Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

Got a PSA 10 Schoop rookie for 10 bucks, felt like a pretty good deal 

muhrX0V.jpg

Nice. I always liked him and felt like he was under valued being on the same infield with Manny, Hardy, and Davis when he was good. 

• BSLRoseKatz likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#264 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

Yeah I picked up a PSA 9 Manny a couple months ago and figured I should reunite the duo 

• Mike in STL likes this

she/her

#265 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:33 PM

Since this thread popped back up I will go ahead with some random thoughts I've had.

Topps Chrome, to me, is garbage. I liked Series 1 and 2, had some cool inserts, some pretty photos that I've posted here. But Chrome you got for the most part the same pictures just on shiny, thicker stock at about 7 times the price per card of Series 1/2. I don't see the value in it. They also must have forgot to ship any Luis Robert's to the Baltimore area because I've opened up way too many packs without finding a single one. There also must be billion rookie middle relievers autographs out there and only a few actual players of substance, because all my autos from Topps Chrome are crap. Not even kidding when I tell you that I have not one, but two Travis Lakins autos when he was with Boston. 

The Lux RC in a blue refractor is all I have to show for Topps Chrome.

Hadn't bought anything in a while and popped in the local shop. They had 2019 chrome update boxes. I picked up a box and yeah, it sucked too. Only card that had a nice touch was Mike Trout wearing a number 45 jersey, from the night they honored Tyler Skaggs. 

I put some cards up on ebay, but don't have to time to go through all my cards and flip them on the spot. I know I got a few Randy Arozarena rookie cards out of series 1 that I didn't think twice about at the time, but seeing them selling for $10-$15 right now. I'm sure more if the Rays would have won the whole thing. Maybe when he's a superstar in 5 years and the Yankees sign him I'll sell high then. 

Sold a Jhon Torres auto, Gold refractor #/50, 1st Bowman, for $250. (So I made my money back on that box). Guaranteed to be the next Mike Trout now. Guy has a solid scouting report so I'm actually keeping an eye on ebay for the same card at a lower price, or a rarer one that is only a little more expensive. There is a #/5 taking bids, is at $400 with 2 days to go. Won't stay there, but the red refractor on Cardinals players looks real nice. Interested to see what that one ends up going for. 

Next year I'll probably stick to Bowman products for possible return value and Topps Series 1 and 2 for set building and the hobby aspect of it. Heritage and Chrome, won't wast my time. 

• Pedro Cerrano likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#266 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:25 AM

If you got any Topps series 1 you probably got some home run challenge cards. If you went to Topps website and entered the promo code and predicted a date the player would homer, and they did, they send you a numbers parallel of that player.

Just got the email that I have two Nolan Arenado and a Mookie Betts on the way. Looked on eBay and these cards aren’t worth much from previous years, but still kinda cool.

Still waiting for the Cal 2131 set to ship. I don’t think they started the print run until the sale ended which was a month ago maybe. Like it to be a nice self Christmas gift. Hope to get my two PSA submissions back by then too which I sent in over 2 months ago. Witt Jr. green auto. Lux blue parallel.
@BSLMikeRandall

#267 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 November 2020 - 01:53 PM

I haven't picked up a blaster box since getting into the hobby since I figured getting singles was cooler but I think that'll be what I spend my 20 bucks on this time, will need to see if Target actually has anything or if I'll need to just go online

she/her

#268 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 03:44 PM

I haven't picked up a blaster box since getting into the hobby since I figured getting singles was cooler but I think that'll be what I spend my 20 bucks on this time, will need to see if Target actually has anything or if I'll need to just go online

I’ve once in a blue moon seen a series 1 or 2 blaster at target. Never Bowman, Topps Chrome, etc. but if you like stickers or Hockey cards, target is your hook up!
@BSLMikeRandall

#269 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 November 2020 - 03:52 PM

Yea. I randomly scooped a few Bowman packs at Walmart months ago. That’s about it. Any time I’ve been in Target it’s barren

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#270 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:48 PM

https://www.instagra...id=bz7vzh04cqar

#271 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 07:54 PM

I’m so happy that a spoiled brat kid of a rich parent pulled a Zion auto. Just makes the hobby so much fun to follow
  • Mike in STL and BSLRoseKatz like this

@bopper33

#272 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:45 PM

I’m so happy that a spoiled brat kid of a rich parent pulled a Zion auto. Just makes the hobby so much fun to follow

Yeah. $1,000 for 8 cards. Must be nice. 

