436 replies to this topic

#21 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:38 PM

Nice to see the Os back to their overslot ways.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:44 PM

Except they're actually going to use the money they save strategically later in the draft.

#23 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:46 PM

Don’t be so sure. He was “rated” around 10 but that’s cause they felt like they needed to slide some HS kids up. He’s been rated closer to 5-6 for a long time and he’s a prototypical RF. Everyone has issues this draft. He’s one of the safest picks and he’s really not far off from Gonzales or Hancock. I’d put him in the same basket. Was the first guy I thought of when thinking realistic underslot and not as much of a drop off as you usually have to make to save a mil.

What do you view him hitting if you think he’s like a 7th slot guy? If you are picturing Reimold part 2, I see that. But I think he’s closer to a 40 HR guy than a 20 HR guy. The real ONLY question about him is can he lay off the advanced secondary pitches he will see in AA?

.240/.330/.450 with 23-27 bombs and 200+ strikeouts is what I imagine. If he's striking out that much against college breaking stuff, god help him when he has to face major league pitching. Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't even make it to the majors.
  • Biggsy likes this

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:48 PM

No. It was a team that didn’t have a sandwich pick. And I don’t think it was too seriously considered. More of a how loaded will next years draft be because of this situation and having 2 top picks next year could be better than one in each.

It's always a crapshoot in the MLB draft, at least relative to drafting in other sports. I'd be curious to learn what led them to this kid though, considering the circumstances in which they had little to no chance to see any prospects play or talk to them this year. I guess we might find some of the answer when they pick at #30.

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:54 PM

In a [hopefully] season where the owners are screaming about how they will collectively lose hundreds of millions, pinching pennies in the draft would not surprise me at all.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:55 PM

Never heard of him. Don't love the profile.

Love the strategy, though. I'll take three kids in the 10-20 range over the top of our board at #2, #30 and #39 at full slot value. Wouldn't do that every year, but this seems like a year without a clear top-5 yet alone top-2, and the scouting difficulties add tons of uncertainty to the rankings.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:56 PM

Except they're actually going to use the money they save strategically later in the draft.

Just saw the ESPN write up say the same. Hope so.
  • BobPhelan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:56 PM

.240/.330/.450 with 23-27 bombs and 200+ strikeouts is what I imagine. If he's striking out that much against college breaking stuff, god help him when he has to face major league pitching. Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't even make it to the majors.

Yeah that’s what I thought you were picturing. That’s more like Reimold. Worse even a lot of his issues were injury related.

Give him some time but I think he ends up closer to JD Martinez than Joey Gallo.
@JeremyMStrain

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

Never heard of him. Don't love the profile.

Love the strategy, though. I'll take three kids in the 10-20 range over the top of our board at #2, #30 and #39 at full slot value.

Guess it'll be a pretty big kick in the balls then if they dont go that far underslot with him and dont go much overslot the rest of the way

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:58 PM

Guess it'll be a pretty big kick in the balls then if they dont go that far underslot with him and dont go much overslot the rest of the way

Yes, that would scream Angeloses are involved, IMO, adventure into Matt Hobgood or Chris Smith territory.

#31 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:58 PM

It's always a crapshoot in the MLB draft, at least relative to drafting in other sports. I'd be curious to learn what led them to this kid though, considering the circumstances in which they had little to no chance to see any prospects play or talk to them this year. I guess we might find some of the answer when they pick at #30.

He really is one of the safer picks at the top. His floor is higher and generally I’ve only heard the one knock against him, pitch selection, but in his short spring sample he had already really cut back on Ks so he might already be on his way.
@JeremyMStrain

#32 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:00 PM

First glance at my top 30 list, I'd probably slide Kjerstad in the 5-7 range.

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:06 PM

There is very little reason to bash the pick before seeing what happens with 30 and 39.

I don’t love the pick either and would have rather seen Meyer, Veen, Lacy or Martin. But I’m guessing they didn’t feel there was a lot of difference between these guys and took the guy they know will sign for a value that allows them to go bigger later.

If they don’t go big later than you bash them.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#34 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:10 PM

@aaronfitt:

Boy Heston Kjerstad at No. 2 overall is a neat pick. We didn’t quite see it coming, but really his power tool is up there with Tork’s, and he’s a corner outfielder. Looking back at the build-up to this, I’m not sure why Kjerstad didn’t get more run as a top-3 kind of pick.

https://twitter.com/...858670046416897

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:12 PM

https://lastwordonba...-draft-profile/

#36 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:13 PM

I'm waiting on Keith Law to tell me what to think.
  • JeremyStrain, Pedro Cerrano, NewMarketSean and 1 other like this

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:14 PM

https://twitter.com/...1747226624?s=21

https://twitter.com/...6319769601?s=21

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:25 PM

https://www.facebook...707116276753724

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:40 PM

https://twitter.com/...9167966208?s=21

#40 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 09:02 PM

Yeah that’s what I thought you were picturing. That’s more like Reimold. Worse even a lot of his issues were injury related.

Give him some time but I think he ends up closer to JD Martinez than Joey Gallo.

Honestly I'd be thrilled if he became Joey Gallo. I'm afraid he's going to be more like a platoon player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=