#141 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

She wasn't at the funeral making a shitty eulogy. You are, whether consciously or not, normalizing behavior that in absolutely no way should be normalized--it's already happening enough in our society.

Well you don’t know that the behavior was bad or if she was just someone looking to get paid.

Kobe always said it was consensual.

She dropped charges to get money. Always fishy when that happens, especially when it involves a high profile person.

And btw, that’s not to say Kobe wasn’t some scumbag and did something he shouldn’t have...just that it’s not a definite that he did.

#142 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:20 PM

Well you don’t know that the behavior was bad or if she was just someone looking to get paid.

Kobe always said it was consensual.

She dropped charges to get money. Always fishy when that happens, especially when it involves a high profile person.

And btw, that’s not to say Kobe wasn’t some scumbag and did something he shouldn’t have...just that it’s not a definite that he did.

Ok

@DJ_McCann

#143 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

There’s a lot to question in that story but it is part of him and people are putting him on a pedestal, so it’s not unfair to bring it up in the right context.

I don’t know if it needs to be brought up now though, especially with his wife and daughters obviously grieving.

I agree with this.  I knew it was going to come out again, but was surprised it was the Post.  I think the family, deserves the respect, given they lost their father,and daughter.   

@mikeghg

#144 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

She wasn't at the funeral making a shitty eulogy. You are, whether consciously or not, normalizing behavior that in absolutely no way should be normalized--it's already happening enough in our society.

I'm not normalizing anything, nor am I excusing the assault charge.

#145 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

I agree with this.  I knew it was going to come out again, but was surprised it was the Post.  I think the family, deserves the respect, given they lost their father,and daughter.   

This is irrelevant to the discussion, though.

@DJ_McCann

#146 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

I guess my issue is that a lot of people would be pissed (and rightfully so) when Michael Vick dies, if the media is nothing but a total wankfest for him. In other words, talking about how he led the way for Lamar, Watson, etc., and completely overlooking his transgressions off the field.

Yes, the charges were dropped, but the fact he apologized (not to mention settle a multi-million $ lawsuit with the claimant afterwards) would lead me to believe the things that happened in that hotel room weren’t entirely kosher...

Like it or not, the allegations made against him are part of his narrative. And I’m saying this as someone else who’s significantly saddened by his passing.

I completely agree.

The accusation is a part of Bryant's legacy.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#147 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:52 PM

Reminds me of the time I got neg repped for calling Michael Jackson a child molester in the middle of his weepy RIP thread at OH.

I guess your pointing out the obvious hurt someone's feelings. I would have given you a greenie if I had seen it.

#148 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

There's a -lot- of discussions that have been had on where the allegations "fit." 

Fair or unfair, where it fits in his obit is directly related to his contributions. He's one of the most famous sports players of all time, and that will rank higher. 

When other stars with similar/related allegations die (Big Ben, for one), the allegations will likely be higher on the obit, simply because they aren't "bigger than the game."

#149 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:10 PM

https://nba.nbcsport...or-kobe-bryant/

The All-Star Game is adjusting its format to honor Kobe.

@DJ_McCann

#150 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:29 PM

https://nba.nbcsport...or-kobe-bryant/

The All-Star Game is adjusting its format to honor Kobe.

Seems a bit goofy, but okay.  

@mikeghg

#151 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:20 AM

I don't think anyone is normalizing his behavior from almost 20 years ago. People were mad because his body wasn't even cold yet and she's bringing up the case from almost two decades ago, where their were significant questions on both sides, and it was never proven to be sexual assault or rape. The case itself was very foggy if I remember right. Kobe admitted to having rough sex and was very honest and clear about what went on. And if I remember right the woman had a rape examination done and the doctor performing it said they found DNA from multiple sexual partners, and found pubic hair belonging to a caucasian Male on her as well. The injuries found were consistent with a woman that could have been raped, or simply just had multiple sexual encounters in a short period of time. It made the whole case hazy. I still don't know how I feel about it. I don't think this is a case where it was a woman looking for a pay day. IMO it was a consensual act that got out of hand and Kobe went too far while he was "in the zone", and he did things that the female didn't want done.

In any case, it isn't something that should be publically posted by a reporter HOURS after the person dies tragically with his 13 year old daughter and 7 other innocent people. It's a terrible look. At least wait until the body is cold, and people have had time to process the shock of a legend of his sport passing at only 41 in a tragic accident.

#152 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:00 AM

I don't think anyone is normalizing his behavior from almost 20 years ago. People were mad because his body wasn't even cold yet and she's bringing up the case from almost two decades ago, where their were significant questions on both sides, and it was never proven to be sexual assault or rape. The case itself was very foggy if I remember right. Kobe admitted to having rough sex and was very honest and clear about what went on. And if I remember right the woman had a rape examination done and the doctor performing it said they found DNA from multiple sexual partners, and found pubic hair belonging to a caucasian Male on her as well. The injuries found were consistent with a woman that could have been raped, or simply just had multiple sexual encounters in a short period of time. It made the whole case hazy. I still don't know how I feel about it. I don't think this is a case where it was a woman looking for a pay day. IMO it was a consensual act that got out of hand and Kobe went too far while he was "in the zone", and he did things that the female didn't want done.

In any case, it isn't something that should be publically posted by a reporter HOURS after the person dies tragically with his 13 year old daughter and 7 other innocent people. It's a terrible look. At least wait until the body is cold, and people have had time to process the shock of a legend of his sport passing at only 41 in a tragic accident.

The reporter was quickly reinstated by the Washington Post after it had been determined that she had not violated the paper's social media policy.

I think her tweet was pretty similar to the Houston reporter who posts the domestic violence hot line every time Osuna enters a game for the Astros.

While I think Bryant's ( and the other people's well) death was tragic, I don't think what she did was wrong or unfair. The case was part of a life that was spent in the public spotlight.

#153 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:02 AM

Its part of his life as a public figure. ESPN alluded to it when they aired their career montage. It doesnt define him, we dont know the whole story, we never will, but it was a part of his story.
  • russsnyder likes this

#154 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:04 AM

That tribute as Staples last night was next level emotional..

at this point, if anyone still "hates" on LeBron, they need their head examined. 

@beginthebegin71

#155 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:34 AM

That tribute as Staples last night was next level emotional..

at this point, if anyone still "hates" on LeBron, they need their head examined.

Lebron is as great an ambassador for the sport as there has ever been.
  • SBTarheel likes this

#156 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:38 AM

I was referring to the people threatening the reporter as the behavior being reinforced--that it's OK to wave off the threats due to their anger because she wasn't "supposed" to talk about this.

@DJ_McCann

#157 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:04 AM

Lebron is as great an ambassador for the sport as there has ever been.

Amen, brother. 

@beginthebegin71

#158 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:06 AM

I was referring to the people threatening the reporter as the behavior being reinforced--that it's OK to wave off the threats due to their anger because she wasn't "supposed" to talk about this.

Yeah, both the alleged sexual assault victim and reporter endured death threats from Bryant's fans. Ridiculous.

#159 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 January 2023 - 03:38 PM

Gone three years ago today…

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."