How long until "his kids Zion card" shows up on ebay? 

@BSLMikeRandall

#273 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:12 PM

Incoming Baseball card dump. Few posts coming.

Couple weeks ago picked up some Topps 2020 Update at Target. Aside from the base cards, Update typically has cards in the set that focus on the years HRD and ASG, but we didn't have that this year. So they went and brought in some classics from events past which makes for some pretty sweet cards if you are just plain a fan. 

Few of my faves from that segment...

Always loved Eric Davis. Aside from Jose Canseco, I think Davis had the quickest bat. Sheffield maybe too. Missed opportunity on the Griffey card here, the 93' HRD, warehouse, backwards cap, seemed like an obvious choice. What were they thinking. Harper winning that derby at home, in all that America swag, pretty cool.

ns8gkmy.jpg

This guy. That 99' Derby was a display. 

SWisMY1.jpg

Again from the 99' ASG, Pedro's performance was legendary. Struck out Larkin, Walker, Sosa, McGwire, and Bagwell to start the game.

I just love anything with Griffey. Favorite Non-Oriole.

EhdCqXS.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#274 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:16 PM

Can't talk ASGs without mentioning this guy. Won the 91' HRD, and his last ASG in 2001. 

uUKmBTd.jpg

Some other O's from the Turkey Red collection

tN1o5KJ.jpg

Mussina getting some love in the Decades Best series. Plus just an awesome pic for Iggy. Markakis should have a card like this. "Big Stick Nick" has a better ring to it.

paOp9pO.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#275 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:28 PM

Alright, last and certainly not least. My 2131 series came in. 50 card set spanning Cal's entire career, highlighting 2131 mostly. Stories on the backs of the cards, quotes from other players about the moments highlighted. 

The print run of the set was 1,386. So there won't be too many of these sets out there. 

Card #1 in the set is from the 1978 Draft. Cal auto, #19/21, on card #1 in the set. He's my role model growing up, and this is actually the only thing of his I have signed. I was close as a kid a couple times at a game holding my hand out with a ball, but never got it. Also, thank you, Topps, for adding the parallel to the set, rather than making it one of the 50 cards. I can put the auto on the shelf, and still have the 50 card set completely intact, rather than 49 of the 50. 

cToBmuy.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#276 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:58 PM

That Cal set is super cool. Isn't your Bobby Witt Jr supposed to be back from PSA soon?

she/her

#277 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 10:46 AM

That Cal set is super cool. Isn't your Bobby Witt Jr supposed to be back from PSA soon?

Allegedly. Lol.

When I sent it in they warned me about the backlog. Said December, or longer. Not surprised I haven’t gotten it yet.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#278 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 03:42 PM

I did a 30 day BGS in early June and still nothing. Just FYI

@bopper33

#279 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:55 PM

Ebay-ers be crazy. I sold a Jhon Torres 1st bowman auto back in October for $250. Gold, #/50. 

Been checking in to see from time to time where the market is on some of these. I saw another Torres, same card, gold auto, #/50. With 30 seconds left the max bid was $72. I popped it to $100. With 5 seconds left someone went to $103. Just before the clock hit zero it went for $202. I mean...what just happened? Lol. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#280 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:12 PM

Ebay-ers be crazy. I sold a Jhon Torres 1st bowman auto back in October for $250. Gold, #/50.

Been checking in to see from time to time where the market is on some of these. I saw another Torres, same card, gold auto, #/50. With 30 seconds left the max bid was $72. I popped it to $100. With 5 seconds left someone went to $103. Just before the clock hit zero it went for $202. I mean...what just happened? Lol.

Someone had a max bid over $200 and someone likely bid $201 (probably trying to go $1 over a $200 bid) at the last second and the system automatically outbid it up to $202

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=