188 replies to this topic

#141 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 12:02 AM

I think he's coming back. What that means. Who the hell knows.

#142 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 09:22 AM

I think they're giving themselves every opportunity for him to pitch in the postseason.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#143 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 11:49 AM

If Bautista doesn't pitch in a game this week I wouldn't put him on the playoff roster. Not worth the risk for him or the team.
  • Mike B likes this

#144 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 September 2023 - 11:55 AM

The issue is he would almost have to pitch for the Orioles which would mean a roster move.  Norfolk is in the playoffs so maybe they could have him pitch there.

I would be surprised if we see him.

@mikeghg

#145 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 11:58 AM

I don't think him appearing in a regular season game should be a requirement for adding him to a postseason roster.  I don't need to see him pitch against the Red Sox to know that he's a better option than Fuji in the ALDS if available.  You can still do whatever you'd accomplish in a rehab stint with simulated games.  I've been thinking ALCS as a more likely return date for him, 12 days from now still feels too soon even if he's been throwing bullpens.

His own personal health is absolutely a requirement, so I wouldn't push him back if its risky.  I have very few concerns of them rushing anyone back from injury, especially someone so important to the future as Felix.  But I've got no hesitation to add him from a performance risk standpoint.  If you add him and it doesn't look right after his first appearance, you IL him and can replace him on your roster.  Very little performance risk, since the alternative is rostering someone like Fuji or Baker or whoever.

• BobPhelan, DuffMan and makoman like this

#146 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 12:54 PM

I don't think him appearing in a regular season game should be a requirement for adding him to a postseason roster. I don't need to see him pitch against the Red Sox to know that he's a better option than Fuji in the ALDS if available. You can still do whatever you'd accomplish in a rehab stint with simulated games. I've been thinking ALCS as a more likely return date for him, 12 days from now still feels too soon even if he's been throwing bullpens.

His own personal health is absolutely a requirement, so I wouldn't push him back if its risky. I have very few concerns of them rushing anyone back from injury, especially someone so important to the future as Felix. But I've got no hesitation to add him from a performance risk standpoint. If you add him and it doesn't look right after his first appearance, you IL him and can replace him on your roster. Very little performance risk, since the alternative is rostering someone like Fuji or Baker or whoever.

Agree completely. Bullpens aren’t games obviously, but you can tell if he’s healthy enough to pitch in a bullpen, like if he can’t even hit 96 or something he’s not right. I still trust that they won’t risk the future for 4-8 innings, even the most important innings of the year.

#147 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 02:17 PM

Hyde said they want to see Bautista face some live hitters and that it's a long process. Whether that's in an actual game or some other capacity is not clear but the best case scenario would be getting him in a game this week.

#148 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 03:01 PM

Hes not pitching this week. Nor does that eliminate him from pitching in the playoffs. We already went over this
  • Mackus and DuffMan like this

#149 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 02:25 PM

Bautista is throwing in a simulated game today. He's getting close. Fingers crossed.

#150 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 02:56 PM

Jacob Calvin Meyer on X: "Félix Bautista is throwing a simulated game at Camden Yards. Brandon Hyde, Orioles pitching coaches, and several teammates, including Kyle Gibson, Danny Coulombe, DL Hall and Ryan Mountcastle, are watching from the side. https://t.co/R3GktGJS5k" / X (twitter.com)

Danielle Allentuck on X: "Félix Bautista is currently throwing a sim game https://t.co/l4vmgoBgCJ" / X (twitter.com)

#151 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 03:59 PM

The issue is he would almost have to pitch for the Orioles which would mean a roster move. Norfolk is in the playoffs so maybe they could have him pitch there.

I would be surprised if we see him.

I wouldn't. I really think they want to get him in a game before the season ends.

#152 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 September 2023 - 03:32 PM

Tommy John coming.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#153 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 03:38 PM

Bummer. If he's way ahead of schedule could possibly contribute at the end of 2024.

#154 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 03:42 PM

Sad for Felix. 

O's need to add a high leverage reliever this Winter. 
Plenty of resources available to obtain. No reason to only go in-house.

#155 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 03:46 PM

Sad for Felix.

I'll refrain from digging in until the offseason, but Lucy always pulls the football away.
  • weird-O likes this

#156 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 September 2023 - 03:46 PM

Sad for Felix. 

That goes for several needs.

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 03:57 PM

Will say that I expect Lopez to look much better next Spring and help. 
But even if the O's win the WS without Felix, I'll still think they should add someone real to get through a regular season.

#158 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 04:01 PM

Will say that I expect Lopez to look much better next Spring and help.
But even if the O's win the WS without Felix, I'll still think they should add someone real to get through a regular season.

They just DFA'd Lopez and will release him once he clears. Were gonna non-tender him anyways so no difference. Could still resign, likely will only take a minor league deal.

#159 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 04:02 PM

They just DFA'd Lopez and will release him once he clears. Were gonna non-tender him anyways so no difference. Could still resign, likely will only take a minor league deal.

Totally missed the DFA, but yeah, I'd expect him back.  He liked being here. They liked him. 

Work with him over the winter and ST, and he should be able to contribute. 

Or not.

Either way, add someone you have no doubt will contribute.

#160 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 04:05 PM

Finding high octane guys isn't all that hard nowadays. Go nuts in the rule 5 draft. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=