138 replies to this topic

#81 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:22 AM

He was sort of ahead of his time in that regard. Some of his interviews were pretty funny, though I doubt the beat writers enjoyed it.

Shame he was only able to put together one full, healthy season.

Eddie Murray says hello. :)

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#82 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:24 AM

Honestly, the best thing Bedard ever did was fetch Adam Jones in a trade. He couldn't pitch a whole season, and was a pill to be around. I'd take means right now, having no idea what the future holds for him, over Bedard.
  • Old Man likes this

#83 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:34 AM

Means has been a good bit better than Bedard, but he's still pitched less than 40% of the innings that Bedard did here.

#84 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:56 AM

Means has been a good bit better than Bedard, but he's still pitched less than 40% of the innings that Bedard did here.

For some reason I'd forgotten that Bedard was part of those 2004/2005 teams - probably due to the utter disappointment of both.

#85 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:40 AM

For some reason I'd forgotten that Bedard was part of those 2004/2005 teams - probably due to the utter disappointment of both.

He had a lot of talent and when healthy, was a top tier pitcher.  He also was a big time jerk...sort of a modern day Ken Holtzman. 

#86 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:52 AM

Honestly, the best thing Bedard ever did was fetch Adam Jones in a trade. He couldn't pitch a whole season, and was a pill to be around. I'd take means right now, having no idea what the future holds for him, over Bedard.

As much as I am a huge Adam Jones fan.

Do not forgot that, the trade also brought Tillman over, while young and raw, was this team's best/ace for a few years, before he forgot how to pitch.

#87 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:05 PM

As much as I am a huge Adam Jones fan.

Do not forgot that, the trade also brought Tillman over, while young and raw, was this team's best/ace for a few years, before he forgot how to pitch.

I don't think having a shoulder injury is quite the same as forgetting how to pitch.
  • Old Man and FL O's Fan like this

#88 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:15 PM

I don't think having a shoulder injury is quite the same as forgetting how to pitch.

Far enough, was trying to be funny a bit.

He got over that injury and was never the same. He was also playing with his weight up and down with Brady trying to get a better edge.

I think its such a fine line with these guys, on being good and not being good.

It doesnt take much sometimes.

#89 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:56 PM

Far enough, was trying to be funny a bit.

He got over that injury and was never the same. He was also playing with his weight up and down with Brady trying to get a better edge.

I think its such a fine line with these guys, on being good and not being good.

It doesnt take much sometimes.

I am not sure he ever got over the shoulder.  If I am recalling correctly, it was a labrum injury.  That has been the depth blow to many pitchers.

I think Chris pitched injured in that ill fated play off game against the Blue Jays and was never the same again.

Honestly, I think Tillman was a better pitcher for the Orioles than Bedard, and I am not sure it was that close.

I think Means will surpass them both.

@mikeghg

#90 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:00 PM

People sadly forget Tillman's first half in 2016. His velocity was up. He was striking people out and had command of his stuff. He carried our staff and was in the Cy Young conversation. Then in August he started having shoulder problems. 

I'm not sure if it was ever connected, but I don't think he was ever the same after that. I know Tillman downplayed it. It is a shame because I honestly think he was coming into his own right before a pay day. 

His last two disastrous years attempting to pitch through it ballooned his career ERA from 4.13 to 4.57. 

#91 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:29 PM

I am not sure he ever got over the shoulder. If I am recalling correctly, it was a labrum injury. That has been the depth blow to many pitchers.
I think Chris pitched injured in that ill fated play off game against the Blue Jays and was never the same again.

Honestly, I think Tillman was a better pitcher for the Orioles than Bedard, and I am not sure it was that close.

I think Means will surpass them both.

Tillman played a bigger role on much better teams, but I'm not sure he was better than Bedard.

I'd argue that Bedard at his best (2007) was much more dominant than Tillman at his best.

#92 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:41 PM

Tillman played a bigger role on much better teams, but I'm not sure he was better than Bedard.

I'd argue that Bedard at his best (2007) was much more dominant than Tillman at his best.

No doubt that at his best, bedard could be dominating, but as far as contributions to the major league team it is Tillman IMO.  Again, I think Means is going to top both.

@mikeghg

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:42 PM

Certainly Bedard at his best was better than Tillman at his best.

However, Tillman provided many more innings and starts.  So just gotta decide on what aspects you value.  For the 4 1/2 seasons from '12-16 Tillman had a 108 ERA+ but he made 143 starts and pitched 844 innings.  For the 4 seasons from '04-07, Bedard had a 118 ERA+ but he only made 111 starts and pitched 657 innings.  Prorate them to a year and you're talking about under 165 IP versus over 185 IP.  Do those extra innings make up for a 108 ERA+ versus a 118 ERA+ guy (which is a big jump, about 0.3 to 0.4 of a run of ERA depending on the year)?  Guess that depends on the rest of your roster.  Could see arguing either way.

#94 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:31 PM

I mean, YMMV to say but WhatIfSports.com considers Erik Bedard's 2007 season to be the Orioles' best starting pitcher (single season) performance in the past 20 years

#95 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,108 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:14 PM

I mean, YMMV to say but WhatIfSports.com considers Erik Bedard's 2007 season to be the Orioles' best starting pitcher (single season) performance in the past 20 years.

I doubt there is much legit competition to that season.

#96 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,108 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:18 PM

Also, while its understandable why the trade is a sore spot for Sea fans I have to say that when Bedard was able to pitch he was quite good for them. 123 ERA+

#97 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:47 PM

Bedard to the media after a game:  "OK, you've got 3 questions..."

Reporter:  "Why?"

Bedard:  "That's one..."

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#98 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:50 PM

Means is certainly a better human being than Bedard

Nothing wrong with Bedard as a person...

And, no, he didn't hate the media... what he hated was boring, stupid questions.... so he made a game of it... he and Nick used to have contests about who could say the fewest words to them after a game...

• BaltBird 24 likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#99 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:57 PM

Nothing wrong with Bedard as a person...

And, no, he didn't hate the media... what he hated was boring, stupid questions.... so he made a game of it... he and Nick used to have contests about who could say the fewest words to them after a game...

He didn't respect the media or their job.

Unfortunately for him, he was in a profession where people made their living by asking him questions about a game that he found kind of boring. Instead of being respectful, he made asses out of them.

Wow, pretty douchey game.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#100 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:08 PM

He didn't respect the media or their job.

Unfortunately for him, he was in a profession where people made their living by asking him questions about a game that he found kind of boring. Instead of being respectful or at least toletant, he made asses out of them.

Wow, I'm unimpressed by the douchey game those guys played. It's almost as shitty as the teams they played for during those years.

It's funny how this became nearly endearing or incredibly annoying (Bill B., Popovich, Marshawn Lynch, certain political figures), depending on your view of the person. Not YOUR view, but the general "your." 

• russsnyder likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=