• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:10 AM

Stoner's plan to be the As is disgraceful to me. I want zero part of it. So we need to find new ownership. Its the only hope or I lose the sport I love. At least at the highest level I lose it

Apologies for living in reality.

#42 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,102 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:13 AM

That absolutely shouldnt be reality. Its Angelos ownership reality and I implore everyone to walk away from it instead of embracing it like you have.

#43 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:14 AM

The sooner the old man dies the better off we'll all be. Probably still take a couple of years to sort out the mess, though.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:17 AM

That absolutely shouldnt be reality. Its Angelos ownership reality and I implore everyone to walk away from it instead of embracing it like you have.

The O's can operate anyway they choose, and if they chase away their fans, that's also a reality they'll have to deal with.

You wanting things to be different, doesn't mean it is. 

I want to believe John would / will spend more money if things get settled... but I don't know that to be true.
Right now, its clear there are limitations on what they're willing to spend. 
If they are going to operate like that, it's going to force such moves.

#45 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:54 AM

Rays won 99 gams last year.  They moved Glasnow.
They'll win 90+ again this year. 

If you aren't going to spend any money, then you have to make these type of choices.

(Spending might go up whenever the ownership issues - Peter's death, does John maintain, or sell, etc.)

There are reasons to extend Adley - talent, face of the franchise, leadership, etc...   but you don't have to have him or anyone.

He also has to be willing to extend, or negotiate. 

The worst thing that could happen to the O's with him, is not losing him...  it would be losing him, and not getting talent back.  

No thank-you on another Manny deal, where you trade him in his last year of control.

If you trade Adley after '25, when he's got 2 years of control left, you should get a haul back.

If you happen to have a Top 10 overall prospect ready to replace him, even better. 

Glasnow? In 10 seasons he just hit his highest number of IP in a season at 120. You could say the Rays think he peaked. I'm talking about maybe the best player at their position at age 27-28 when you want to trade him.

Get real.

@BSLMikeRandall

#46 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:56 AM

The O's can operate anyway they choose...

Yeah yeah, we know. 

Why you trying to piss everyone off on a Friday! :) 

@BSLMikeRandall

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:01 PM

Glasnow? In 10 seasons he just hit his highest number of IP in a season at 120. You could say the Rays think he peaked. I'm talking about maybe the best player at their position at age 27-28 when you want to trade him.

Get real.

Glasnow has ace ability.  Could easily win a Cy.  But yeah, his inability to stay on the mound is a huge issue.

They extend Adley, fine by me. Not my first choice, but fine.
They trade Adley with at-least 2 years of control remaining, fine by me.

They trade Adley with less than 2 years of control left, or let him walk, that's what would tick me off. 

#48 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:10 PM

Tampa also signed Wander Franco to an 11-year extension.

Do you see Baltimore willing to take the initiative on something like that with Gunnar or Holliday?

#49 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:12 PM

Stoner's plan to be the As is disgraceful to me. I want zero part of it. So we need to find new ownership. Its the only hope or I lose the sport I love. At least at the highest level I lose it

Back to reality. You are the GM. You know that Adley won’t extend here. Do you ride out the 6 years and just offer the QA or do you do something like Chris is suggesting?

#50 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:16 PM

Back to reality. You are the GM. You know that Adley won’t extend here. Do you ride out the 6 years and just offer the QA or do you do something like Chris is suggesting?

If Adley has already told them he isn't signing an extension, that's a different story. We don't know that. Chris is just assuming you can trade Adley for more prospects and keep building championship caliber teams with a 27th or worse payroll, "rinse and repeat". 

@BSLMikeRandall

#51 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:20 PM

Do you see Baltimore willing to take the initiative on something like that with Gunnar or Holliday?

No. I don't. Thats why it's a fallacy to keep comparing the O's to the Rays. 

They are the A's until they do something like you suggest. Extend some homegrown talent. 

Another team JA wants to emulate is the Brewers. They extended the #2 prospect in baseball before he's played a major league inning. The Orioles will not follow suit and extend Holliday anytime soon (ever). 

The teams they want to emulate, they aren't emulating. They are acting like the A's. Thats it. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#52 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:24 PM

I'm fine with not extending Adley to a huge contract, by the way. He's great, but he's a bigger guy who catches and he's already under our control until he's 30.

I'm much more interested in Henderson, who I think will be a generational type player for us.

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:26 PM

They haven't ever done that....  but maybe?

https://www.baltimor...ckson-holliday/

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:28 PM

If Adley has already told them he isn't signing an extension, that's a different story. We don't know that. Chris is just assuming you can trade Adley for more prospects and keep building championship caliber teams with a 27th or worse payroll, "rinse and repeat". 

The only thing I know you can't do is lose your best talent for nothing. (Or said better, lose your best talent, without maximizing the return.)

#55 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:31 PM

No. I don't. Thats why it's a fallacy to keep comparing the O's to the Rays. 

They are the A's until they do something like you suggest. Extend some homegrown talent. 

Another team JA wants to emulate is the Brewers. They extended the #2 prospect in baseball before he's played a major league inning. The Orioles will not follow suit and extend Holliday anytime soon (ever). 

The teams they want to emulate, they aren't emulating. They are acting like the A's. Thats it. 

Acuna, Franco, Chourio. For whatever reasons, the Latin American players seem more willing to sign the long extensions at the beginning of their careers. Basallo.

#56 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,102 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:33 PM

Depends on where the Os are in '26 and '27. Certainly could come a point where Id say pull the trigger on trading him but I would expect to still be in a window of contention going into '26 and '27. Therefore Im not shopping him. Hes not off limits but hes not on any block. Totally fine riding out his 6 years if we are contenders both years

#57 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:33 PM

The only thing I know you can't do is lose your best talent for nothing. (Or said better, lose your best talent, without maximizing the return.)

Especially, when you have a Basallo ready to step into his shoes.

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,102 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:35 PM

But lets make it clear. This philosophy Stoner is embracing isnt about 1 player. He would trade nearly every high value asset a yr or more out from FA no matter our status as a contender. Thats criminal.

#59 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:36 PM

They haven't ever done that.... but maybe?

https://www.baltimor...ckson-holliday/

They’re barking up the wrong tree with the Boras clients. Sure, not impossible, but a lot harder. Should have extended Adley a couple years ago. Maybe he didn’t want to, but that’s harder to believe for a catcher.

#60 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:38 PM

Orioles always have the "Boras is his agent" excuse when it comes to not extending their young talent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=