#241 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:22 PM

I would grade the Lux foil

Was thinking about it. A few ungraded have sold for $109-$150.

@BSLMikeRandall

#242 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:07 AM

The blue foil looks super neat, I dig the colors they use with Chrome a lot

she/her

#243 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:10 PM

Jasson cards do exist. Got the Bowman paper and Chrome in the same pack from a blaster box. Too bad the price for him fell way off. The paper only going for a few bucks. The Chrome about $20. Feel like these were a $100 a couple months ago. Looking at eBay it seems like there are about a billion Jasson cards out there.

Also I’ve opened about 12 Topps chrome blasters, and 4 packs from a jumbo box, and have yet to see a Robert RC.
@BSLMikeRandall

#244 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:15 PM

Yea his value has fallen. Gotta strike while the iron’s hot. Wonder if the prices of 2020 Bowman hobby has gone down

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#245 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:20 PM

Yea his value has fallen. Gotta strike while the iron’s hot. Wonder if the prices of 2020 Bowman hobby has gone down

Looked at that earlier. The jumbo recently selling for $500+. The hobby around $220ish.
@BSLMikeRandall

#246 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:39 PM

Jasson cards do exist. Got the Bowman paper and Chrome in the same pack from a blaster box. Too bad the price for him fell way off. The paper only going for a few bucks. The Chrome about $20. Feel like these were a $100 a couple months ago. Looking at eBay it seems like there are about a billion Jasson cards out there.

Also I’ve opened about 12 Topps chrome blasters, and 4 packs from a jumbo box, and have yet to see a Robert RC.

It’s because there was a video of him looking gigantic (as in, jacked) and there was an overreaction that he is too big too young. I think his prospect (and therefore card) value will bounce back.

#247 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:52 PM

It’s because there was a video of him looking gigantic (as in, jacked) and there was an overreaction that he is too big too young. I think his prospect (and therefore card) value will bounce back.

Since he’s a Yankee, I hope he’s the next Joba Chaimberlen
@BSLMikeRandall

#248 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:18 PM

Bowman Chrome just came out yesterday. 17 year old Bayron Lora 1st auto cards have already sold on ebay, #/150, one for $2500, another for $3000. A base auto went for $2500. A #/250 went for $2500. A non-auto #/25 sold for somewhere just under $425. 

Saw a video of a guy pull an auto #/25. If the #/150 went for $3000, he might have a $5K card on his hands. 

This hobby is out of control. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#249 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:28 PM

Wanted something in my budget from the 1970 O's to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the World Series, a PSA 8 Boog Powell will do quite nicely for me

p4UOb5T.jpeg

• Mike in STL likes this

she/her

#250 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

Bowman Chrome just came out yesterday. 17 year old Bayron Lora 1st auto cards have already sold on ebay, #/150, one for $2500, another for $3000. A base auto went for $2500. A #/250 went for $2500. A non-auto #/25 sold for somewhere just under $425. 

Saw a video of a guy pull an auto #/25. If the #/150 went for $3000, he might have a $5K card on his hands. 

This hobby is out of control. 

RIGHT? What happened to boxes being $40? I still have my Shaq rookie gold card around here somewhere.

@JeremyMStrain

#251 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:23 AM

RIGHT? What happened to boxes being $40? I still have my Shaq rookie gold card around here somewhere.

It's insane. The HTA boxes are well over $200 and you get 3 autograph cards, and thats it. It's the most expensive lottery tickets in the world.

I haven't bought any in a while, except a set off Topps website which I'll post about. I probably hit that one lotto ticket pulling a Witt jr auto which is in the grading process. I'll seek ebay for some single card value buys. Of course I've said this before and end up buying another worthless topps chrome blaster two days later :)

@BSLMikeRandall

#252 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:26 AM

Cal Ripken 50 card set celebrating the 25th anniversary of 2131. 8 days left to buy. 

https://www.topps.co...ipken-2131.html

@BSLMikeRandall

#253 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:54 AM

It's insane. The HTA boxes are well over $200 and you get 3 autograph cards, and thats it. It's the most expensive lottery tickets in the world.

I haven't bought any in a while, except a set off Topps website which I'll post about. I probably hit that one lotto ticket pulling a Witt jr auto which is in the grading process. I'll seek ebay for some single card value buys. Of course I've said this before and end up buying another worthless topps chrome blaster two days later :)

Jeez. I looked around when Covid started thinking I may buy a box or two cause my 10 year old and I were looking through my stash of valuable cards from when I was her age. Stuff from like 91-94. But when I saw the prices on those boxes we said forget that noise.
@JeremyMStrain

#254 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

Yea it's absurd right now.  I have eased off -- I spent well over $1,000 buying boxes during COVID but now that sports have returned my interest has waned a bit.  Between not being able to find anything for a reasonable price at Target due to thieves and the oversaturation (seriously, how many different series can they release?) it's just a bit too much.

I will probably make it a point to buy random singles on ebay that I like and the occasional box (like when standard Bowman or Topps comes out) but that's about it.

@bopper33

#255 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

The Luis Robert SSP that I pulled from Series 2 saved me from losing a lot of money buying cards.

• JeremyStrain likes this

@bopper33

#256 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:13 PM

Yea it's absurd right now. I have eased off -- I spent well over $1,000 buying boxes during COVID but now that sports have returned my interest has waned a bit. Between not being able to find anything for a reasonable price at Target due to thieves and the oversaturation (seriously, how many different series can they release?) it's just a bit too much.

