https://twitter.com/...2207465472?s=21

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:40 AM

I can't imagine Servideo turning down slot money.

#63 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:43 AM

Which would mean the Os aren’t spending 300-500k of the money..which after all this stuff about not taking guys and whatnot, would look really poor.

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:48 AM

I'm not gonna complain about them spending 97% of their bonus pool.  

#65 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:21 PM

Which would mean the Os aren’t spending 300-500k of the money..which after all this stuff about not taking guys and whatnot, would look really poor.

I am not bothered by that at all.   It looks like they will get all 6.

@mikeghg

#66 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:34 PM

Yup no problem at all. They left themselves some wiggle room throughout.

#67 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:04 PM

Yup no problem at all. They left themselves some wiggle room throughout.

Probably deal sweetner that they did not need to spend.  I don't say this often about the Orioles, but the way they handled it seems smart.

@mikeghg

#68 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:17 PM

Probably deal sweetner that they did not need to spend. I don't say this often about the Orioles, but the way they handled it seems smart.

Yeah. Im guessing its not uncommon for teams to have money left over.

#69 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:06 PM

Probably deal sweetner that they did not need to spend. I don't say this often about the Orioles, but the way they handled it seems smart.

I think it's likely they had some earlier overslot targets with 30 and 39 and the plan was to spend the savings there. But the targets didn't last, so they pivoted and decided to go slot throughout the middle and then overslot late.

If true, it shows not only did they establish a coherent plan going into the draft, but they had a viable backup plan (or plans). That's good management. I'm not remotely qualified to evaluate the scouting, but I do feel comfortable judging the process.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#70 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:55 PM

My concern would be that they passed on better talent earlier in the draft so that the Angelos family could pocket the money.

#71 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:17 PM

I think they had to be darn sure they could sign all the draftees I know you get compensation through 3 rounds if you fail to sign a guy but with adding so few players this year it was imperative to get everyone. If they passed on overslot talent earlier in the draft I would bet it had more to do with signability vs lining the Angelos's pockets. I'm saying that as someone who has no faith that the Angelos family care anything close to winning as they do making money.

#72 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:37 PM

My concern would be that they passed on better talent earlier in the draft so that the Angelos family could pocket the money.

Having this left over is a happenstance of negotiations. It wasn't a strategy. It's beyond absurd to think that the Angeloses said that they could draft whoever they want but only spend $13.5M instead of $13.8M.

Would you be less upset if they give all the remaining money to Servideo even though he (presumably) would accept slot?

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:03 PM

Having this left over is a happenstance of negotiations. It wasn't a strategy. It's beyond absurd to think that the Angeloses said that they could draft whoever they want but only spend $13.5M instead of $13.8M.
Would you be less upset if they give all the remaining money to Servideo even though he (presumably) would accept slot?

No..I’m not saying they should spend the money just to spend it. You obviously try to get something as cheaply as possible.

However, do I think it’s possible that Elias wanted someone else besides Westburg or Haskin and were basically told that you can’t spend all the money, so save it where you can? Absolutely. This family doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt imo.

#74 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

These comments could probably go in the overall draft thread, but the rules allow you to spend 5% over your allotment with simply a 75% tax on the overage.  Once you go over 5%, you start losing draft picks so it makes little sense to go over 5%, but 5% of the 13.9M pool amount is (just under) another 700k.  You have to pay an extra 525k to get that 700k, but you do have another ~700k.

That would give the Orioles a spend of about 14.6M.

Jared Kelley signed with the CWS (2-47) for 3.00M and if you do the math with their last 3 picks, they were working to get to that amount (signing their last 3 guys for ~ 210k) to get about 20k inside of their straight pool amount.

If you look at the underage (~400k) and the 5% (~700k), you could add that to the 2-39 slot (1.91M, Haskin) and get Kelley for 3.00.

That may be too tight a fit at 2-39 (still works), but you could have pretty easily done it at 1-30.

I don't care about the savings one way or the other, but they actually had about 1.1M to play with after the draft is accounted.

• Mackus likes this

#75 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:34 PM

...and we keep talking about the spend.

I think they're only paying 100k per kid this year with the remainder split between 06/2021 and 06/2022.

They aren't spending squat today regardless of what the final numbers are.....

#76 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:10 PM

Btw, it is also possible that reports are off by a little bit here and there and that could add up to the difference we are talking about.

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:37 PM

Servideo signed for 100k over slot.

https://twitter.com/...0595713025?s=21
  • BobPhelan likes this

#78 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:24 PM

A little money left over but too small to worry about it.  Kind of like a fantasy draft, where you leave 5 bucks on the table and walk out thinking, I should have gone higher on this some player.

@mikeghg

#79 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

Good job getting the draft class signed.  It's their class and they got the guys they wanted.

They made choices, like Servideo versus Casey Martin is one of them.  It takes 5 years to play out some, but we can look back.

Martin was taken 3-87 by the Phillies and signed for 1.3M.

#80 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:25 AM

Servideo signed for 100k over slot.

https://twitter.com/...0595713025?s=21

So Connley refers to the... " 'sooo cheap' draft pitchforkers".

At what point did you consider that social media wasn't mostly a cesspool of ignorance.  There's no standard for twitter, otherwise, who would be on it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=