164 replies to this topic

#61 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:11 PM

NBCW is showing literally every Alex Ovechkin ever on his way to 700 goals. Currently 692.

Show is slotted for an hour and half with little to no interruption.
@BSLMikeRandall

#62 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:54 PM

Can someone good at math and that knows hockey tell me the odds Ovi eventually passes Gretzky?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#63 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:07 AM

Can someone good at math and that knows hockey tell me the odds Ovi eventually passes Gretzky?

Ovi is 202 goals shy of Gretzky. He's on pace to finish this year with at least another 50 goals. Sits at 34 right now. 16 more puts him at 708. 

Using round numbers, to get 200 more goals after this year is 50 a year for four years. 

He's 34 now. If he plays until 40 years old, he'll break it. Even is he regresses, the closer he gets, the more likely he hangs around just to break it. Don't see him hanging it up at 40 being 20 goals or something short.

Any serious injury that causes him to lose most of a season would put it in danger, but if I'm a betting man, I'm betting he breaks it.

@BSLMikeRandall

#64 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:15 AM

I still don't know that the toll hockey takes on players bodies (The speed, the hitting, 82 games plus playoffs) how guys routinely play up to age 40, and sometimes well past it. Jagr was 44. Selanne was 43. 

But a running back is toast by age 30-32 unless your name is Frank Gore.

@BSLMikeRandall

#65 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:55 PM

Let's not forget that his rookie year was delayed a whole year by the damn lockout.  Missing that whole season cost him at least 40 goals.

Missed another 30 or games from the next lockout (Nice work Bettman!).  If it wasn't for those two work stoppages he would mos likely be around 750 right now already.

Quick side note everyone likes to talk about Goodell being the worst commissioner but it's Bettman and it's not even close.

#66 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:59 PM

Let's not forget that his rookie year was delayed a whole year by the damn lockout.  Missing that whole season cost him at least 40 goals.

Missed another 30 or games from the next lockout (Nice work Bettman!).  If it wasn't for those two work stoppages he would mos likely be around 750 right now already.

Quick side note everyone likes to talk about Goodell being the worst commissioner but it's Bettman and it's not even close.

Great point about the missed time. Damn. Haven't really thought about that.

Bettman is terrible. But I'll always pretty much despite Goodell for actively covering up CTE and costing people their livelihood and lives. He's a truly awful human, in addition to being a bad commissioner. 

#67 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:36 AM

14 goals in the last 7 games for #8, Ovie is locked in right now!

#68 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:21 PM

14 goals in the last 7 games for #8, Ovie is locked in right now!

Hat trick last night puts him tied for fifth all-time in multi-goal games.

Also league leading 40 goals.
@BSLMikeRandall

#69 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

I still don't know that the toll hockey takes on players bodies (The speed, the hitting, 82 games plus playoffs) how guys routinely play up to age 40, and sometimes well past it. Jagr was 44. Selanne was 43. 

But a running back is toast by age 30-32 unless your name is Frank Gore.

cause there's a gentleman's agreement in hockey that you don't go after players that aren't going after you. So if an older player that can't handle the physical banging isn't drilling your guys or playing dirty, you don't hit him, or at least you pull your checks. It's kind of understood the older the players get the less you go after them.

For years this is exactly why Enforcers had jobs. You also didn't go after star offensive players. So if you had a gripe with someone over there, you took it out on their enforcer. It's changed a bit over the past 20 years, more widespread physicality, but there are still unwritten rules about going after older and star players.

That's why when you hear people getting REALLY bent out of shape over something or a dirty hit, it's usually cause they hit someone they weren't supposed to. Physical guys, 4th liners, they know their lot, it's part of the game, but you don't go hitting and trying to maim a top line guy, cause they could just turn around and do the same thing to your team and then no one has any talented offensive players.

@JeremyMStrain

#70 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

cause there's a gentleman's agreement in hockey that you don't go after players that aren't going after you. So if an older player that can't handle the physical banging isn't drilling your guys or playing dirty, you don't hit him, or at least you pull your checks. It's kind of understood the older the players get the less you go after them.

For years this is exactly why Enforcers had jobs. You also didn't go after star offensive players. So if you had a gripe with someone over there, you took it out on their enforcer. It's changed a bit over the past 20 years, more widespread physicality, but there are still unwritten rules about going after older and star players.

That's why when you hear people getting REALLY bent out of shape over something or a dirty hit, it's usually cause they hit someone they weren't supposed to. Physical guys, 4th liners, they know their lot, it's part of the game, but you don't go hitting and trying to maim a top line guy, cause they could just turn around and do the same thing to your team and then no one has any talented offensive players.

I get all that. But Ovi I feel like bangs around with the best of em. He not Tom Wilson, he’s got guys do his fighting for him. But he dishes out hits, and takes some.
@BSLMikeRandall

#71 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:30 PM

I get all that. But Ovi I feel like bangs around with the best of em. He not Tom Wilson, he’s got guys do his fighting for him. But he dishes out hits, and takes some.

Yeah that's another layer that makes him even more special. He's not one of those guys that shies away from contact or guys avoid. I was talking more about guys like Crosby, Jagr, Moginly, Selanne, Kovalchuck.

Ovi is more like Tkachuck, where he's a power forward that mixes it up, so for him to go this strong with all the bumps and bruises he takes is something else. I don't know that he'll make it past 40, at least over here...but it's amazing the pace he's on right now.

@JeremyMStrain

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

ESPN: Is Alex Ovechkin the NHL's greatest goal scorer ever?
https://www.espn.com...oal-scorer-ever

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

RMNB: Where art thou, offense?: Coyotes beat Caps 3-1

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:55 PM

Ovi scored in the 1st, #699. It's 2-2 against Montreal heading into the 3rd. My girls best friend who lost her husband in a car accident last year is there with her 2 sons who are huge Caps fans. Really want this for them.

#75 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:35 PM

Lost again. Sheesh

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#76 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:12 PM

Damn. Rough stretch. At least they etched out a point (something I didn't envision myself saying about this team this year). But I'm not worried yet. Dillon is a great addition. Every Cup team goes through a stretch like this.

Maybe Ovi can get #700 vs. Pittsburgh, that'd be great.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

There it is, #700 to tie the game at 2 in New Jersey.

#78 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:02 PM

https://twitter.com/...309912325656577

#79 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:48 PM

Caps looked in midseason form today in a great win vs. Pittsburgh at home to reclaim 1st place in the Metro. Holt by looked great. Overcame goals from Crosby and Malkin. Damn I hate those dbags.
  • ivanbalt likes this

#80 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:23 AM

Caps acquired Kovalchuk for a 3rd round pick. Even if he is "washed up," I love it.

Any chance the Caps could finagle a deal for Thornton as well? He's another guy I'd love to see with the opportunity to raise Sir Stanley.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=