203 replies to this topic

#81 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 06:39 PM

I just really hate the idea of him walking and getting nothing... and if you trade him with one year left, obviously you will get less than if you traded him with two. Of course you would also have one more year of him.

If Adley had two years left could you get Basallo, the prospect for him? More?

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 07:48 PM

If Adley had two years left could you get Basallo, the prospect for him? More?

Depends what his next two years look like, right?

#83 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 08:34 PM

. It’s like you completely missed the point. Comparing the 23/24 yo Stowers with alarming strikeout rates to the 18/19 yo Basallo with really good plate discipline? Wow!

Not really. Already calling the guy 3 years away Adleys replacement is ridiculous. Stowers was overdue to be in the majors, nothing left to prove at AAA, the guy to replace Mancini. He sucks. That’s how fast things can change.

Sure, Basallo. Is the 40th something prospect in baseball, Stowers wasn’t. Whatever. I seem to remember a guy named Yusniel Diaz who was also ranked as high or better. How did that go?

Basallo could very well be the next Babe Ruth. He could also be the next Yusniel Diaz.

Adley is a franchise guy. You extend him now, and live happily ever after. Basallo can play 1B when his time comes.
@BSLMikeRandall

#84 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 January 2024 - 08:38 PM

I've always been an advocate of two good catchers splitting time if a team can make it happen. Adley starting 102-112 games and Basallo starting 50-60 games at catcher with both getting time at DH/1B sounds great to me.
  • BobPhelan, Mackus and dude like this

#85 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:15 PM

Not really. Already calling the guy 3 years away Adleys replacement is ridiculous. Stowers was overdue to be in the majors, nothing left to prove at AAA, the guy to replace Mancini. He sucks. That’s how fast things can change.

Sure, Basallo. Is the 40th something prospect in baseball, Stowers wasn’t. Whatever. I seem to remember a guy named Yusniel Diaz who was also ranked as high or better. How did that go?

Basallo could very well be the next Babe Ruth. He could also be the next Yusniel Diaz.

Adley is a franchise guy. You extend him now, and live happily ever after. Basallo can play 1B when his time comes.

10th overall per BA.
13th overall per BP.

#86 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:17 PM

Depends what his next two years look like, right?

Assuming his next two years are very similar to his first two.

#87 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:20 PM

The whole conversation is based on not being able to extend Rutschman but you keep wanting to use that as an option.

#88 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:50 PM

The whole conversation is based on not being able to extend Rutschman but you keep wanting to use that as an option.

Actually if the O’s had a regular owner and it was a realistic option, Chris still wouldn’t do it. We’ve had that conversation elsewhere. Catcher not a prime position, 30 when he hits FA, body breaks down faster, have to move to 1B/DH full time one day, trade value higher if you trade him with team control left.

Extending him is the best option. Ownership be damned.
@BSLMikeRandall

#89 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:51 PM

10th overall per BA.
13th overall per BP.

Really? I don’t have those subscriptions. But okay. That’s a little different. Not kick Adley out different, but more like a good problem to have.
@BSLMikeRandall

#90 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:00 PM

Let’s be real please. If the Orioles are trading Adley in 2 years, what’s the reason? They are losing and need to re-stock, right? A team that is continuing to win divisions and be one of the best in the league is not trading their 27 y/o superstar. He and Basallo both may be on the MLB roster.

So if this is the option, trading Adley with team control left, accept the fact that the Orioles are losers at that point and that championship window is closed and the trade is a way to begin to reopen it. You don’t get it both ways.

Spare me the silly Glasnow comp. Adley is completely different in every way.
@BSLMikeRandall

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 08:19 AM

No, I envision the Orioles having an extended run with or without him.

I would rather trade him vs extend him.
If he's the MVP and the Orioles are coming off a WS title, that will still be my preference.

I think there is a decent chance he is extended, and it's fine if that happens. It's also fine to me if he's traded. You can win either way.

What would not be ideal is letting him walk and not maximizing his would be return.

Thinking the window would be closing because Adley could be traded is not something I agree with at all.

