199 replies to this topic

#21 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 10:13 AM

If I thought Mayo would stick at 3rd I could see him ahead of Basallo. Basallo is ahead of where Mayo was developmentally as a hitter and stands a better chance of catching at the ML level than Mayo does of playing 3B IMO. I’d have Basallo right behind Holliday.

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 10:22 AM

Hes also LH. Another slight edge over Mayo

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 September 2023 - 10:24 AM

Promoted to AA Bowie.

Damn that is quick.  We may see a couple of really young guys, make it to the majors next year.

Sammy fits a need.  I think if we are going to continue to have Adley DH 50 games or more a year, then we need a catcher on the team that can play a couple of spots and basically serve as the third catcher.  If Sammy can play 1B adequately and mayebe DH some, he would fit well with Adley and a backup catcher.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#24 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 September 2023 - 12:32 PM

If I thought Mayo would stick at 3rd I could see him ahead of Basallo. Basallo is ahead of where Mayo was developmentally as a hitter and stands a better chance of catching at the ML level than Mayo does of playing 3B IMO. I’d have Basallo right behind Holliday.

See I think Mayo can stick at third base now and he’s already performing in AAA so he gets the edge for me. But your argument certainly makes sense. Exciting stuff.
  • Mike B likes this

#25 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:05 AM

Law on Basallo:

• The one prospect of note in Bowie’s lineup was Samuel Basallo, who was just promoted to Double A for this final series. He was the designated hitter on Tuesday night, so I didn’t get a look at his receiving, but I did see several of his at-bats and can offer two observations: He is very strong, and he swings very hard. Basallo went 1 for 4 with an infield single in the game, but lined out hard to left field and swung and missed just once, on a slider out of the zone. He’s pretty short to the ball, so he can cover the plate well, and I’d be shocked if he didn’t end up a 25-homer guy in the majors with this bat speed and 20 homers this year across three levels.

Law’s minor-league scouting: Red Sox got a steal with Roman Anthony’s beautiful swing - The Athletic

#26 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:34 AM

I've never seen Basallo play live, but I'd say 25-homer would be on the lower end of expectations.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:43 AM

I've never seen Basallo play live, but I'd say 25-homer would be on the lower end of expectations.

Sure, but "shocked if he doesn't get there" translates into an exceptionally high floor.

Also, only about 50-60 guys hit 25 homers each year.  53 guys have 23+ so far this year and are on pace to get to 25.  41, 62, 59 on pace, 68, and 40 guys the past 5 years .  So that's still pretty lofty company.

• BobPhelan and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:50 AM

It’s been a lot of fun reading all the updates on this guy this year. Nice find.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#29 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:53 AM

Sure, but "shocked if he doesn't get there" translates into an exceptionally high floor.

Also, only about 50-60 guys hit 25 homers each year. 53 guys have 23+ so far this year and are on pace to get to 25. 41, 62, 59 on pace, 68, and 40 guys the past 5 years . So that's still pretty lofty company.

40-homer potential or bust. But yeah, another 25-homer guy in the lineup would be nice.

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 10:41 AM

Hes still so young. Id say its tough to know where he settles in as far as game power. Just like its hard to know where Holliday can settle in with game power. Even Gunnar to some degree. Though Gunnar looks like he is pretty mature physically now.

#31 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 September 2023 - 06:55 PM

A/A+/AA

.313/.402/.551 (.953), 75 R, 26 doubles, 7 triples, 20 HR, 86 RBI, 61 BB, 12 SB, 419 AB

162 wRC+, 12.6% BB rate, 19.5% K rate, .239 ISO

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:31 AM

Nice read from Melewski.

https://www.masnspor...s-extend-streak

I like the idea of having Sammy playing another position (1B), while still catching.  If the Orioles are going to use Adley as a DH, it is a real plus to have a 3rd catcher option on the 26 man.  Especially one that may hit like it looks like Basallo will do.

@mikeghg

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:33 AM

2024 AA

2025 AAA

2026 O's catcher, with Adley traded after the '25 season.

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:36 AM

2024 AA

2025 AAA

Troll.

Sadly you're probably right. The O's will be off loading talent after missing their small championship window like in 2018. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:50 AM

Troll.

Sadly you're probably right. The O's will be off loading talent after missing their small championship window like in 2018. 

Or they'll be extending their window. 

#36 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:57 AM

Or they'll be extending their window. 

The way the A's operate, by trading away their best players all the time, some of them with team control left? Thats a great model to follow.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#37 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:04 AM

Troll.

If they can continue to draft and develop the way that they have (which may be easier said than done who knows), they should consistently have some sort of window. Like 2012-16 opportunities, sometimes being very good, sometimes just ok and missing out, but at the start of the year you have a chance.

The window will never be as open as it could be if they refuse to ever spend any money though. There will always be “what could have been” type thoughts if you refuse to acquire more talent.

#38 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:05 AM

2024 AA
2025 AAA

I'd be shocked if he spends two full seasons in the minors.

He'll probably split this year between AA/AAA if the results are there.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:07 AM

The way the A's operate, by trading away their best players all the time, some of them with team control left? Thats a great model to follow.

Rays won 99 gams last year.  They moved Glasnow.
They'll win 90+ again this year. 

If you aren't going to spend any money, then you have to make these type of choices.

(Spending might go up whenever the ownership issues - Peter's death, does John maintain, or sell, etc.)

There are reasons to extend Adley - talent, face of the franchise, leadership, etc...   but you don't have to have him or anyone.

He also has to be willing to extend, or negotiate. 

The worst thing that could happen to the O's with him, is not losing him...  it would be losing him, and not getting talent back.  

No thank-you on another Manny deal, where you trade him in his last year of control.

If you trade Adley after '25, when he's got 2 years of control left, you should get a haul back.

If you happen to have a Top 10 overall prospect ready to replace him, even better. 

• RichardZ likes this

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:08 AM

Stoner's plan to be the As is disgraceful to me. I want zero part of it. So we need to find new ownership. Its the only hope or I lose the sport I love. At least at the highest level I lose it
  • You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=