• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:37 AM

Interesting article, but the issues are kind of non-issues.

A lot of worry about the bottom 2 defense pairings, but much like the argument of if someone is a LW/RW does it really matter?

Ok, so perception is the problem here. People hear 3rd pair and go, oh, the guys that get 10 min or less a game and never any important minutes, they are just there to give the other 4 a breather. BUT not all teams are built like that. SOMETIMES, you have a team deep enough that the bottom 2 pairs are actually pretty even, so you have 1 top pair, and 2 2nd pairs. With these, you'll see the minutes balanced more between the bottom 4 guys, but you don't see it an awful lot, because it's usually expensive and in these days of the cap, the bottom 4 is not where you want to spend money.

It's actually usually what happens after a contender acquires a rental down the stretch, just done before the deadline. There's no issue moving Radko and Jensen around on the 2nd/3rd pair, you just balance the minutes out.

Hopefully Ilya steps up and can fill Holtby's shoes, cause that solves the cap issues, and it may be easier to recover from than losing a legit #1 Center.

As long as they can stay healthy, they are lined up really well right now. Most complete team since the dominating presidents trophy winning team that failed in the first round. Season starts over again in the playoffs.

@JeremyMStrain

#42 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

Went to the Caps-Flyers game last night (Drexel Night!). Fun game for a 1-1 result with a shootout.

@DJ_McCann

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:51 AM

Went to the Caps-Flyers game last night (Drexel Night!). Fun game for a 1-1 result with a shootout.

Good game to be at. Flyers are really playing well. That goalie had some real nice moments. 

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:53 AM

Good game to be at. Flyers are really playing well. That goalie had some real nice moments. 

Yeah. IANAH(ockey)E(xpert), but it felt like the Caps came out hard, then from about the 5:00 mark in the first period the Flyers took over and just didn't get the right bounces.

@DJ_McCann

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:57 AM

I'm not either, as much as I wish I was. But I agree. Really, once Philly tied it up, the momentum changed completely. Holtby was on his game last night, as was the defense. 

But hey, you know you're good when this is considered one of your slumps (for the Caps). Having lost in a shootout to Phoenix Monday, needing a shootout to get 2 points against Philly last night, and needing OT to defeat the Panthers last Thursday. This is what really good teams do - find a way to scratch out points when things are necessarily going as well as you'd like.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:28 PM

Washington Post: Winning too much?

https://www.washingt...dents-trophies/

#47 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:54 AM

Caps and Backstrom have begun discussing an extension!  Even better #19 is doing this without an agent, clearly Nick wants to stay and you have to think this gets done.

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 03:32 PM

Caps and Backstrom have begun discussing an extension!  Even better #19 is doing this without an agent, clearly Nick wants to stay and you have to think this gets done.

Figured that was coming. Especially with young kids, uprooting is tough.

@JeremyMStrain

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:34 AM

Washington Post: John Carlson scores twice as Capitals keep rolling on the road
https://www.washingt...6ff7_story.html

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:53 PM

Washington Post: The Capitals, with their lineup fully intact, look woefully out of sync in a loss to Columbus
https://www.washingt...c60d_story.html

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:51 AM

Japers Rink: Optimizing the Lineup: How the Capitals Can Be Even Better

https://www.japersri...-be-even-better

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:38 AM

Washington Post: In yet another comeback, tightknit Capitals show their resolve
https://www.washingt...-their-resolve/

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

Nice effort from the Caps tonight.

#54 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:21 AM

Caps extend Backstrom!

The good news is he gets 5 more years, the bad news he's getting 9.2 million a year.  That number is shocking to me, I would have expected an amount similar to what he's making maybe something in the 7's but so much for that notion.  #19 has always been my favorite so I'm glad he's back but this deal all but confirms Holtby is going to be gone.

#55 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

Caps extend Backstrom!

The good news is he gets 5 more years, the bad news he's getting 9.2 million a year.  That number is shocking to me, I would have expected an amount similar to what he's making maybe something in the 7's but so much for that notion.  #19 has always been my favorite so I'm glad he's back but this deal all but confirms Holtby is going to be gone.

With what other players have been getting it's right about what I expected. If he hit the open market, he'd have gotten more than that. SOME team would have paid happily to get a legit first line center and playmaker. His style of play tends to lend towards not falling off as early, he's not a bruising physical C. So chances are that he produces all 5 years...at what level remains to be seen...but good odds he'll at least be a good 2nd line C at 37.

@JeremyMStrain

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

Samsonov looks like the real deal. 

Holtby is playing himself out of a mega deal, at least IMO. He'll get a nice deal still given the rep, but he's having a bad year. Should NOT be an all-star.

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

Samsonov looks like the real deal. 

Holtby is playing himself out of a mega deal, at least IMO. He'll get a nice deal still given the rep, but he's having a bad year. Should NOT be an all-star.

I think they are doing a good job of interning him and getting him a taste without throwing him to the wolves. Holtby knows he's moving on after this, he'll get a good sized deal somewhere, and they just can't afford it, everyone is being very professional about mentoring before he goes.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#58 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:51 AM

I think they are doing a good job of interning him and getting him a taste without throwing him to the wolves. Holtby knows he's moving on after this, he'll get a good sized deal somewhere, and they just can't afford it, everyone is being very professional about mentoring before he goes.

I mean, that's good to hear - and at the same time, Holtby isn't producing in the net himself. He needs to step up. The window is only open for so long and he's been a detriment. Love the guy, it's going to really suck to see him in another uniform. I was nearly alone in how high I was on Holtby among the trio of he, Neuvy and Varly. But he needs to be better this year. Not as a mentor (Samsonov is doing just fine), but as the team's veteran goalie. He's 41st in GAA and 42nd in SV%. Samsonov is 1st and 7th in those stats respectively.

#59 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:52 PM

I mean, that's good to hear - and at the same time, Holtby isn't producing in the net himself. He needs to step up. The window is only open for so long and he's been a detriment. Love the guy, it's going to really suck to see him in another uniform. I was nearly alone in how high I was on Holtby among the trio of he, Neuvy and Varly. But he needs to be better this year. Not as a mentor (Samsonov is doing just fine), but as the team's veteran goalie. He's 41st in GAA and 42nd in SV%. Samsonov is 1st and 7th in those stats respectively.

He was worse the year we won the cup. I mean you've said it yourself, the regular season means almost nothing right? Not something we can lose sleep over until the playoffs show up.

I mean we are kinda where we want to be. We don't need/really want to win the president's cup. Just make the playoffs without facing a streaking team in the first round and let things fall where they may. You know not to get too worked up yet. :)

Heard recently that he may not be as gone as we thought either...depending on the term, he was trying to stay...but most feel like it'd be 3-4 years at most (and then he's blocking Samsonov at that point, so it'd become more of a share) and he's going to get a 6-7 year offer on the open market, so it's stupid for him to not take it.

Looks like another year for a Caps v Pens matchup too :/

@JeremyMStrain

#60 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

Pens look great, especially given all the injuries they've endured. Similar situation with them, in that they've handed shifted the starting duties from Murray to Jarry.

I'm not worked up, just saying Holt by has stunk this year. Maybe Samsonov starting primarily will motivate him, as it did when Grubauer started the year they won the Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=