Mike, would you prefer a Blake Snell comp?
Had already won a Cy, still traded. (Return didn't pan out, TB's window didn't close.)

#92 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,387 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 January 2024 - 08:55 AM

I am with Chris.

I think extending Ruts (of course it depends on the numbers) is not my priority. I just don't think his run plays well as a C. And sure he can move to 1B/DH but then he isn't as valuable as he is as a C. Now factor that into the numbers then ok.

What I don't want to see is another Machado mistake. Look there are only 3 options.

1. Extend him.

2. Play him till his contract runs out.

3. Trade him.

Nobody wants to go with #2 so if you don't do #1 then you better do #3 earlier enough to get a good return.

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,071 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 09:07 AM

What I don't want to see is another Machado mistake. Look there are only 3 options.
1. Extend him.
2. Play him till his contract runs out.
3. Trade him.

Nobody wants to go with #2 so if you don't do #1 then you better do #3 earlier enough to get a good return.

Depending on the roster in 2026 and 2027 I'd be fine with #2. I want a ring. If a 6 WAR Adley helps the outlook of accomplishing that goal, then it's worth losing out on 3 top prospects after 2025 or 2 after 2026.

If Basallo sticks behind the plate and is a viable replacement, then that makes it a bit easier to deal him. We'll see what things look like in a couple years. Still strongly prefer an extension, but I don't think there is a deal that makes sense for Adley.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 09:09 AM

Depending on the roster in 2026 and 2027 I'd be fine with #2. I want a ring. If a 6 WAR Adley helps the outlook of accomplishing that goal, then it's worth losing out on 3 top prospects after 2025 or 2 after 2026.

If Basallo sticks behind the plate and is a viable replacement, then that makes it a bit easier to deal him. We'll see what things look like in a couple years. Still strongly prefer an extension, but I don't think there is a deal that makes sense for Adley.

So if the Orioles win a ring in 24, would you be less willing to let him play out his contract?

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,071 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 09:32 AM

So if the Orioles win a ring in 24, would you be less willing to let him play out his contract?

Don't think so. I'd want the next one. Main point is I'm willing to pay the long term price for incremental increases in present chances when the present chance is in the realm of being a realistic World Series contender (and Rutschman is way more than an incremental increase, IMO).

We're there now. I'd pay the long term price now to increase the 2024 odds. If we're still there in a few years, then I'd make the same decision then. If we fall off and aren't looking this good, that'd be the scenario in which I'm more likely to deal Adley. If management continues not adding over the next two years, that scenario becomes more likely.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#96 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 09:58 AM

Why do people think Adley’s lifespan as a catcher is extremely short?
@BSLMikeRandall

#97 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 January 2024 - 10:29 AM

How many WS titles does Tampa have? Playoffs are a crapshoot to a degree. But there also needs to be an intention to win a championship, not just “contend”. It’s a mentality. Crazy that people would be fine going through this window, however long it lasts, never ponying up to try just a little more to bring home the brass.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#98 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,623 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 January 2024 - 10:39 AM

Yeah the difference between Adley and Machado where I’m willing to let the former’s contract run out if he doesn’t sign an extension is that I think we’re going to be serious contenders for a World Series every season for the next bunch of years and I want the best shot possible at taking it home.

#99 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 10:42 AM

It would be interesting if the '26 season goes sideways a bit. Adley still performing and has 1.5 years left. You were contenders in '24 and '25. Expect to be again in '27. What do you decide to do at that deadline. It def would be a fluid situation. Hopefully, they shock us all(except Phelan I guess) and find a way to lock him up in the next year or so

#100 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 10:58 AM

It would be interesting if the '26 season goes sideways a bit. Adley still performing and has 1.5 years left. You were contenders in '24 and '25. Expect to be again in '27. What do you decide to do at that deadline. It def would be a fluid situation. Hopefully, they shock us all(except Phelan I guess) and find a way to lock him up in the next year or so

I've said previously, I do think there is a decent chance an extension happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=