119 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 02:05 PM

PA are a better gauge than AB for Vavra in particular as someone who walks a lot.  He got 184 PA at AA last year and 110 at AAA so far this year.  I'm a bit confounded by his slash line this year.  His ISO has plummeted to what would probably be an unsustainable level if its legit and his K-rate has dropped quite a bit.  His AVG is up a lot, but his BABIP is nearly 400 so don't know if its just lucky or if he's attempted some change to his swing to maximize contact and singles at the expense of power.  Probably just a quirk of a small sample. 

I'd be fine with him coming up as soon as right now.  Also ok if they keep him down for another 100 or so PA and then bring him up in mid- to late-July.  He's 25 years old, don't really need to play it slow. 

#42 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 02:20 PM

I'm also fine with him coming up or staying down for a bit. I can't imagine anyone would actually give up anything of value for Odor?

Vavra is still the at the prospect level where if he's coming up I want him to play, if not then let him play every day at AAA. Not sure where that line is (for example I've always been fine with McKenna not playing every day, and I'd absolutely want Westburg/Stowers/Gunnar playing every day if they came up) but Vavra is probably close to it.

• Mackus likes this

#43 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 02:20 PM

They arent slow playing anything with Vavra. Just needs to stay healthy and get into a rhythm 

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 02:27 PM

They arent slow playing anything with Vavra. Just needs to stay healthy and get into a rhythm 

He's a 25 y/o who isn't in the majors, so its slow.  There are rational reasons for him still being in the minors, some of which were completely outside everyone's control.  But its still slow.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#45 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 03:00 PM

Im saying they arent slow playing his service time in any way. He is still in the minors because he hasnt been healthy enough the last few years and doesnt have the reps

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 03:05 PM

Agree they aren't manipulating his service.  

#47 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 05:40 AM

I think you are right Chris! Something Mike Elias said in his last interview, and my 50-year-old brain can’t remember the exact quote, seemed to intimate that they’re starting SS is not currently in the system. And, as flashy and toolsy as Mateo is it’s clear he can’t hit enough to play on a regular basis, on a contender. Would love to pry Bogarts away from the Sux!

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:05 AM

I think you are right Chris! Something Mike Elias said in his last interview, and my 50-year-old brain can’t remember the exact quote, seemed to intimate that they’re starting SS is not currently in the system. And, as flashy and toolsy as Mateo is it’s clear he can’t hit enough to play on a regular basis, on a contender. Would love to pry Bogarts away from the Sux!

No prying necessary, just cash. Bogaerts is a free agent after the year.

#49 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 08:18 AM

He's been really hot the past week or two. Now at .331/.428/.458 on the year at AAA, 143 wRC+. His ISO is a more respectable .127, I think it was under .100 when we were talking about him a while back. Would like to have him up, we'll probably have 3 new infielders next year so it will be useful to see if he might be one of them.

• Mackus likes this

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 08:32 AM

He's been really hot the past week or two. Now at .331/.428/.458 on the year at AAA, 143 wRC+. His ISO is a more respectable .127, I think it was under .100 when we were talking about him a while back. Would like to have him up, we'll probably have 3 new infielders next year so it will be useful to see if he might be one of them.

Yeah I understand they like what Odor brings to the clubhouse but I think they need to get a real look at Vavra this year

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 08:45 AM

333/443/529/972 since that time we started talking about him. Only 61 PA, but that's a really good stretch.  And to emphasize what you said, nearly 200 ISO in that time so the pop is picking back up to something that feels sustainable at the next level.

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 08:47 AM

So, maybe we'll just go Vavra 2nd, Henderson SS, Westburg 3rd next year. 

If that's the case, let's go with that now.

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 09:09 AM

I'd still like a stud SS but that's an acceptable alternative assuming the scouts think someone can handle SS.  All 3 are legit enough prospects to be given a spot and see how they do even if you're trying to win.  Would really like to see Vavra up here at least by the end of July so he can get 200+ PA so you have a better feel for if he deserves a big opportunity or should have to force his way through.  

Westburg and Henderson I'd like to see, but also ok with holding them back for service time reasons.  If you're expecting them to be on the Opening Day roster though, then they should be up for September at a minimum.

Absolutely must sign or trade for two real SP if you go with the young infielders and don't sign a big time SS.  

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#54 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 09:10 AM

We're 5 games out of the last WC spot.

I know it's unlikely we come close to contending for it, but it would be nice to at least try. These guys are ready and there are holes on the MLB team they can fill. Do it now.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#55 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 July 2022 - 09:39 AM

I'd still like a stud SS but that's an acceptable alternative assuming the scouts think someone can handle SS.  All 3 are legit enough prospects to be given a spot and see how they do even if you're trying to win.  Would really like to see Vavra up here at least by the end of July so he can get 200+ PA so you have a better feel for if he deserves a big opportunity or should have to force his way through.  

Westburg and Henderson I'd like to see, but also ok with holding them back for service time reasons.  If you're expecting them to be on the Opening Day roster though, then they should be up for September at a minimum.

Absolutely must sign or trade for two real SP if you go with the young infielders and don't sign a big time SS.  

Yeah I think signing a major SS and then including Vavra in a deal for a respectable starting pitcher is how I'd want to approach it

she/her

#56 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 July 2022 - 09:59 AM

Yeah I think signing a major SS and then including Vavra in a deal for a respectable starting pitcher is how I'd want to approach it

I'd rather trade Prieto in that scenario and keep Vavra around as a utility guy.

#57 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 July 2022 - 03:12 PM

Called up.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."