I will probably make it a point to buy random singles on ebay that I like and the occasional box (like when standard Bowman or Topps comes out) but that's about it.

Same boat. Think I might buy a box or two of Bowman Draft since it’s all the drafted players firsts cards. They’re all lottery tickets I guess whereas Bowman chrome and regular you have a ton of base card BS to filter through.

But yeah. In the future I could have bought the equivalent of 20 Robert RCs for what I spent on crap. Doubt I’ll ever pull the equivalent of the Witt jr auto again. Still don’t know if I should flip it or wait either.
@BSLMikeRandall

#257 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:17 PM

Same boat. Think I might buy a box or two of Bowman Draft since it’s all the drafted players firsts cards. They’re all lottery tickets I guess whereas Bowman chrome and regular you have a ton of base card BS to filter through.

But yeah. In the future I could have bought the equivalent of 20 Robert RCs for what I spent on crap. Doubt I’ll ever pull the equivalent of the Witt jr auto again. Still don’t know if I should flip it or wait either.

It's interesting. Cards are almost like prospects are in the actual sport. When they are still new and untested, or doing well in the minors, they have all this value, the untapped potential is crazy so you WANT to have it. But then if they hit the majors and bottom out or become a role player, that value is toast.

I think the value is highest either right when you pull it, or when they make the HOF. In between...meh.

I started getting into cards the year after Griffey's rookie card and it's still out there taunting me. I have his 2nd year card, the one that's like rising stars or something like that, but the actual RY I missed out on. I've got plenty of Tim Salmon if anyone wants in on that action. Maybe even a Jim Edmonds....hmm my pile is right here, maybe I'll sift through it and see who else fun I have.

@JeremyMStrain

#258 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:30 PM

Eh, I've got Michael Jordan's baseball rookie. A-Rod. Jeffrey Hammonds. Brett Favre. Randy Johnson. Shaq, Alonzo. Tom Gugliotta.

So many randos. It's fun to look back at what I really wanted to keep when I was like 10-14.

@JeremyMStrain

#259 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:49 PM

It's interesting. Cards are almost like prospects are in the actual sport. When they are still new and untested, or doing well in the minors, they have all this value, the untapped potential is crazy so you WANT to have it. But then if they hit the majors and bottom out or become a role player, that value is toast.

I think the value is highest either right when you pull it, or when they make the HOF. In between...meh.

I started getting into cards the year after Griffey's rookie card and it's still out there taunting me. I have his 2nd year card, the one that's like rising stars or something like that, but the actual RY I missed out on. I've got plenty of Tim Salmon if anyone wants in on that action. Maybe even a Jim Edmonds....hmm my pile is right here, maybe I'll sift through it and see who else fun I have.

Pretty much. It's like the stock market as well. Buy low, sell high.

Actually was just looking on ebay...mentioned before the Bayron Lora autos in Bowman Chrome that were going for $2500+ last week on release day... A week later, today, his base auto went for $450, another for $360, another "or best offered" somewhere below $350, another for $317, see one as low as $150. Kudos to the guy who sold the $2,500 one. The buyer can't be happy he didn't wait a week.

I mean, if that is the card everyone is chasing in the Bowman Chrome set, you might be able to buy the base auto one for slightly more than the actual box of Bowman chrome that could be garbage.

However, a #/25 is the rarest one I see sold and it went for $4,000 a couple days ago. But still, the #/50 I see two separate listings for or best offered somewhere near $5,000. 

I mean what's changed? He hasn't played. He didn't go from great to good in a week. It's wild. I don't know what to think.

Even that 89' Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr., they aren't going for that much unless it grades out perfectly, which will be harder to find as time goes on. Someone bought a PSA 10 for $1650. A graded 9.5 for $695. But a graded 9 went for $175. Graded 8 went for under $80. Not graded you can find for under $50. Those in 9 or worse condition are likely whats left out there. I feel like that card was $100, 30 years ago. Still is apparently, unless you find a gem. I guess if you can shop around and snag 10 of them ungraded, send all of them into PSA/BGS, hope you get one back that is 9.5 or 10, it's worth the investment. The ones that are 9 look good on the shelf. Less than 9, break out of the slab and re-sell as ungraded. 

I have the Derek Jeter 1992 Draft Pick card. Thought I was sitting of gold. Probably could get $20 for it now. Our generations foremost Yankee, the rings, he's a SS, HOFer, $20. But some 16 year old nobody in a Yankee uniform sells for hundreds, thousands of dollars when he won't play pro ball for at least 4 years? GTFOH. Even that stock is falling. Could get Jasson's Bowman Chrome in March for over $100 ungraded. Just saw a PSA 9 go for only $50. 

It's gotta be a matter of time until morons figure this out and stop over paying on release day. 

• JeremyStrain likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#260 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 10:41 PM

I caved last week and bought a box of Bowman Chrome. Pulled a Jhon Torres auto, gold, #/50. 19 y/o int'l FA in the Cardinals system. Their #13 ranked prospect. Seems like the kind of prospect that could only get hotter the next year or two. 6'4" RFer, big power, cannon arm. I think I got a nice one there.

I bought another box a few days later and didn't recognize the guys on the autos. One was a Vaughn Grissom refractor, #/499. 11th round pick of the Braves out of high school last year. I put his card on ebay for $25 and it sold the same day. That makes me nervous. 

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=