 PM

Very confident in my take. Assuming hes not going to be dominant should be common. Doesnt mean he still cant be an effective above avg RP.

Why are you confident in your take? Power pitchers like Strasberg and Smoltz came back just fine. What are you basing your confidence on?

#179 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 05:12 PM

Why are you confident in your take? Power pitchers like Strasberg and Smoltz came back just fine. What are you basing your confidence on?

I laid it out already. So dependant on velo and and just enough control. Losing a few ticks in either category would be big. Not to mention we know he just had a 2nd procedure

#180 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 18 February 2024 - 05:59 PM

Its often times a major mistake you see in the business world and sports is no different. There are circumstances where a wait and see approach is a fine way to go. But it most cases proactive beats reactive.

It's one thing to take a wait and see approach when, if all breaks right you might win 80-83 games. But this is a 90+ win team. Wait and see with a first place roster is foolishness personified. It's not a panicky move to ...

Sorry, I was looking to replace Bradish with a FA arm or put a package together for Luzardo. Wrong thread. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=