• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:22 PM

The Orioles take Kjerstad 2nd overall.  OF, Arkansas. 

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

MLB.com: Profile
https://www.mlb.com/...ospect-arkansas

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:24 PM

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:25 PM

2080 Baseball:  Ranked 15th overall

https://2080baseball...-draft-ranking/

15. Heston Kjerstad (OF, Univ. of Arkansas | Video)

Owner of some of the best college power in the class, Hjerstad has a strong track record both in Fayetteville, and with wood bats over the summer. The left-handed hitting slugger led the USA Collegiate National Team in all three slash categories (.395/.426/.651). An aggressive hitter, there is some swing-and-miss in the profile, but he had cut his strikeout rate nearly in half (21.58-to-11.54) during the pandemic-shortened spring. There’s some pre-swing noise in the hands and an exaggerated leg kick in his load, though he usually gets his foot down in time to wreak havoc on balls in the zone. Defensively, he profiles as a right fielder where his above-average arm should play well.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:29 PM

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:29 PM

With the 2nd overall pick of the 2020 #MLBDraft, the #Orioles select
OF Heston Kjerstad, No. 10 on our Top 200 Draft Prospects list: https://atmlb.com/2BKR8uE

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

The Orioles select Heston Kjerstad, an outfielder from Arkansas, No. 2 overall. Here’s a link to his full scouting report: https://baseballamerica.com/rankings/2020-mlb-draft-top-prospects/?Position=&Keyword=Kjerstad

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:31 PM

Here's what Mike Elias said about the idea of going under slot on his call earlier this week. Heston Kjerstad's power and premium position certainly qualify him for being the type of player the Orioles like the best:

https://twitter.com/...859423335014400

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:33 PM

@JonMeoli

Here's what Mike Elias said about the idea of going under slot on his call earlier this week. Heston Kjerstad's power and premium position certainly qualify him for being the type of player the Orioles like the best:

https://twitter.com/...859423335014400

Premium position?

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:39 PM

Orioles taking Heston Kjerstad means expect to see them take a top-15/20 talent with their supp. 1st or 2nd round pick. Clearly underslot here means they have even more massive financial advantage with their later picks.

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

HOF

• Moderators
  • 14,468 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:04 PM

Premium position?

Played CF in college, most likely ends up in RF.

#13 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:08 PM

Played CF in college, most likely ends up in RF.

Thank goodness. I was really starting to worry that the Orioles might be left without a right fielder that can hit 20 homers and strike out 200 times a year. Those guys are rare.

#14 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

HOF

• Moderators
  • 14,468 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:10 PM

Thank goodness. I was really starting to worry that the Orioles might be left without a right fielder that can hit 20 homers and strike out 200 times a year. Those guys are rare.

You’re on tilt dude lol Love the passion.

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:11 PM

Seriously Slide, get off the fence, tell us how you really feel about the pick. :-P

@mikeghg

#16 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:14 PM

You’re on tilt dude lol Love the passion.

I'm so angry at this pick. There were so many guys with more talent, who could make the club faster. I wish the kid well, and I haven't given up on him entirely, but the only thing about him that is the slightest bit inspiring is the power. In today's game, you can find that anywhere.

Even if they wanted to go under slot, there were plenty of guys that were probably a better fit for the team then him. Right now, it feels like they gave up the chance at a premium talent to draft a guy who might hit seventh in the order at his peak and take a shot on another long shot later.

#17 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:16 PM

Seriously Slide, get off the fence, tell us how you really feel about the pick. :-P

I'm just getting warmed up!

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:32 PM

So honestly asking, because I don't follow amateur baseball at all....does this mean the Orioles are possibly that "mystery team" in the Top 10 that were rumored to be punting their pick?

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,370 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:33 PM

I'm so angry at this pick. There were so many guys with more talent, who could make the club faster. I wish the kid well, and I haven't given up on him entirely, but the only thing about him that is the slightest bit inspiring is the power. In today's game, you can find that anywhere.

Even if they wanted to go under slot, there were plenty of guys that were probably a better fit for the team then him. Right now, it feels like they gave up the chance at a premium talent to draft a guy who might hit seventh in the order at his peak and take a shot on another long shot later.

Don’t be so sure. He was “rated” around 10 but that’s cause they felt like they needed to slide some HS kids up. He’s been rated closer to 5-6 for a long time and he’s a prototypical RF. Everyone has issues this draft. He’s one of the safest picks and he’s really not far off from Gonzales or Hancock. I’d put him in the same basket. Was the first guy I thought of when thinking realistic underslot and not as much of a drop off as you usually have to make to save a mil.

What do you view him hitting if you think he’s like a 7th slot guy? If you are picturing Reimold part 2, I see that. But I think he’s closer to a 40 HR guy than a 20 HR guy. The real ONLY question about him is can he lay off the advanced secondary pitches he will see in AA?
@JeremyMStrain

#20 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,370 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:35 PM

So honestly asking, because I don't follow amateur baseball at all....does this mean the Orioles are possibly that "mystery team" in the Top 10 that were rumored to be punting their pick?

No. It was a team that didn’t have a sandwich pick. And I don’t think it was too seriously considered. More of a how loaded will next years draft be because of this situation and having 2 top picks next year could be better than one in each.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=