• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 07:30 AM

Balt Sun: How the Orioles landed ‘can’t-miss prospect’ Coby Mayo with an organization-wide effort

#42 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 June 2022 - 11:17 AM

Promoted to AA Bowie

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 11:50 AM

Awesome. Excited to see what he does at a higher level.

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 June 2022 - 11:56 AM

Promoted to AA Bowie

Nice, next year should see a stream of prospects heading to Baltimore.

I am a little surprised they moved Mayo so soon, but he is on an upswing and his average was up to .250, so they are likely promoting a confident player.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#45 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:34 PM

Nice, next year should see a stream of prospects heading to Baltimore.

I am a little surprised they moved Mayo so soon, but he is on an upswing and his average was up to .250, so they are likely promoting a confident player.

I talked to him at the game yesterday, his and Norby's metrics (barrel rate, hard hit rate, expected BA and OPS) are much higher than their current numbers. Plus Aberdeen suppresses offense and especially homeruns at a pretty decent rate.

I'm very interested to see how these guys perform in Bowie.

#46 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:03 PM

How specifically does Aberdeen suppress offense? Like is it terrible wind, tall fences, etc?

she/her

#47 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:24 PM

How specifically does Aberdeen suppress offense? Like is it terrible wind, tall fences, etc?

That’s above my pay grade, I just look at the numbers Baseball America puts out. Good question though.

#48 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:06 PM

It is particularly tough to RF. Maybe CF too. LF not too bad. At least as far as supressing the HRs. Think its mostly the wind

#49 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:07 PM

I think it's the wind mostly. Can't think of the park dimensions off the top of my head, but the stadium is built right on top of 95 basically, and it's open to the open side where the highway passes, so I'm sure you get all kinds of crazy cross winds coming through because of the amount of open space 95 creates.

Would have to talk to players to know more.

Bob, that's a good segment when you get one of these kids that has played more than one level this year on the show. Ask them what the difference is hitting park to park, and what their favorite parks to hit in are.

• BobPhelan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#50 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 June 2022 - 09:10 PM

I think it's the wind mostly. Can't think of the park dimensions off the top of my head, but the stadium is built right on top of 95 basically, and it's open to the open side where the highway passes, so I'm sure you get all kinds of crazy cross winds coming through because of the amount of open space 95 creates.

Would have to talk to players to know more.

Bob, that's a good segment when you get one of these kids that has played more than one level this year on the show. Ask them what the difference is hitting park to park, and what their favorite parks to hit in are.

Good idea!

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 10:03 AM

MASN: Matt Blood on Coby Mayo: "He's ahead of schedule"

https://www.masnspor...ead-of-schedule

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 02:30 PM

Back to Back Eastern Lge. Player of the Week for the red hot Mayo.

@mikeghg

#53 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 July 2023 - 04:33 PM

Promoted to AAA Norfolk.

#54 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 05:11 PM

Much deserved.

#55 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 September 2023 - 09:05 AM

Since August 8th in AAA:

.297/.453/.662 (1.115) with 6 doubles, 7 HR, a 21.1% BB rate, 14.7% K rate, and 173 wRC+

Has his total line in AAA up to a .879 OPS and 114 wRC+ despite running a .255 BABIP. Identical walk rate (14.7%) as he had in AA with a strikeout rate 4% lower (20.9%).

#56 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 09:22 AM

He started slow at both AA and AAA but figured both out pretty well. Still dont know his longterm position but we will see. Maybe they trade Mounty this offseason and open a spot for him going forward.

#57 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 September 2023 - 09:32 AM

He started slow at both AA and AAA but figured both out pretty well. Still dont know his longterm position but we will see. Maybe they trade Mounty this offseason and open a spot for him going forward.

His defense has improved as well. Should be at least average there. I'm starting to think him at 3B (maybe not every day), Gunnar at SS (he has 9 DRS in only 440 innings there this season), and Holliday at 2B. Heston and Mounty can split 1B/DH with Kjerstad getting some corner outfield time as well.

#58 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 September 2023 - 10:40 AM

His defense has improved as well. Should be at least average there. I'm starting to think him at 3B (maybe not every day), Gunnar at SS (he has 9 DRS in only 440 innings there this season), and Holliday at 2B. Heston and Mounty can split 1B/DH with Kjerstad getting some corner outfield time as well.

So Westburg and Ortiz are odd men out. I think they are too valuable to have as bench guys when you also have Urias. Also not sure I like not having Holliday at SS. What about Gunnar at 3B, Holliday at SS, and Mayo at 2B?

#59 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 September 2023 - 10:58 AM

So Westburg and Ortiz are odd men out. I think they are too valuable to have as bench guys when you also have Urias. Also not sure I like not having Holliday at SS. What about Gunnar at 3B, Holliday at SS, and Mayo at 2B?

I agree about the Westburg/Ortiz part.

I'm also curious to get more insight in Bob's think regarding Jackson. I'm guessing that it's more about Gunnar and fitting Mayo in than anything negative about Holliday.

As for Mayo at 2B, based on what Bob has said, I think Coby's arm is his best defensive asset which would be useful but less valuable at 2B. I'm guessing his D wouldn't be all that good at 2B otherwise either if he profiles as an average third baseman despite the cannon.

#60 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 September 2023 - 11:04 AM

In no universe could Mayo play 2B.

I think it’s fine to have Westburg or Ortiz as a reserve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=