158 replies to this topic

#61 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:46 AM

You just have to hope that the crash was unexpected and sudden and everyone died on impact with no suffering or conscious realization of what was happening.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#62 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:00 AM

I just hate thinking about the fact that this devoted father -knew- he was going to die, and -knew- his daughter would, too...and there's literally nothing he could do to prevent it. 

That's just a level of helplessness that I would never wish on anyone. My goodness. 

Yea..same here.

I have been thinking about those moments when the helicopter is going down and what they must have been thinking.

So awful.

What’s really sad is this could have all be easily prevented with better planning by the pilot.

It’s sad to see people die, especially young people. It’s even worse when those people die because of the actions of someone else.

It’s so tragic. It’s hard to watch the coverage, although I have been doing it non stop.

#63 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

https://twitter.com/...6711228418?s=21

#64 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

I just hate thinking about the fact that this devoted father -knew- he was going to die, and -knew- his daughter would, too...and there's literally nothing he could do to prevent it. 

That's just a level of helplessness that I would never wish on anyone. My goodness. 

It is hard to think about what the last minute must have been like for them.  Just terrible.

@mikeghg

#65 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:00 AM

https://twitter.com/...6711228418?s=21

As someone as successful as he is he absolutely deserves to use a helicopter as a limo to avoid LA traffic.

But that chopper should have never been flying in fog.

• The Epic likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#66 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

Yea..same here.

I have been thinking about those moments when the helicopter is going down and what they must have been thinking.

So awful.

What’s really sad is this could have all be easily prevented with better planning by the pilot.

It’s sad to see people die, especially young people. It’s even worse when those people die because of the actions of someone else.

It’s so tragic. It’s hard to watch the coverage, although I have been doing it non stop.

They said there's gonna be analysis of what happened, within the week. I'm really curious because...man...should they even have been flying at all? Not because of means (if I was that rich and lived in such a congested area, I'd TOTALLY do it), but because it didn't seem feasible.

#67 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:47 AM

Let's hold off on this sort of thinking.  There will be plenty of analysis done on what happened.  The pilot was a person to and surely didn't want to die.

Tragic for all, particularly for the young ladies whose lives had barely started.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:50 AM

As someone as successful as he is he absolutely deserves to use a helicopter as a limo to avoid LA traffic.

But that chopper should have never been flying in fog.

My brother in law was saying they fly in the fog all the time.

However, there is a certain amount of planning that goes into it.

He suspects the pilot didn’t plan properly and that is likely what resulted in the crash.

#69 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:51 AM

Let's hold off on this sort of thinking.  There will be plenty of analysis done on what happened.  The pilot was a person to and surely didn't want to die.

Tragic for all, particularly for the young ladies whose lives had barely started.

My analysis is coming directly from my brother in law, who is a helicopter pilot and teacher on an army base.

While it’s possible there was a maintenance issue, he said most of the time, it’s pilot error.

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

WNST: HERE’S WHAT KOBE BRYANT MEANT TO ME

Nice read from Pete.

#71 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:57 AM

My analysis is coming directly from my brother in law, who is a helicopter pilot and teacher on an army base.

While it’s possible there was a maintenance issue, he said most of the time, it’s pilot error.

That's all fine, and if you want to speculate on what happened based on that info then go ahead.

But there's jump between this post and the portion of your post that I quoted above.  That's all.

RIP to all.

#72 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:02 PM

WNST: HERE’S WHAT KOBE BRYANT MEANT TO ME

Nice read from Pete.

It’s funny how loved in LA he is and yet they booed him and he wanted out...he was a big part of the Break up of the 3 point.

That stuff feels like it never happened and that was before this tragedy occurred.

#73 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:17 PM

Kobe had a lot going on as far as business interests in his retirement. He would leave work everyday at 2 PM to get his daughters off the bus, then return to the office for a few hours afterwards. 

#74 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

Kobe had a lot going on as far as business interests in his retirement. He would leave work everyday at 2 PM to get his daughters off the bus, then return to the office for a few hours afterwards. 

He was really going to push for the advancement of women’s basketball.

Obviously his daughter had a lot to do with that but he was mentoring college players already.

It really seems like his after basketball life was going to end up being his true legacy.

#75 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:47 PM

He was a large part of a growing venture firm.

Would have done lots of different things.

Latest reminder of how fleeting life is, and do what you can with the time you have.

#76 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:52 PM

He was really going to push for the advancement of women’s basketball.

Obviously his daughter had a lot to do with that but he was mentoring college players already.

It really seems like his after basketball life was going to end up being his true legacy.

Really touching moment following the Oregon/Oregon St game yesterday. Oregon's Lonescu apparently was very good friends with Kobe. 

I don't think anyone realized how genuine he was and how many relationships he had formed over the years.

Another crazy thing was seeing Tiger's caddy tell him the news as he finished up his round yesterday. Tiger unaware coming down the stretch, even as fans were chanting "Do it for Mamba". 

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:53 PM

Speaking of business interests, Body Armor is sooooo much better than Gatorade. 

• Chris B likes this

#78 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:59 PM

Really touching moment following the Oregon/Oregon St game yesterday. Oregon's Lonescu apparently was very good friends with Kobe.

I don't think anyone realized how genuine he was and how many relationships he had formed over the years.

Another crazy thing was seeing Tiger's caddy tell him the news as he finished up his round yesterday. Tiger unaware coming down the stretch, even as fans were chanting "Do it for Mamba".

Yea..they said on the telecast that his caddie told him.

LaCava knew but he hadn’t said anything.

Tiger and Kobe are cut from the same cloth.

I actually expected to hear that they were really close. It doesn’t seem they were real close (I think tiger is closer to MJ) but they were still close enough.

And no way I knew about the impact he was having with others off the court.

He never seemed like that guy to me.

This is another way him and Tiger are so similar..as they have gotten older, they appreciate things more and seem more accessible.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#79 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

I’m trying to think...Is this the worst celebrity death of our lifetime?

I mean, big name people have died over the last 25-40 years but the way this happened makes it worse.

I’m trying to think of someone this big dying in a sudden way that hurt so many...Prince maybe? Michael Jackson?

Tony Gwynn and Seau weren’t at Kobe’s level if I were to think of athletes.

Len Bias? Not known enough.

#80 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:03 PM

When I think about it, one of the first ways I knew about Kobe off the court was from Coach K and USA basketball.

Kobe would have gone to Duke had he gone to college and Coach K would talk about him in the most glowing ways.

They really had a great relationship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=